Noisy new laptop

TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bought a new windows 8 laptop COMPAQ CQ58-331SA 2 days ago,only £280 but had the same make before and no problems ive noticed a whirling noise which i think is coming from the hard drive, not very noisy but annoying and wondering if this is common with other laptops as am thinking of taking it back.
It always happens when am navigating round the web.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could be the fan being a bit noisier than normal but since its being loud from the outset just return it
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be the HDD or...

My CQ61 fan was sometimes noisy from a few weeks old.
    Not dependent on load, just a funny, rattly, grindy noisy.

I could 'fix' for minutes or days by tapping the case above the fan.

I dropped the laptop before I could send it back under warranty so gave me opportunity to replace cracked screen and have a look at fan myself.

Fan was sticking (so I put a drop of 3in1 on the axis) and I also considered it was not fixed very well and could have been vibrating against the logic board or case..

Overall it has been a good laptop but I wasn't impressed at the time when I had a look inside.

Backup your data and return yours , is my advice.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be the HDD or...

My CQ61 fan was sometimes noisy from a few weeks old.
    Not dependent on load, just a funny, rattly, grindy noisy.

I could 'fix' for minutes or days by tapping the case above the fan.

I dropped the laptop before I could send it back under warranty so gave me opportunity to replace cracked screen and have a look at fan myself.

Fan was sticking (so I put a drop of 3in1 on the axis) and I also considered it was not fixed very well and could have been vibrating against the logic board or case..

Overall it has been a good laptop but I wasn't impressed at the time when I had a look inside.

Backup your data and return yours , is my advice.

Yeahh my last Compaq sometimes went a bit mad with the fan but the noise is deffo not the fan but your description is better suited to the problem i have now, gritty noise. had a similar noise with sky box updates solved that problem.