The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised it was Lendl who wanted to stop the partnership. He obviously has other things he wants to do, but I do feel bad for Andy!
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised it was Lendl who wanted to stop the partnership. He obviously has other things he wants to do, but I do feel bad for Andy!

Yeah I had this feeling too, it just seemed like it was either Lendl wanting to move on, or some kind of falling out. I didn't think it would be Andy's choice, just based on the success they have had. Any way I'm thankful to Lendl for getting Murray over the last hurdle to win a slam.

That telegraph headline made me smile, it's like they are getting divorced lol.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Yeah I had this feeling too, it just seemed like it was either Lendl wanting to move on, or some kind of falling out. I didn't think it would be Andy's choice, just based on the success they have had. Any way I'm thankful to Lendl for getting Murray over the last hurdle to win a slam.

That telegraph headline made me smile, it's like they are getting divorced lol.

It does doesn't it. Headlines can really determine the way an article reads.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Murray really ought to win easy today. He's playing awful but at least he has a superb record here and it's his second home in a way

Plus Ebden is just simply atrocious
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »
    You didn't leave much else out though! :D Very impressive memory!
    I'm not Murray's biggest fan but as a Djokovic fan I thought Andy was a better player and more threatening opponent before his most successful years which doesn't really make sense.
    If it was just mental strength that Lendl brought, then hopefully Andy will be able to draw on it again when needed. I personally never saw their partnership as a long term thing. I agree with most though that the timing seems odd.

Agree completely! Late 2011 was probably his "peak" form and although there were flashes in 2012 it wasn't on a consistent basis!

It's hard to know if he'll ever get back to "peak" form again. I still think he'll win at least another Wimbledon and maybe an Australian but we'll probably never see him play to a hugely consistent high level again IMO. Can't see him ever getting #1
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Murray really ought to win easy today. He's playing awful but at least he has a superb record here and it's his second home in a way

Plus Ebden is just simply atrocious

There is a four hour time difference between UK and Miami, but it will still be a 1.30am start here.
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    There is a four hour time difference between UK and Miami, but it will still be a 1.30am start here.

Today, tomorrow, yesterday you know what I mean :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today, tomorrow, yesterday you know what I mean :p

I know what you mean. :)
    What I was trying to say that even with the short time difference with the US we are still stuck with watching Andy in the middle of the night.
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. :)
    What I was trying to say that even with the short time difference with the US we are still stuck with watching Andy in the middle of the night.

Yeah roll on the European season from April to July!

These different time zones begin to get on your nerves after a while- of course not much we can do :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree completely! Late 2011 was probably his "peak" form and although there were flashes in 2012 it wasn't on a consistent basis!

It's hard to know if he'll ever get back to "peak" form again. I still think he'll win at least another Wimbledon and maybe an Australian but we'll probably never see him play to a hugely consistent high level again IMO. Can't see him ever getting #1

I think Andy has always been quite inconsistent. To get to number 1 like Novak, Nadal and Roger you have to do consistently well all year round. Andy has always been rather hot and cold and the clay season definitely hits him quite hard. He has yet to win a title on that surface.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Andy has always been quite inconsistent. To get to number 1 like Novak, Nadal and Roger you have to do consistently well all year round. Andy has always been rather hot and cold and the clay season definitely hits him quite hard. He has yet to win a title on that surface.

Can't you even bear to call him by his first name as you have Novak and Roger? dear god you must really hate Rafa, if you spent a bit of time watching him off the court you would see that he is a sweetheart, he did a charity pokerstars thing on Wednesday Rafa VS The World and he was so sweet and lovely and adorable, seems to me if more people in this world were like Rafa the world would be a better place.

