LDR: Ultraviolence

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only semi-relevant however..... I'm thinking about purchasing The Black Keys: Turn Blue, but I can't listen to it anywhere first it would seem >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    love lana but the album is not very good. there's only 2 great songs black beauty and old money which are sublime the rest is disjointed and not very good.
    she has far better outtakes she is a very bad judge of her own material even down to the singles, but hats of to her for going less commercial and not caring but more meoldy would of been better.

for the next album i hope she branches out more. she has done the ride baby ride girl in a dress guy by her side music more than enough very springsteen/jim morrison which is great but time to change it up i think next time at least lyrically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I don't think it is a money issue. I think the "budget" videos are a deliberate vision she has for this album campaign with keeping everything simple and cohesive.
    There's also the fact she's always on the road touring now so she probably doesn't have time to clear a week out of her schedule for a big budget video shoot anyway:)

The next project is Rockaway most likely a video with James Franco since they were seen together in New York.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not normally a fan of remixes but Popjustice posted a clip of Ultraviolence (I am a camera remix) and I quite like it. I'm not sure if it's being released anywhere though...?

I changed the order of the album on my ipod when I first bought the album and now I can't listen to it any other way :p I feel it flows much better this way. F
    my way to the top sounds so good after West Coast.

Cruel World
    Shades of Cool
    Brooklyn Baby
    West Coast
    F
    my way to the top
    Sad Girl
    Money, Power, Glory
    Ultraviolence
    Pretty when you cry
    Old Money

I have to admit, I only discovered Paradise recently. :blush:

I was initially disappointed with Born to Die as a whole (I bought it during it's first week and only really loved parts of the album) and so kind of ignored the Paradise release (other than buying 'Ride').

It's a brilliant EP... I should have heard it sooner :p
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well whatever order you listen to it in its great to hear you enjoyed both UV and Paradise PJ1893 ;-).

I've loved pretty much everything she's done, but I like how the albums are generating totally different reactions out of people. A constant theme on this board has been some people loved Born to Die and hate this record, and some people weren't too keen on Born to Die bar say Video Games, but adore Ultraviolence. Think it shows that each album has its own character and has attracted its own set of fans.

As for all things Lana looks like she's gearing up to do some more pushing of all things Ultraviolence in September when she'll finally play the live lounge session she dropped out of doing earlier this year. Fingers crossed she'll play it this time. Makes you also wonder if they'll bring out another single around then too.

The run-up to Christmas is always a good time to "re-boot" an album too. Possibility of a Paradise Edition extended cut perhaps?

Also: Her ex-boyfriend Barrie James O'Niell aka "NiGHTMARE BOY" is finally bringing out his long awaited album and as we all suspected there's a duet with them both on it. Hope that doesn't end up being too painful for all involved i.e. has Barrie and Lana singing a duet with lines like "I've love you forever and we'll never be apart" and Lana responding "I'll never cheat on you, you're my one and love" while you end up thinking...oh dear... this was recorded a while before it all went wrong wasn't it?

And last little thought. Now she's friends/lovers with James Franco (plus the Italian Photographer she's also seeing) and she/they have this Rockaway project rbautz mentions, do you we think she might be being a bit cute here and getting Franco to open a few doors for her to get into acting in movies?

From a recent interview:
    You give the impression you don’t enjoy huge concerts, is that true?

I’m on tour in America since the first days of April, it’s the first time I play so many shows and everything goes exceptionally well. These past two years I don’t feel very well physically, I suffer from gastric ulcer, but I can make it through concerts who’s capacity can be over 9,000 people. I smoke, I drink a lot of coffee. I eat chocolate and pizza. My way of living when I’m not on tour isn’t that right. The fact I played Coachella and Glastonbury in the same year is a great honour. When I’m done with my tour, I’d like to occupy myself with cinema and movies. I have received some interesting suggestions and I’m really tempted to say ” Yes! “. When I was little I used to dream about Cannes, the festival, the prestige and the red carpet. I sang there last May for the third year in a row. As a teenager, I dreamt about living in France, an exile poetess. I really loved French culture, especially Serge Gainsbourg.

Whatever she does next I hope Lana fully recovers from the stomach ulcer and that she'll still keep making beautiful music.

