CryptoLocker - wonder when it'll hit here

2»

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still a relevant thread:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25506020 - 250,000 machines affected.
  • Options
    TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse my ignorance.

But could CryptoLocker attack files that are already encrypted, such as my backups and certain other data files?
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linux users laugh in the face of Cryptolocker.:)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse my ignorance.

But could CryptoLocker attack files that are already encrypted, such as my backups and certain other data files?
    Yes, it would just scramble the files on the drive, whether they are encrypted or not.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

Linux isn't free from being attacked by viruses.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

nothing to stop the writers producing a version for linux/macs, its just theres little profit in it
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and I laugh at Linux users having to write command line gibberish to do the simplest task. Install Flash? - open a console and make sure the syntax for all that '$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree' lunacy is correct - and if it doesn't install, don't expect any help from Linux forums. The smug idiots just laugh at the noobs who can't speak Bash.

Who writes serious software that runs on Linux? eg Cinema 4D, 3DS max, Adobe Master Collection or even Camtasia. Don't say Wine emulator, because not only does it constantly crash, but who would want to do cpu intensive stuff like long render runs on an emulator.

I've got 15 grand's worth of hardware + software. Windows 7 is 70 quid and it works. Linux doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    and I laugh at Linux users having to write command line gibberish to do the simplest task. Install Flash? - open a console and make sure the syntax for all that '$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree' lunacy is correct - and if it doesn't install, don't expect any help from Linux forums. The smug idiots just laugh at the noobs who can't speak Bash.

Who writes serious software that runs on Linux? eg Cinema 4D, 3DS max, Adobe Master Collection or even Camtasia. Don't say Wine emulator, because not only does it constantly crash, but who would want to do cpu intensive stuff like long render runs on an emulator.

I've got 15 grand's worth of hardware + software. Windows 7 is 70 quid and it works. Linux doesn't.

Bloody hell! You must have one seriously bloody fast computer if it's even a 7th of that.
  • Options
    henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    and with the likes of Linux Mint and LXLE it is extremely unlikely you would ever use a command line or bash, or whatever it is called.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Bloody hell! You must have one seriously bloody fast computer if it's even a 7th of that.

Well, if he's talking 3ds Max then that's 3-4k straight off. Not sure why he'd have Cinema 4d but the Master Collection is another few grand, too... He's almost turning it into a peeing contest, though...
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I have Windows 8. My computer expert says it's got enough preventative measures to stop vicious attacks. Is this true? Is it worth getting an Internet security program to make my computer safer?

Is bitdefender any good? Any recommendations for a total package for Windows 8?
  • Options
    TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Yes, it would just scramble the files on the drive, whether they are encrypted or not.
    Thanks.

Don't want to appear paranoid about this but will likely make a periodic off-line archive backup.

But you never know. It only takes a moments lapse to click a link in a spam email...

CryptoLocker looks very nasty.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Why not simply install something like CryptoPreventer in the first place so you won't have the worry of being attacked?
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linux isn't free from being attacked by viruses.

The trouble with Linux and OSX is that they are no fun. What would people have to write about if they didn't run a vulnerable OS that was forever providing new challenges? :cool:
    What really amazes me, however, is the number of really elderly people who are still up for the challenge. Even though most of them do nothing more than use email and web browsing, they stubbornly refuse to run Linux or OSX. Again, I think it's because they'd have nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with Linux and OSX is that they are no fun. What would people have to write about if they didn't run a vulnerable OS that was forever providing new challenges? :cool:
    What really amazes me, however, is the number of really elderly people who are still up for the challenge. Even though most of them do nothing more than use email and web browsing, they stubbornly refuse to run Linux or OSX. Again, I think it's because they'd have nothing to complain about.

If all I did was surf the internet and encode films and what not, I'd move over to Linux in a flash. It's the games part that's stopping me. I think with a lot people out there see Windows as the safe option. They probably see Linux as being difficult or whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Why not simply install something like CryptoPreventer in the first place so you won't have the worry of being attacked?

If Cryptoprevent locks down the PC to prevent infection, how on earth are you meant to access your files without getting rid of the virus first? Or do you still have to get rid of the virus but your files will be okay and won't be encrypted by it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If all I did was surf the internet and encode films and what not, I'd move over to Linux in a flash. It's the games part that's stopping me. I think with a lot people out there see Windows as the safe option. They probably see Linux as being difficult or whatever.

It's true that Linux users are poorly served when it come to games but for non-juvenile uses it's excellent.
    Anyone who thinks it still requires typing in commands all the time must be living in a cave.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

Never heard of any of those but all the software on my Linux Mint laptop didn't cost a penny and it all works.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of any of those but all the software on my Linux Mint laptop didn't cost a penny and it all works.

I use 3ds Max and various Adobe software. 3ds certainly doesn't work natively on Linux nor would I risk it under Wine. Yes, there are open source pieces of software which do similar (Blender, for example) but for my particular workflow and speed of which I need to turn stuff around the Linux alternatives can't currently cut it. Linux and free software work perfectly under certain situations but not in my bread and butter work.

I have machines that run Linux (LXLE, Lubuntu and Mint), I also have a Mac, but for some jobs with some high end software Windows has to be used.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    If Cryptoprevent locks down the PC to prevent infection, how on earth are you meant to access your files without getting rid of the virus first? Or do you still have to get rid of the virus but your files will be okay and won't be encrypted by it?

Cryptoprevent. Works if per chance your AV fails to pick up the threat. If it does slip in unnoticed then it can't lock your files. It is of no use if the worst has already happened.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

The files are gone for good once attacked. Cryptoprevent stops any new ones being encrypted in another attack. The question is if cryptoprevent stops the next variant of cryptolocker too. There were 6 variants added in one recent update to superantispyware alone - so will the prevention keep on working? If it does what else does it prevent you doing?

You also not only have to get rid of the cryptolocker but whats on your machine that downloaded it, and anything else its downloaded. The version I looked at in symantec's library is downloaded by a downloader thats actually whats in the email attachment. The downloader could download multiple things - not least a keylogger to note what credit card people paid the ransom with so that that can be used too ......