Doctor Who: Deep Breath. BBC1. 23/08/2014 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically I've never been a big fan but the last few series have lured me in.

Tonight just didn't do it for me I'm afraid.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Q&A at Norwich Vue :(
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Every episode in this first run of 6 has been written by Moffat = I despair >:(>:(

Nope.

Moffat has written episodes 1 and 4. He has co-writing credits for episodes 2, 5 and 6 but those episodes are predominantly written by Phil Ford, Steve Thompson and Gareth Roberts respectively.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Jenna stole the show with Clara having to carry most of the emotional weight of the episode. She was superb in the scene where the Doctor left her - mixed fearful, brave and clever beautifully. The idea that she was mourning her Doctor really worked.

The Paternoster Gang are still a lot of fun and Clara fitted in with them seamlessly. I'd love to see Clara end up living with them when she leaves the Doctor.

A bit daft that they had to find a way to make Jenny and Vastra's kiss 'practical'.

Matt's cameo was beautiful. The man who hates goodbyes phoning up Clara to say goodbye. Of course she didn't trust 12 after her left her in that situation and he wasn't sorry. It makes sense that she gives him a chance because 11 asks her to.

The villains were meh. Nothing much interesting about them. The dinosaur made about as much sense as the Statue of Liberty angel and was superfluous.

MUCH preferred off kilter post regen 12 to the serious mean and moody one we got later. It's a hero trope I'm tired of and the thing we had with 10 and 11 (whereby they were hiding a lot behind those daft exteriors and were big important men who REALLY didn't want it) was much more interesting. A disappointing lack of 'I am the Doctor' moment. Capaldi is of course good because he's a good actor. I just find 12 a bit cold and dry.

brilliant summary agree with everything
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just backed from the cinema. Really enjoyed it. I think I preferred The Eleventh Hour, but I knew it was always going to be hard to top.
    I think it was a bit slow to start off with and there were some scenes which I felt added nothing to the episode at all such as when Strax was scanning Clara, but once they all got into the spaceship under the café, it started to pick up substantially and ended very well.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Capaldi and finding out how all this Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere business pans out.

Good to have Doctor Who back on our screens! :)

I think that bit was an important prelude to the series and about Clara in general.... also the bit about her character traits..... I think it links in with Missy... (IMO)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new title sequence is a huge step up from the ones from last year.
    I listened to a recreation of the new theme on YouTube earlier and wasn't impressed, but the actual theme is much better. I just wish it included the middle 8 part in the end credits.
  • chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Capaldi is class and this is a very different doctor, so I am not surprised that Clara takes time to get used to him. It's not like the transition from one young man to a younger man. I think that the emphasis on his age and accent was for the audience - Peter is who he is and he's brilliant. He's not a cuddly Doctor. He looks older than he actually is. The Doctor IS old and so maybe the point is that he is not pretending to be young any more (one day we all reach that point).

I enjoyed this episode although I'm not a fan of the "robots are taking over" type of story. I like the star turn from the woman at the end who was in Green Wing and is very good at being weird in a brilliant way.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And subtitles. Oooh a reference to Good Will Hunting. How spooky.
    Wibbly wobbly, timey whimey
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    If Clara was the Impossible Girl and had been with all the previous incarnations of the Doctor... why does she suddenly can´t accept he has regenerated again?

I think it was because with those Drs she was watching out for them, but with Matt Smiths Dr she fell in love with him and couldn't let go. Hence the goodbye phone call. And Capaldi's Dr telling her he wasn't her boyfriend (but asking if that was her boyfriend calling her on the phone), he was over 2000yrs old and so can't be considered in that way.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Clara was the Impossible Girl and had been with all the previous incarnations of the Doctor... why does she suddenly can´t accept he has regenerated again?

She does but she's grieving HER Doctor. There's some pretty heavy hints during this episode that there was something underlying between them (she'd been with him 3 years) and now he's gone.
    Nope.

Moffat has written episodes 1 and 4. He has co-writing credits for episodes 2, 5 and 6 but those episodes are predominantly written by Phil Ford, Steve Thompson and Gareth Roberts respectively.

Don't underestimate just how much Moffat has fiddled with those scripts. That's how he's ended up with a writing credit on them!
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Deep Breath enjoyable and think Peter Capaldi is going to be a fab Doctor. I love Jenna Coleman and think they'll be great together. The Matt Smith cameo was a lovely touch: as good as I think Capaldi is going to be, I'm gonna miss that fella a lot.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Have just watched it....can't be arsed to read through 11 pages!! I know pretty much what they'd be like anyway! ;-)
    I thoroughly enjoyed it - all 1hr 20 mins of it !! What a treat for an opener.