Oh and one final, final point (very belated response I IZ Ghetto): The Black Keys album is an enjoyable listen and one of the better indie records this year. Don't know if you've seen the video for the single Weight of Love, its got a bit of their other hit off this record Fever playing at the start too. If you like those you'll probably like the whole record:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/16/the_black_keys_weight_of_love_music_video_watch_the_video_for_the_band_s.html

So yeah its quite a cool little album. But its not as cool as Lana's ;-) (Brooklyn Baby lyrical pun intended).
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the album underwhelming - it's not a bad album, it's just kind off there, Brooklyn Baby is the only track I go back to now. Whereas the first album was far more hit and miss - with songs I either liked a lot or didn't care for at all.
    She seems to be making headlines for 'celebrity' reasons now, rather than the music which is worringly heading down the Gaga route (picking up a lot of public hatred along the way) - and James 'Creepy ****er' Franco, really?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm disappointed Lana has chosen to associate herself with that narcissistic fool by the name of Franco:(
  • LMLM Posts: 63,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky Madam. Gets to hang with out Mr Franco. I like him. He is as ambigious as Lana.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Lana's current state of mind...

I would have to say with Ultraviolence everything was going swimmingly from the build-up promotion to the finished album itself. Then after that things just seem to have been wobbly in Lana's world. Whether it’s the break-up with Barrie or just that after 3 years+ of constantly doing this she's finally burnt out I don't know. She’s certainly not promoted this album as hard as she did Born to Die and that probably adds to feelings doubters have over this album. Over the past couple of months it does feel like she's just sort of imploded a bit and doesn't seem to entirely care. I really hope that it’s just a blip and she comes back all guns blazing for this Live Lounge in September. C'mon Lana you can do it!

I would fully compliment her on most of the live shows she’s played. She still loves her fans. But where are the new songs? It must be hard as to which one of her modern classics she will leave out, but you have to start doing sets of the new tracks otherwise it further triggers those doubters doubting the new album.

Going out with Mr Franco seems to be the peak of the Lana implosion. I’ve dissed him in previous comments on this board, but uh I dunno what to think of him really. I thought he was a good actor when he emerged on the scene, then he seemed to start taking too many drugs, had the inevitable come down from that and went a bit cuckoo.

Naturally then combine that with his pretty boy good looks and it was inevitable he would be irresistible to Lana for those reasons. Is he a good boyfriend for her? Erm…I really don’t like to judge…. Could be a really top bloke for all I know.

I doubt Franco or Francesco the Italian chap will push her career wise at all, unlike Barrie clearly did. That’s what a liked about Barrie he really was a grounding influence on her and seemed to be a down to earth guy, whereas someone like Franco is the total opposite. But judging by some of her interview comments it sounds like Barrie was not so much more depressed than Lana but a great gaping black hole. Things were so bad they apparently barely spoke for months at a time. That’s not good. Regardless of that she is startling honest and admits she destroyed the relationship in the end beyond repair.

She was pretty brutal in how she effectively dumped Barrie by interview and he seemed totally unaware when a reporter asked him in the street about it (I don’t know if you’ve all seen the video). I felt bad for him when he was saying "No, nope its not over" and was clearly unaware he was history to her. He also really didn’t look well and I do wonder if he’s on hard drugs. You would hope not, but it might explain why things went so wrong between them.

Some fans have speculated the UV song Pretty When I Cry could be about the breakdown of the relationship:

All those special times I spent with you, my love,
    They don't mean shit compared to all your drugs.
    But I don't really mind I've got much more than that.
    Like my memories, I don't need that.

She says it’s not at all the case at all and it’s about a past relationship, but you do wonder.
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Lana's current state of mind...

I would have to say with Ultraviolence everything was going swimmingly from the build-up promotion to the finished album itself. Then after that things just seem to have been wobbly in Lana's world. Whether it’s the break-up with Barrie or just that after 3 years+ of constantly doing this she's finally burnt out I don't know. She’s certainly not promoted this album as hard as she did Born to Die and that probably adds to feelings doubters have over this album. Over the past couple of months it does feel like she's just sort of imploded a bit and doesn't seem to entirely care. I really hope that it’s just a blip and she comes back all guns blazing for this Live Lounge in September. C'mon Lana you can do it!

