No Sound form Blu Ray Player through HDMI cable

Hi All,

Completely new to this and somewhat of a technophobe!!

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player connected throught a HDMI cable to a Toshiba TV.

Problem is I get no sound through this cable, I've tried playing about with output settings on Player menu, but nothing seems to work.

At present as a work a round I'm running the sound through a Samsung sound bar.

Any ideas how I can play sound directly from blu ray player through the tv?

Thanks in avance.

Stuart

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that setting the Blu-ray to output PCM stereo sound should allow that to send the sound to the TV through the HDMI? (you may have to disable secondary audio and turn on PCM downmix)
    It's strange that none of the audio options in the Blu-ray menu produces any sound?

My only other thought is that you are perhaps plugging it into an HDMI port on the TV that is designed for a computer connection via a DVI to HDMI lead, so it might be looking for the sound through a separate associated 3.5mm socket?
    It might be something you can configure in the TV menu for that HDMI port.

Have you tried another HDMI lead, just in case it's faulty?

If you tell us the TV model and Blu-ray model, someone might be able to get an answer by googling.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Just a thought, but does your TV have a setting that disables sound to the TV speakers when using HDMI?
    Maybe its been enabled.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it is the lead. The audio data is embedded in the video data. Would be a very clever lead indeed that could strip out just the audio and leave the video intact.

Much more likely is the Blu-Ray is outputting a format the TV doesn't understand. LPCM is an alternative name for Stereo PCM. And plugging it into a socket that could be used with a PC is a possibility. Most TV's I've seen that have an HDMI plus 3.5mm jack for audio will have a setting to switch the audio between the HDMI and jack if they don't do it by auto detecting a jack plug in the socket.

And of course it is always possible there is some odd fault on the HDMI socket on the telly so always try another socket. And if you can try some other device with HDMI output in place of the Blu-Ray to see if that provides sound to the TV.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,332
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think the OP has tried this - but how about trying turning the volume up?.

It's normal for inputs to have separate volume settings, so while normal TV may be turned up, HDMI 'could' be turned right down?.

Just a thought!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Thanks people. Have definitely tried turning PCM on and secondary audio.

I'll try my SKY box in that socket as that plays sound through the TV no problems.

Will keep you posted!
    Forum Member
    Sorted!

Under the HDMI connection sub menu on blu ray player there was a 'hdmi audio output' option.

Feel a bit stupid now lol :confused:
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,332
    Forum Member
    Sorted!

Under the HDMI connection sub menu on blu ray player there was a 'hdmi audio output' option.

No reason to - it's a bit of an obscure option, and who turned it OFF?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...probably the same entity who turns Audio Description on/off on setups without letting aanyone else know:D
    Forum Member
    No idea, certainly wasnt me, its a new tv! Perhaps its a thing they do on secondary HDMI ports, because, as previously mentioned sky works fine with sound through HDMI 1 !:p
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorted!

No, do not feel like that. Technology these days is becoming so complicated that so many people these days are having problems with it. I have a ten speaker home cinema system which took me ages to set up, wire correctly and adding 5 DVD players as well as a Sky HD Box, so you can imagine the problems I had.

Next week I am adding a Tivo Box courtesy of Virgin, so that will take some faffing on to get that working.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, certainly wasnt me, its a new tv! Perhaps its a thing they do on secondary HDMI ports, because, as previously mentioned sky works fine with sound through HDMI 1 !:p

Because Sky+HD doesn't output DD5.1 through HDMI - PCM stereo only. And Sky have set it up like this precisely because many television sets can't handle a digital audio input as they have stereo only processors built into them, so Sky would be inundated with phonecalls from people not getting audio on their telly through the HDMI input either.

In a nutshell - the majority of older TV sets have only a stereo processor. Therefore, they can only handle PCM stereo input. Feed them a digital signal (DTS or DD) and they can't handle it - so produce no audio output. You need to configure the equipment which is feeding this audio to the TV to only send a PCM stereo signal for the TV to be able to process the audio.