Sony sells over 10 million PlayStation 4's

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    What did MS actually say to make people think it wasn't a timed exclusive?

From memory, something like " Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive in Holiday 2015"

The fact that they mentioned holiday 15 made people question it, but whoever questioned it was just called jealous and they couldn't accept the news that this game was now an Xbox exclusive. When Xbox was questioned yesterday they just said "we stand by what we said at games com"

But journalists were pushing for clarity today and the head dude at Xbox said that it's exclusive for a duration. He wouldn't say how long for, as things like that and how much they bought the rights for we're between them and Square Enix.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where is the smoke and mirrors then? Seems to me they haven't mislead anyone. Its exclusive for the holidays and when asked to clarify they've said its a timed exclusive. Seems to me people are just trying to pick holes in the story to have a moan at MS.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    So where is the smoke and mirrors then? Seems to me they haven't mislead anyone. Its exclusive for the holidays and when asked to clarify they've said its a timed exclusive. Seems to me people are just trying to pick holes in the story to have a moan at MS.

Yeah maybe.

I mean, at e3 Sony used fancy wording to make out there was something exclusive about Destiny, and for a small part there is, same as this. There's just a tiny bit of exclusivity there but for the sake of their conference, they used fancy wording.

I suppose they all use smoke and mirrors.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ambiguous nature of the announcement. Its not a timed exclusive the deal has a 'duration'. Whatever the f*** that means :confused:
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They never lied, but they didn't tell the truth either.

The initial announcement was dubious. They then dodged questions and made excuses for 24 hours before finally going some way to admitting what was really going on but still without giving all the details.

What they announced was, and still is, deliberately ambiguous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The initial announcement was dubious. They then dodged questions and made excuses for 24 hours before finally going some way to admitting what was really going on but still without giving all the details.

No different to any other company in a competitive industry to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In theory, yes, your absolutely right, but I think there are a couple of crucial differences at play.

Firstly, the videogames industry is much more customer-facing than others.All businesses influence and manipulate us on a daily basis, but how often does the CEO of a supermarket, bank or pharmaceutical company stand on stage and speak directly to tier customers?

Also, Videogames are also very emotive to the hardcore fans. I don't really care if Asda put milk up by 10% or there's slightly less Africa in my can of Lynx. But mess with someone's passion and your asking for trouble.

So the man on the street probably couldn't care less how MS, Sony, EA or anyone else behaves. Or a lot of gamers too for that matter. But some of us just can't help but take it personally.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The gaming industry tends to be a lot more transparent though than other industries, once you get past the NDAs of course.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive (meaning it will come to PS4 when sales of XB1 reach 10 million) :D

seriously though, I thought MS had bought the rights to the new TR game outright when I first read about it. Tomb Raider becoming Microsoft's 'exclusive' adventure game (to rival Uncharted) since they don't actually have one.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015 means it's exclusive to Xbox for holiday 2015. I'm not sure how anyone can't understand this really. All I see is 'fanboys' getting their knickers in a twist. If it was a full exclusive then it would be more like, TR exclusive to Xbox, coming holiday 2015.

Surely there would be nothing stopping Sony announcing it as an upcoming game at their conference either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Exclusive to Xbox holiday 2015 means it's exclusive to Xbox for holiday 2015. I'm not sure how anyone can't understand this really. All I see is 'fanboys' getting their knickers in a twist. If it was a full exclusive then it would be more like, TR exclusive to Xbox, coming holiday 2015.

On Tuesday night Xbox owners were saying that message couldn't be any plainer and it meant that it was a full Xbox exclusive and anyone who questioned that it might be a timed exclusive was in denial.

Which shows the messaging was far from clear when the announcement was made.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Congrats to sony for 10million consoles sold, very surprised as i didnt think the uptake on next gen would be so high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    On Tuesday night Xbox owners were saying that message couldn't be any plainer and it meant that it was a full Xbox exclusive and anyone who questioned that it might be a timed exclusive was in denial.