I would fully compliment her on most of the live shows she’s played. She still loves her fans. But where are the new songs? It must be hard as to which one of her modern classics she will leave out, but you have to start doing sets of the new tracks otherwise it further triggers those doubters doubting the new album.

Going out with Mr Franco seems to be the peak of the Lana implosion. I’ve dissed him in previous comments on this board, but uh I dunno what to think of him really. I thought he was a good actor when he emerged on the scene, then he seemed to start taking too many drugs, had the inevitable come down from that and went a bit cuckoo.

Naturally then combine that with his pretty boy good looks and it was inevitable he would be irresistible to Lana for those reasons. Is he a good boyfriend for her? Erm…I really don’t like to judge…. Could be a really top bloke for all I know.

I doubt Franco or Francesco the Italian chap will push her career wise at all, unlike Barrie clearly did. That’s what a liked about Barrie he really was a grounding influence on her and seemed to be a down to earth guy, whereas someone like Franco is the total opposite. But judging by some of her interview comments it sounds like Barrie was not so much more depressed than Lana but a great gaping black hole. Things were so bad they apparently barely spoke for months at a time. That’s not good. Regardless of that she is startling honest and admits she destroyed the relationship in the end beyond repair.

She was pretty brutal in how she effectively dumped Barrie by interview and he seemed totally unaware when a reporter asked him in the street about it (I don’t know if you’ve all seen the video). I felt bad for him when he was saying "No, nope its not over" and was clearly unaware he was history to her. He also really didn’t look well and I do wonder if he’s on hard drugs. You would hope not, but it might explain why things went so wrong between them.

Some fans have speculated the UV song Pretty When I Cry could be about the breakdown of the relationship:

All those special times I spent with you, my love,
    They don't mean shit compared to all your drugs.
    But I don't really mind I've got much more than that.
    Like my memories, I don't need that.

She says it’s not at all the case at all and it’s about a past relationship, but you do wonder.

Lana and Barrie broke up in April/May which was quite a while before the interview she have where she supposedly 'dumped' him.

I can understand why Lana is being more reserved this era considering the amount of flack she received during the Born to Die era, which is a shame as I think Ultraviolence could really do well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK you got me good and nicely corrected bananashake. I think I am just rambling about Lana tumultuous love life because I was in a state of uuuuuuuhhhhhhh what's gone wrong with Lana recently? One of the reasons many of us admire Lana so much as an artist is that when it looked like the whole world hated her in the early days she knuckled down and made people love Born to Die.

Ultra has certainly being no disaster but she seems to be remarkably quiet...until now....

Latest rumour is she's apparently singing on a track on Emile Haynie new album. Just for anyone who's not aware he was one of the producers on Born to Die and has also produced with everyone from Eminem to Kanye West so he's quite a name behind the scenes.

Although its another set largely dominated by older material she's gone down a storm play Rock en Seine in Paris:
    http://lanadelreyfan.com/concert-rock-en-seine-in-france-august-24/

And there's that Live Lounge on 9th of September.

Lana talks in interviews how she told Dan Auerbach that she wanted Ultraviolence to sound like it was in the key of blue. That she wanted it to be like a flame that has gone blue by being super hot.

And I'm thinking OK Lana, for this final quarter of the year show us some of that blue super hot flame cause I know you can do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The album is style over substance. If only there were more songs at the level of West Coast. I'm not saying it's all bad, but.....
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultraviolence the song, Brooklyn Baby and Florida Kilos are also very good in my book.

I don't find myself listening to this album or the tracks off it *that* often, but having said that, Lana's always been a bit of a slow burner I think, for me anyway.

I also agree the album works a lot better out of order; the expanses of slow songs are broken up better.

I also think Brooklyn Baby would be a lot better without the cracked-voice male singer coming in for the last 40 seconds.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,960
    Forum Member
    The album is style over substance. If only there were more songs at the level of West Coast. I'm not saying it's all bad, but.....

