Options

Plot to replace PM denied

13»

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    None of this can happen now because the civil service cannot be used for Conservative business.

????????
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    ????????

The civil service can only work on government business and it is a coalition government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Immediately after his speech I posted that he'll get a few days as the 'new Winston Churchill' .........the saviour of the nation !

Then the campaigning and in-fighting within the Tory party will start in a week or two

Basically all he's done is fired the starting gun................at the moment all the Tory MPs cheer him, but they're cheering him for firing the starting gun not because they want him to win the race

I think the wider public are not really going to buy this from Cameron either. I remember the public's scepticism in 2001 when the Tories tried to capitalise on the fuel duty blockades and promised a 6p reduction in fuel duty if they won the 2001 election, actually they didn't seem to believe it and I think they will be of the same view again. Especially if Ed Miliband/Labour start reminding people of Cameron's "cast iron guarantee" of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. Something he said in the run up to the last General election but failed to deliver on. :rolleyes:

Cameron has basically done the same stupid thing that Blair did on Europe and promised a referendum on Europe that he almost certainly cannot do if it means him losing or us leaving The EU etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ?????? Thatcher had been Education Secretery in Ted Heath's Government before ousting Heath in what was it 1975?

May had not served in Government before 2010 so I think Mrs T was more experienced actually.

And I don't. May is in one of the most senior cabinet posts, Home Secretary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The civil service can only work on government business and it is a coalition government.

Whats the civil service got to do with Tory back benchers pressing Cameron on what powers he's going to try and get back from The EU?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the wider public are not really going to buy this from Cameron either. I remember the public's scepticism in 2001 when the Tories tried to capitalise on the fuel duty blockades and promised a 6p reduction in fuel duty if they won the 2001 election, actually they didn't seem to believe it and I think they will be of the same view again. Especially if Ed Miliband/Labour start reminding people of Cameron's "cast iron guarantee" of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. Something he said in the run up to the last General election but failed to deliver on. :rolleyes:

Cameron has basically done the same stupid thing that Blair did on Europe and promised a referendum on Europe that he almost certainly cannot do if it means him losing or us leaving The EU etc.

Cameron will campaign for and expects a Yes vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whats the civil service got to do with Tory back benchers pressing Cameron on what powers he's going to try and get back from The EU?

Because they will be needed to explore and review the Treaty and advise on what changes are possible. That is why there is a timetable. If Cameron wins in 2015 the ground work will be done and then the referendum will be held.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I don't. May is in one of the most senior cabinet posts, Home Secretary.

But May is in Government for the first time, where Thatcher had already been in Government at an earlier age before becoming PM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But May is in Government for the first time, where Thatcher had already been in Government at an earlier age before becoming PM.

I still don't agree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because they will be needed to explore and review the Treaty and advise on what changes are possible. That is why there is a timetable. If Cameron wins in 2015 the ground work will be done and then the referendum will be held.

And you think that will stop Tory MP's pressing Cameron about this in parliament? Never has done before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cameron will campaign for and expects a Yes vote.

Then he can't expect to gain the votes he needs and wants then?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Well the retirement age is going up and up so in relative terms she is about the same age as Thatcher.:)

Possibly. There's also the question of whether May would want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you think that will stop Tory MP's pressing Cameron about this in parliament? Never has done before.

He has explained the timetable and the conditions. Everyone knows about them at least those that took the trouble to listen to Cameron's speech do. Presumably you didn't. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking pointless questions.