Bit weird trying to find out what the Doctor was eventually going to be like.....but that's to be expected. Loved 'The Paternoster Gang' involved......I LOVE STRAX!!
    I also love Victorian settings and Sci-Fi (reminds me so much of Jules Verne-style stories).
    Looking forward to next week when the proper Doctor gets underway!!

My only gripes were....why didn't Clara understand about regeneration - she's already seen his other "12" lives ?? Or was her memory wiped?

And the opening titles were brilliant (based on a YOU TUBE fan's contribution I beleve....I've seen it too!) Wish they'd kept that contributers music aswell !
    That screeechy theme was like fingernails down a blackboard!! (Or my cat on heat)
    PLEASE bring back the original "OOO-EEEE-OOO" that they've always had!!

That's all for now x
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this episode is any guide then Dr Who has regenerated into a US-style sci-fi series for adults.

Although I would say more of a young male demographic if anything.

Anyway, it's a definite decline in the "family viewing" quotient.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    hated the first 45 mins

Hated the 'manic Dr' stage

I suppose we are going to have yet another long story arc going by the ending

hope it gets better

Yes, the first half was an effort and the manic stuff was awful. It did pick up after that though.

I also found the anti-religion theme both welcome and prescient.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    And subtitles. Oooh a reference to Good Will Hunting. How spooky.

Dead Poets Society actually. That was rather coincidental or was it?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a great start for me, am a bit meh but didn't hate it! I didn't have the same blown away feeling I had with TEH. Not too keen on the new theme either, too tinny!

I so desperately want to like PC and I hope he grows on me.

The Paternoster gang were brilliant, Strax was on top form and could have done with a few more moments, Vastra was slick and Jenny was, well, that's private! ;)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite an episode. Clara's character seems to have become a no nonsense girl, possibly because of her being a teacher and The Doctor, he does need telling sometimes, calling Clara, thingy.:D

Nice hug between Clara and The Doctor:D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    You have stupid people who comment throughout the episode and then complain they have no idea what is going on.

You have more stupid people who insist that people might not like the episode because it was dialogue-heavy. It doesn't occur to them that not everybody will have liked it, and its not to everybody's tastes.

You have even more stupid people who after one episode react with overly melodramatic comments, and are suggesting they're going to stop watching now. Frankly, I wish I could believe that but they're the same annoying people who come back each week and say the same moronic things over and over again. When you post on a forum, people are interested in opinions on the show, not on your own personal love or offence to it. Why can't people post a bit more constructively, particularly those who insist on posting constantly throughout broadcast?

Why are there so many stupid people? :(
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    words preparing for a reaction

PLANET OF THE PUDDING BRAINS!

Sorry.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it! I miss Matt Smith but right now Capaldi is THE DOCTOR!
    In my many years of being on DS I've noticed that the DS way of looking at things is different than the rest of the viewers lol.

Yep, when you think this episode will get close to 10 million viewers in a week it doesn't mean a thing that 30 members of the Digital Spy forum found it boring. What I find with DS is the ones who post all the way through an episode and miss most of it because they want to be the first to comment about something that's just happened on screen are the ones who moan where as the ones who dare to switch off their laptops, sit back and enjoy the episode generally are more positive. :)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

MUCH preferred off kilter post regen 12 to the serious mean and moody one we got later. It's a hero trope I'm tired of and the thing we had with 10 and 11 (whereby they were hiding a lot behind those daft exteriors and were big important men who REALLY didn't want it) was much more interesting. A disappointing lack of 'I am the Doctor' moment. Capaldi is of course good because he's a good actor. I just find 12 a bit cold and dry.

You seem to be suggesting that you don't like Capaldi because his doctor is markedly different from Matt Smith's and David Tennant's doctors.

Surely it's a good thing that Capaldi isn't hiding behind a "daft exterior" - the daft wacky zany younger doctor thing was getting rather boring by Smith's last series.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. Capaldi is a good actor, Clara actually got some character development and I always enjoy seeing Madame Vastra and co.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like the new titles, didn't like the new theme, didn't like the new desktop theme, didn't like that Clara still didn't get killed off.

Started coming round to Capaldi though, he could work...
    Liked that the clockwork robots were back and that we start with plenty of mystery's to wonder about (The girl in the shop and the Doctor's apparent girlfriend in heaven)

The best part's for me were Strax and Matt's cameo.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I parts of it were good and I'm interested in the end bit and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Capaldi and hopefully next week will be amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the lush visuals, soundtrack, and pacing; did this have a higher budget than usual? It seemed so.

Yes, there was some audio issues early on, but I thought Peter was great.

The ending Paradise bit has me intrigued too.

And, holy heck, I now have (another) inappropriate crush on Jenny :p