Options

Clara to face the Ponds POT dilema ? (spec)

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Clara is at the moment only a part time companion.
Wonder if that will be a storyline in S8. Does she commit full time to 12 or carry on the travel once a week arangement she had with 11 ?. Unless she leaves half way through think she will stay untill at least the end of S8. Hoping they stay good freinds but do not do the whole doomed romance thing. He has allready been there with Rose and River. Go fight alliens and save the world. Have fun but no snogging or flirting.

Comments

• Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    One of the things I have liked least about the Matt Smith era is the on-off relationship with companions. Its hard to build a relationship between Doctor and companion when the companion gets dropped home at the end of every adventure. I hope Clara jumps on board full time.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really that bothered either way. It would be nice if she stayed longer yes. I don't dislike her, no. But I don't think she's been as good a companion as some, e.g. Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, Jack Harkness and Amy Pond.

The companion that I really DIDN'T like that much, at all, was Martha. Her squeaky voice, plus her saying ''Doctor!'', all the time! Well, it felt like she was saying that a lot, anyway.

One person who I do want to be in DW in Series 8, is River Song. :) I'd like her to be in that a few times. :D I feel as though she's more of a companion that Clara is.

I don't feel as though Alex Kingston's time in DW is ready to be ended yet.

Since DW came back in 2005, I think RS has been one of the best characters to be in the show.

Donna is another, but they ended her being with the Doctor after one series. Now she cannot fully remember her Tardis adventures. Good one RTD! :mad:

Was Donna leaving after one series deliberate, I ask myself? Did RTD think about doing this before the 2008 series started? If so, it was wrong! I'd still like her to come back and have more Tardis adventures, but no. She cannot, or trying to remember, she will die.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see more of River /AK too. Don't know how it could be done though. Might be mentioned but will probably not appear in the 50th or Christmas 2013 special 11s final episode.
    She needs to be given a new body so she can live a full life before ageing and dying the way people are suppose to. Alternative 12 decides to release her from the library so her soul is free to join Amy and Rory in heaven.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see more of River /AK too. Don't know how it could be done though. Might be mentioned but will probably not appear in the 50th or Christmas 2013 special 11s final episode.
    She needs to be given a new body so she can live a full life before ageing and dying the way people are suppose to. Alternative 12 decides to release her from the library so her soul is free to join Amy and Rory in heaven.

:confused:
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Not everything is about the Ponds or River.

Clara's story has been (rightfully) independent from them. Her relationship with Twelve will be a further example of that.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Not everything is about the Ponds or River.

Clara's story has been (rightfully) independent from them. Her relationship with Twelve will be a further example of that.

This is the problem with Series 6 - it's left a bit of a legacy. During Series 6 almost every episode was directly linked to many other episodes and thus the whole thing took on an American serial format.

But actually, Doctor Who by its nature can't use that format because the cast changes mean that it must constantly move on and re-invent itself. The fact that Moffat established such a densely layered world in Series 6 means that it's hard to move on entirely from the Ponds and River without feeling like we're watching a new show.

It's kind of a lesser version of the identity crisis the show faced post-Tom Baker.

I said at the time that the format of Series 6 was going to cause problems when Amy, Rory and River inevitably left, and it has indeed happened. :(
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't feel it has myself. Amy/Rory/River had their arcs, are gone from the show and Clara, whilst her mystery is solved is moving in a new direction with a new Doctor.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I hope they keep a solid friendship going between Twelve and Clara, and I hope she travels more full-time than she did in Series 7. The stories are so limited for time as it is, without sacrificing minutes to picking up and dropping off Clara all the time as well. Given the hostile reception to those kids from Nightmare in Silver, it's clear we have very little worth going back for either.

I would like a story to visit Clara's parents in Series 8 though :)