I love "West Coast" and I wasn't sure when I first heard it. I also like

Pretty When I Cry
    Brooklyn Baby
    Ultraviolence

I haven't listened to it enough to have any other favourites as of yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK a lot of different opinion on what's good or not on this album.

On this page of the board alone we've had people say the only decent songs are Black Beauty and Old Money, then Brooklyn Baby is the standout, and now West Coast. Further back on the board people say Cruel World and Ultraviolence, etc, etc.

Really I think it just shows its a very varied album with something for everyone.

Its was the same with Born to Die at first. Like I say, Lana made people realise it was a great album by just going out there and singing the songs really. Brilliant viral marketing of the videos didn't do any harm either. Its that people saying to their friends "oh you've GOT to hear this" word of mouth factor that cascades from that creating a buzz that makes people interested.

She just needs to get a bit of that going around this album. Doesn't have to be anything as wonderfully lavish as Tropico or as happy clappy as a Summertime Sadness dance remix, just hit home that this is a quality album. Get the songs into peoples hearts and minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if this is true its about bleadin' time. Lana is finally getting considered to do the song for the next Bond film. I cannot think of an artist that better suits the style of a Bond soundtrack than Lana. With Million Dollar Man and Shades of Cool she totally nailed that style of music:
    http://www.mtv.co.uk/james-bond/news/lana-del-rey-for-next-james-bond-theme-song

Shockingly it appears Sam Smith was first choice. I've nothing against him, but REALLY???
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe Born To Die is higher than UV in the charts over here!
  • Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a massive Lana fan but Shades Of Cool is incredible. Adore that song. The other women is great too,
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think Black Beauty is my favourite ever Lana song. Stunningly haunting.

I feel really bad for her. She hasn't had an easy time of it. I've always seen her as a somewhat fragile personality, and she is just repeatedly taking hits from the media etc. I think the leaks of hundreds of her songs from the stolen laptop really knocked her a bit. Effectively, all her work was ruined.

I want her to be in control. And if being at the top of the music world makes her lose that, then maybe it's best she isn't. Before all else, she deserves to be happy with her life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly just worth reminding everyone that a certain female American singer is going to on Radio 1's The Live Lounge on Tuesday:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/rnc5d4/by/date/2014/9

Also Lana's record company have signed up another DJ to mutilate, sorry I mean EDM up, one of her songs. This time Ultraviolence is the victim:
    http://www.gigwise.com/videos/94229/listen-lana-del-rey-reveals-datsik-edm-remix-of-ultraviolence

Yes...it’s... just about managed to use every clichéd current EDM production trick going at the mo. Plus it’s almost like a happy hard-core track with its tasteless speed-up of the original song so it nearly sounds like Lana is on helium and the chords are now coming in too fast.

So it therefore no doubt has massive hit potential if the club crowd latch onto it.

And just to finish off about what Check it out was saying. Very fair comments about Lana being fragile and because of that I guess as fans we often do worry about her every emotion. I do agree that whilst we all want her to be the big star and the same time you don't want her to compromise her health. Her having a stomach ulcer quite possibly due to stress is not good.

But...

Yes she can be incredibly fragile but I also know that when she's got the fire, the "blue fire" inside she can jump over any mountain and anyone who is her enemy does not win. When it seemed like the whole world was against her at the beginning of her career she responded by not so much beating her critics but MASSACRING them in how badly she has proved them all wrong. It was quite wonderful watching her do so!

And more than anything else she’s just got what I would simply dub the gift. It would be a shame to waste that and turn into a Kate Bush type recluse for 20 odd years. And you can get stomach ulcers doing crappy day jobs too. So...

Show us some of that blue fire on Tuesday Lana, pretty please ;-).
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like the UV remix.

The original song is obviously lampooning/being down on the idea of crossing over violence and love, with the sad tone and long-suffering sound of her vocal on 'he hit me and it felt like a kiss'. The sound of those words at the start of a euphoric EDM chorus is to me really disturbing and strange. Its a lot more like glorifying it.

The whole concept of 'Ultraviolence' is meant to be clever and non-serious, right? The remix just makes it sound like 'lol violence = love' -_-
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep its crap isn't it? Like the happy clappy Summertime Sadness remix it totally botches all the implications of the song and you can tell Lana had nothing to do with it because she would have surely offered to re-record the vocal in time, rather than have the horrid speed up.