I really feel for Andy and I am worried about him I just hope he will be OK.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    Can't you even bear to call him by his first name as you have Novak and Roger? dear god you must really hate Rafa,

Dear God, why do people overreact to the most meaningless things? All she did was use his last name :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Dear God, why do people overreact to the most meaningless things? All she did was use his last name :confused:

Her over the top idolising of Nadal is actually quite worrying :o the world would be a better place if more people were like him? Must be a joke right? :confused:

Not as bad as ROFL, who still remains the only person on DS on my ignore list. But still. Almost sounds like they are just trolling or something, it's very OTT.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you even bear to call him by his first name as you have Novak and Roger? dear god you must really hate Rafa, if you spent a bit of time watching him off the court you would see that he is a sweetheart, he did a charity pokerstars thing on Wednesday Rafa VS The World and he was so sweet and lovely and adorable, seems to me if more people in this world were like Rafa the world would be a better place.

:confused:
    Players are addressed by their surname almost all the time? Stop looking for things to complain about.

Heck you do it yourself!
    Yes bye Del Potro, I am so Happy.:D
    So you did :) I am still worried about the Monfils match though.

I am really happy for Ana too I really like her.
    I put the press conference after the Rosol loss twice and can't edit it now, I meant to put this one up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oY6GRfNPbc

I am sure that Rafa would have never pulled out of the Olympics if he did not have to as he was so sad that he could not compete. I have read his book and he has had to have injections into his knee and believe me you don't do that for nothing I have had to have injections put into my back and it is not something you do for fun.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly this Indian Wells coverage is pissing me off, with it's domination by men's matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly this Indian Wells coverage is pissing me off, with it's domination by men's matches.

WTA is on BT Sport.
    Or not it seems:confused:
    It starts at midnight. Useless BT Sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTA is on BT Sport.
    Or not it seems:confused:
    It starts at midnight. Useless BT Sport.

It's the entire set-up, Cornet-Petko, Bouchard-Svit on outside courts. Not just BT sports fault. Sharapova wasn't even streamed anywhere. Compare it to last week and it's pathetic.

The no streaming thing is the main problem.
    Forum Member

Ha that's a bit much. Andy who knows him personally always calls him Nadal anytime I've heard him interviewed. And he always calls RF "Roger" and ND "Novak" most of the time so it's not as if he default calls people by surname either ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as if Bouchard is out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    as if Bouchard is out

Elina Svitolina, another great talent though, which is why I'd like to have seen the match.
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »

God it's ironic that people are reacting to what they consider an overreaction, you are all overreacting to what I said. :o

[QUOTE=attackmusic;71839512e a]Her over the top idolising of Nadal is actually quite worrying :o the world would be a better place if more people were like him? Must bsed: joke right? :confu
    Not as bad as ROFL, who still remains the only person on DS on my ignore list. But still. Almost sounds like they are just trolling or something, it's very OTT.[/QUOTE]

If you think this is over the top you should have seen me nearly ban my step daughter from my house for daring to pick on Paul McCartney once years ago. :D:p and if I could ever get my hands on a certain Mark Chapman I would be tempted to commit murder.

If I was just trolling why would I be worried about Andy? :confused:
    :confused:
    Players are addressed by their surname almost all the time? Stop looking for things to complain about.

Heck you do it yourself!

I know but in that post Novak and Roger were called by their first names and she always calls Rafa by his surname, I know I should not bother but I was just annoyed by her hatred of him, it really hits you in the face, had she said Djokovic, Federer and Nadal It wouldn't have bothered me.
    Ha that's a bit much. Andy who knows him personally always calls him Nadal anytime I've heard him interviewed. And he always calls RF "Roger" and ND "Novak" most of the time so it's not as if he default calls people by surname either ;)

I always hear Andy call Rafa Rafa for most of the time and only occasional hear him call him Nadal :confused: Unless I am going mad, but I always think aww Andy must really like Rafa whenever I hear him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muguruza out is out too. Very disappointing month for her, not winning a single match.

It's great to see Cibulkova still getting results since the Australian Open. I was convinced she'd go on a massive slump. Top ten soon hopefully :)
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unconfirmed reports that Delpo will undergo surgery on Monday & will be out for the season
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh wow. If this is true, and it more than likely is, it's very difficult to see Delpo ever getting anywhere near winning a slam again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unconfirmed reports that Delpo will undergo surgery on Monday & will be out for the season

I hope this isn't true :(
This discussion has been closed.