Options

Drug mules caught

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't say I have much sympathy for the 2 British girls caught in Peru. They're lucky it wasn't a country where it carries the death penalty. You must be extremely stupid to agree to do it, no matter how financially desperate or tempting the money might be, and frankly £8000 is hardly worth losing liberty or life over.

I don't doubt however that David Cameron will call for them to be pardoned or returned to Britain to serve their jail sentences (& be released in a few years).

Comments

• Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was asked by a stranger to take a piece of hand luggage through customs at Bogota airport, Colombia, and of course refused. But these girls seem to have got involved knowingly, and now are really up sh** creek. Not much prospect of a happy outcome for either of them.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Cameron will get involved as they don't appear to be from wealthy families.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid girls
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt the media will portray them as victims. In fact last night Reporting Scotland were outside one of the mothers' houses and we were told how upset and worried the mother is.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Some very interesting video of the girls on the Daily Mail site. They claim they were "forced to take the bags"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2388688/Pictured-moment-arrested-The-British-girls-tried-smuggle-1-5m-cocaine-Peru.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    "Forced to take them". What a lame excuse. They got greedy and at that age, you can feel invincible.

Perhaps they were told that Paddington Bear was carrying cocaine dissolved in marmalade and he sailed through customs OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I've got no sympathy, they knew the risks and still took them so it serves them right.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They flew to Peru to pick up 1.5m of cocaine, and fly it back to spain.

That doesnt sound like "forced", it just sounds like they got caught. I hope that these women get the book thrown at them, 25 years in Jail in Peru. They are lucky they dont have the death penalty.

Stiff sentences like these are the only way to stop other criminals (and yes, these women are criminals) trying the same thing. I would be embarrassed if the UK government tried to interfere with this case.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Forced to take them". What a lame excuse. They got greedy and at that age, you can feel invincible.

Why would someone give you dozens of "bags of crisps" to take in your bag? I don't buy they're that unintelligent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Why would someone give you dozens of "bags of crisps" to take in your bag? I don't buy they're that unintelligent.

I think the biggest giveaway is that they told their parents they were going to Ibiza.

Then again, if someone offered me free Cheetos then I would probably be tempted myself.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pair of donkeys.

ETA. Just watched the video. I am now convinced of their innocence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see how they could have been "forced".

Number one rule has always been never take anything across borders "for a friend".

Ignorance is no excuse, and besides - what if it had been explosives or something?

Either they knew what was in the bags, or they're too stupid to deserve much sympathy.

A simple blood test will show cocaine use, if so then they'll be looking at free bed and board Chez Peruvia for a few years. Better than death row, which is what they'd have got elsewhere.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness, I can't believe how stupid these girls were. How can you be forced to carry bags for someone. If someone at the airport asked me to take a bag for them, I would report it to security - wouldn't everyone with a brain?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Can't see how they could have been "forced".

Number one rule has always been never take anything across borders "for a friend".

Ignorance is no excuse, and besides - what if it had been explosives or something?

Either they knew what was in the bags, or they're too stupid to deserve much sympathy.

A simple blood test will show cocaine use, if so then they'll be looking at free bed and board Chez Peruvia for a few years. Better than death row, which is what they'd have got elsewhere.
    i think that will be the least of their worries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pair of donkeys.

Yup, these drug mules have really made an ass of themselves!
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's probably better to wait for the details to come out before judging (saying that, it's not always the DS way)

Maybe South American criminal holds gun to head and says "take these bags through or I'll have someone go round to your parents house and have them, and your family shot" .. what would you do??

None of us have any idea what's gone on yet. If they have knowingly done it then fair enough, but I do often feel that the ones that own these operations get away with it, often backed by corrupt governments who catch a few "mules" to try to prove to the world that they are sorting thier drug problem out.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any cartel with the facility to transport £1.5m of drugs can probably have the capacity to appear quite forceful or threatening. They're so in above their necks.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I appreciate people are jumping to conclusions but why were they in Peru in the first place? Their families thought they were in Spain.
    My son is in Spain at the moment. I think he'd mention to me if he'd had a change of plan and had decided to go to Peru! :confused:
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of this story from Sunderland where a 17 year old girl was caught, parents protested innocence etc.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/city-girl-held-over-peru-drug-claim-1-1150559

Not sure what happened to her.

EDIT: According to a forum,

https://www.facebook.com/sophie.lane.9003?fref=ts
    "Not a lot of facebook action between 2008-2011 like."
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didnt seem very upset in the video footage. Bloody idiots. Let their long sentence be a lesson for ANY drug users/carriers/dealers.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give them the benefit of the doubt. I think One or both are lying. Short of money. Stupid thinking they could get away with it. Could either get hefty fine or jailed. Defo kicked out of europe never allowed to travel for sometime.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Give them the benefit of the doubt. I think One or both are lying. Short of money. Stupid thinking they could get away with it. Could either get hefty fine or jailed. Defo kicked out of europe never allowed to travel for sometime.

how`s that work, they`re british.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    While agreeing these girls must surely have been aware by now that no one takes another persons baggage through customs, things are not always what the media and courts convey. A stack of evidence, if individually assessed may be accepted as innocent, however when ammassed and presented as a package in court can easily convict a person who may be innocent
    of the charge alleged.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

Maybe South American criminal holds gun to head and says "take these bags through or I'll have someone go round to your parents house and have them, and your family shot" .. what would you do??
    I imagine something along those lines will be their defence
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    What a terrible situation for their families. I'd be in bits if that was my daughter.