But like with the Summertime Sadness remix, club kids seem to love crap remixes like this. It might disappear without a trace or become a big hit if they think its bangin' enough. We'll see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well whatever order you listen to it in its great to hear you enjoyed both UV and Paradise PJ1893 ;-).

I've loved pretty much everything she's done, but I like how the albums are generating totally different reactions out of people. A constant theme on this board has been some people loved Born to Die and hate this record, and some people weren't too keen on Born to Die bar say Video Games, but adore Ultraviolence. Think it shows that each album has its own character and has attracted its own set of fans.

As for all things Lana looks like she's gearing up to do some more pushing of all things Ultraviolence in September when she'll finally play the live lounge session she dropped out of doing earlier this year. Fingers crossed she'll play it this time. Makes you also wonder if they'll bring out another single around then too.

The run-up to Christmas is always a good time to "re-boot" an album too. Possibility of a Paradise Edition extended cut perhaps?

Also: Her ex-boyfriend Barrie James O'Niell aka "NiGHTMARE BOY" is finally bringing out his long awaited album and as we all suspected there's a duet with them both on it. Hope that doesn't end up being too painful for all involved i.e. has Barrie and Lana singing a duet with lines like "I've love you forever and we'll never be apart" and Lana responding "I'll never cheat on you, you're my one and love" while you end up thinking...oh dear... this was recorded a while before it all went wrong wasn't it?

And last little thought. Now she's friends/lovers with James Franco (plus the Italian Photographer she's also seeing) and she/they have this Rockaway project rbautz mentions, do you we think she might be being a bit cute here and getting Franco to open a few doors for her to get into acting in movies?

From a recent interview:

Whatever she does next I hope Lana fully recovers from the stomach ulcer and that she'll still keep making beautiful music.

Oh and one final, final point (very belated response I IZ Ghetto): The Black Keys album is an enjoyable listen and one of the better indie records this year. Don't know if you've seen the video for the single Weight of Love, its got a bit of their other hit off this record Fever playing at the start too. If you like those you'll probably like the whole record:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/16/the_black_keys_weight_of_love_music_video_watch_the_video_for_the_band_s.html

So yeah its quite a cool little album. But its not as cool as Lana's ;-) (Brooklyn Baby lyrical pun intended).
    And a very belated response by myself haha :o

Thank you for the thoughts though. I ended up purchasing the album and found the overall sound very dense, so after one listen put the cd away to give another couple of spins at a later date before making a judgement. I've listened a couple more times and plan on doing so again. I quite enjoyed the album and like discovering new things on each listen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Show us some of that blue fire on Tuesday Lana, pretty please

Neverending Lana Drama, I think she is waye too thin-skinned towards her label, also I don't know, where is her good management this time around, sometimes they need to kick ass their artist.

And for Franco he is most definitivlely gay but Francesco a famous photographer himself, should tell her something about work ethic.
    US pop singer Lana Del Rey has for the second time pulled out of a private Paris concert for listeners of Virgin Radio, prompting the station to announce a boycott of the artist.

"For medical reasons independent of our will, the artist has been forced to cancel all promotional activities planned in Europe over the coming days," the Polydor/Universal Music label said in a statement.

The 29-year-old chart-topper was due to perform in Paris's Trianon hall on Sunday night to make up for a show she cancelled due to sickness in August, giving fans less than two hours' notice before the show was supposed to start.

Following the latest cancellation, Virgin Radio said in a statement it "disapproved of this total lack of respect for the fans and was removing Lana Del Rey from its playlist".

So far, she has canceled:

- David Letterman (her promo spot during release week back in june)
    - BBC radio 1 live lounge (back in june as well during release week)
    - LE GRAND JOURNAL
    - Virgin Radio
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gutted because I was listening to ultraviolence on Spotify every morning and loved Black Beauty and Florida Kilos. So I bought the album one day after work to listen to in my car and I didn't realise there was a deluxe version.

So now I've got an album that has only two standout songs imo (West Coast & Ultraviolence) instead of four.

I can listen to the other songs but I much prefer Born to Die as an album which I still find myself listening to on repeat.