I'd just class them as the 'fanboys' getting their knickers in a twist. While I agree the message what was put out was probably said deliberately to confuse people, it was probably done for the 'fanboys' to start arguments. For any sane person, you can see the way it's worded means it was always a timed exclusive. Just people jumping on the bandwagon over something they haven't read properly to me.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just class them as the 'fanboys' getting their knickers in a twist. While I agree the message what was put out was probably said deliberately to confuse people, it was probably done for the 'fanboys' to start arguments. For any sane person, you can see the way it's worded means it was always a timed exclusive. Just people jumping on the bandwagon over something they haven't read properly to me.

No I think it was worded that way to create an initial shock among Tomb Raider FANS not just PS owners. Especially if you own all the other systems the first one was released on.

Only when the initial shock and annoyance settles and you go back to look at the ambiguous wording do you realise that it's not clear.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about others, but I'm playing;

The Last Of Us Remastered,
    Battlefield 4,
    Infamous: Second Son (On its way)
    Tomb Raider,
    Outlast,
    Octodad,
    Trine 2,
    Strider,
    Don't Starve.

By the end of the year I will more than likely be adding;

Alien: Isolation,
    Destiny,
    GTA V,
    Assassins Creed: Unity,
    WW2K15

Can't really see that much of a problem with software for me personally.

None of which were Xbox 360 sort of games lots of PS3 titles turned PS4.

So many like me who bought into PS4, regretted it and got an Xbox One. Wonder how many of the 10 million sold are on Ebay or Gumtree now.

What we have is a very "hyped" console. People bought that however going forward I expect people will go for games choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"This is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine one, as confirmed by Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-12-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusive-to-xbox-one

Poor gaming journalism again maybe, but I don't think the furore was due to fanboys and people not reading properly. There was a clear aim to paint this as an exclusive rather than a timed exclusive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "This is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine one, as confirmed by Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-12-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusive-to-xbox-one

Poor gaming journalism again maybe, but I don't think the furore was due to fanboys and people not reading properly. There was a clear aim to paint this as an exclusive rather than a timed exclusive.

Exactly.

Of course MS got the wrong reaction to the one they wanted in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    No I think it was worded that way to create an initial shock among Tomb Raider FANS not just PS owners. Especially if you own all the other systems the first one was released on.

Only when the initial shock and annoyance settles and you go back to look at the ambiguous wording do you realise that it's not clear.

But it is clear, if you read what it actually says, that's my point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first announcement to me was pretty clear. Only when people got themselves in a hissy fit did it start to become muddled.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like MS are getting desperate. Is the gap in sales to the PS4 bothering them that much ?. seems so to me. According to MS, they have the best games coming to XB1 but sales are lagging far behind so time to bend the truth a little ?.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like MS are getting desperate. Is the gap in sales to the PS4 bothering them that much ?. seems so to me. According to MS, they have the best games coming to XB1 but sales are lagging far behind so time to bend the truth a little ?.

They have gone Kinectless now. Lowered the price.

In the gaming market theres a feeling the PS4 is better which is not true as they both perform well.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have gone Kinectless now. Lowered the price.

In the gaming market theres a feeling the PS4 is better which is not true as they both perform well.

Perhaps if MS hadn't made such an almighty mess off their initial announcements there would be more parity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Perhaps if MS hadn't made such an almighty mess off their initial announcements there would be more parity.

And they wouldn't be selling half the amount of the PS4.

As for TR it was announced to sound as if it was "exclusive" to xbox. Only after they were hounded did it become "muddy" and eventually clear it isn't really an exclusive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS4's dominance of the market appears to be continuing. It was the best selling console in the US again in July for 7th consecutive month.

PlayStation 4 led the month for next generation software sales by a considerable margin, with The Last of Us Remastered taking the #1 spot.

PlayStation 4 games accounted for more than half of total next generation software sales.

For the second consecutive month, PlayStation was #1 in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People on this forum were saying that? :o