BBC Africa: Eye to eye with the unknown

191011121315»

Comments

• Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    demfe wrote: »
    I was wondering why the three sisters couldn't step in and help, but they did so with the mothers?

Yah I always wondered why they couldn't step in. I guess there are just some things you just can't help
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to applaud the bbc because this show was just beautiful and to see how things are being effecting by things such as global warming etc really hammers home the damage it can do to so many things. Especial some of those poor animals. Thank you BBC
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely ending! :cry::cry::cry:

Thanks David, camera people, crew.
  • harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A stunning series. Congratulations to all involved.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an absolute treat from start to finish. I hope they do this for all the other continents although, sadly, I can't see David Attenborough being involved in much more (hope I'm wrong) and it just wouldn't be the same without him:
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    What an absolute treat from start to finish. I hope they do this for all the other continents although, sadly, I can't see David Attenborough being involved in much more (hope I'm wrong) and it just wouldn't be the same without him:

He is just back from filming something in China last week I believe.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    The daily rerunning of all of his earlier series has the feel of a requiem to me. Although he looks wellI enough is there something we are not being told?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Africas population out of control in the way it is, these animals are going to need all the help they can get.

Over half of Africa's population live in five of Africa's 51 countries, Nigeria, Egypt, Ethiopia, Congo and SA.

Vast parts of the continent are sparsely populated.

The real threat is from Asian population growth particularly India and China. They have of recent started by vast tracts of land in Africa to growth food for the vast population back home.

This expansion of agricutural land will squeeze the land available for wildlife.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep. Others have tried to fill his shoes, eg John Hurt, David Tennant, Steven Fry but wildlife documentaries just aren't the same without him.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it's heart-warming to see these small groups of concerned people doing what they can to protect animals, I feel depressed at the general situation re the decline of wildlife due to people's behaviour.:(
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fancy David Attenborough....I know he's older than my mum, but he is seriously attractive :p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He's got new series on Sky and Eden at the moment.
    http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4061/701
    http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/1833/518
    http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4052/180
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why the final epsiode has been removed from iPlayer?
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoom7000 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the final epsiode has been removed from iPlayer?

No but I noticed that too as I haven't seen it yet. Will have to record the repeat tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    There is widespread acknowledgement within the scientific community that the climate of Africa has been changing as stated in the programme. We accept the evidence for 3.5 degrees increase is disputable and the commentary should have reflected that, therefore the line is being removed from the episode repeat (10 February) and the iPlayer version replaced.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qmbqn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Terrible! You'd think Attenborough went on a 4 letter tirade or something! :p
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoom7000 wrote: »
    Terrible! You'd think Attenborough went on a 4 letter tirade or something! :p

Well it's certainly correct that they remove it if this is purporting to be a serious scientific documentary yet it's quoting dodgy figures.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know the ratings for the series.

Although I did enjoy it, I enjoyed the first episode the best but each was slightly less interesting as the series went on. The final episode was a strong finish to the series though.
    Forum Member
    I think there is a recap show on now