The longest album never made!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
CHINESE DEMOCRACY!! There was a special article in the New York Times about this "special album". For those who don't know its Axl Rose's (the new Guns N Roses) album thats been due out for years now. Its spent 11 years in the making and has had $13 million spent on it!!! It was scheduled or atleast rumoured by HMV for an April release but has been taken off the list as Axl once again takes it back to the studios. Do you guys think this apparantly "amazing" album will ever see the light of day? Or even for that matter whether it will be a good album, ive heard some live version of some of their new stuff and to be honest it wanted me to rip the Guns N Roses poster off my wall because it was that dreaful!! What do other people think?

Comments

• EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that kind of puts the Stone Roses' "Second Coming" in the shade.

Axl's a dick, though. Couldn't care less about him, I'm afraid.
  • stillrockinstillrockin Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it'll ever get released now. Axl's built the whole thing up to such a ridiculous level with all this delay and hiring and firing of musicians and producers that anything he brings out is going to fall way short of anticipation. He won't risk the ridicule in my opinion.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cynic in me thinks this album will never happen and is being used by Axl as a way of keeping himself in the public eye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the wait for Stereo MC's Deep Down And Dirty? That was over 9 years I think, shocking.
  • DazsinDazsin Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned by The Prodigy was 7 years in the making
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dazsin wrote:
    Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned by The Prodigy was 7 years in the making

and it was dissapointing,not a touch on the previous 3 albums :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and it was dissapointing,not a touch on the previous 3 albums :cry:

I liked it, I think the 7 year wait did it no favours - maybe people expected too much. Plus the group is back to how it started, Just Liam - no Maxim, Leeroy or Keith (they all left the band)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dazsin wrote:
    I liked it, I think the 7 year wait did it no favours - maybe people expected too much. Plus the group is back to how it started, Just Liam - no Maxim, Leeroy or Keith (they all left the band)

wrong.

Maxim and Keith are still in the band, only Leeroy left
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scoper wrote:
    wrong.

Maxim and Keith are still in the band, only Leeroy left

They DEFINATELY left the band, and did not feature on the album. If they have rejoined since it is news to me.

Just to add - occasionaly Maxim joins in on tour dates but thats it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    We'll see a new Kate Bush album before we see Chinese Democracy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    It's shocking to me that when you're a professional musician and it's genuinely your day job to make and sell songs it can take a DECADE to get something like 12 tracks right.

No matter what it eventually sounds like, 'Chinese Democracy' is just a big jokey and over-hyped albatross now, it'll feel really weird and obviously anti-climactic if it ever sneaks out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also regarding Chinese Democracy I read in NME that there has been something like 10 band members come and go whilst it has been in the making, that cant be healthy for the recording of an album surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah many famous people have been involved with it, Dave Navarro, Bucket Head... but they all got the boot! Theres some of chinese democracy's live stuff floating about on the internet, but its all appaulingly bad! The bassist for the New GNR apparantly claimed that it had all been finished and it was just things like artwork that needed to be done, but Axls taken it back into the studio again now!
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Beach Boys' "Smile" was started in 1966 by Brian Wilson and abandoned, only to be re-recorded and finally released in 2004 under Brian Wilson's own name. 38 years from writing to completion must be a record.

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_releases.html#3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tadpole wrote:
    Well, the Beach Boys' "Smile" was started in 1966 by Brian Wilson and abandoned, only to be re-recorded and finally released in 2004 under Brian Wilson's own name. 38 years from writing to completion must be a record.

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_releases.html#3

Good point i forgot about that one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dazsin wrote:
    They DEFINATELY left the band, and did not feature on the album. If they have rejoined since it is news to me.

I had thought that too, but you read the bumpf for their V appearance - Keith and Maxim are still with him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit

LOL didnt see your post Tadpole :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dazsin wrote:

Keith and Maxim are in the video for the latest single, Spitfire I think.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Chinese Democracy title an in joke that the album will never be relased? After all there is no Democracy in China so there wil be no Chinese Democracy album?!

I think the record company will eventually call time out on Axel & release it whever he likes it or not. Or perhaps they will just can it & it will never see the light of day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,272
    Forum Member
    SlashNX wrote:
    CHINESE DEMOCRACY!! There was a special article in the New York Times about this "special album". For those who don't know its Axl Rose's (the new Guns N Roses) album thats been due out for years now. Its spent 11 years in the making and has had $13 million spent on it!!! It was scheduled or atleast rumoured by HMV for an April release but has been taken off the list as Axl once again takes it back to the studios. Do you guys think this apparantly "amazing" album will ever see the light of day? Or even for that matter whether it will be a good album, ive heard some live version of some of their new stuff and to be honest it wanted me to rip the Guns N Roses poster off my wall because it was that dreaful!! What do other people think?

$13 million! No chance of making that back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats what I thought but think about it, all he has to do is sell about a million and hes made it back! Whether Axl himself makes much money off it is another thing though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyM wrote:
    Keith and Maxim are in the video for the latest single, Spitfire I think.

Keith and Maxim are still in the band, and were on the recordings to Always Outnumbered. Liam decided to bin the lot after the travesty that was 'Baby's Got A Temper', and didn't have them contribute to the finished album.

They've never left and were always planned to do any gigs. Should be really interesting, totally different proposition to the album, which I liked more than I thought I would :)
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote:
    Thats what I thought but think about it, all he has to do is sell about a million and hes made it back! Whether Axl himself makes much money off it is another thing though!

That is assuming that all the money from each album goes to paying off the bills. It won't. At a rough guess I'd say that a fifth goes towards that.

jack
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irs.uk wrote:
    Keith and Maxim are still in the band, and were on the recordings to Always Outnumbered. Liam decided to bin the lot after the travesty that was 'Baby's Got A Temper', and didn't have them contribute to the finished album.

They've never left and were always planned to do any gigs. Should be really interesting, totally different proposition to the album, which I liked more than I thought I would :)

Thank you! At least somebody has some knowledge - they did not feature on the album - FACT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Guns n' roses - would probably buy the album if ever released, just for Axl's unique vocal - but it is not the same without duff (my teenage pin up - swoon !) and slash
    Should really buy the velvet revolver album !