Worst accent in Britain

What British accent do you hate the most.

I am really sorry but there are some scouse accents that make me cringe when I hear - especially Jennifer Ellison's and that girl off Hells Kitchen - sorry they might be nice people but :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scouse definately!
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pleasant voice can make up for an ugly accent
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have to say Scouse too....

I have lived in Scouse land for 2 years now and I cringe every time I hear a 'dirty scouse' accent. Sublte scouse is ok, but full on is just nasty.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I can live with all the various accents, although I don't like my own accent, nor the very closely related cockney accent.

The accents I do quite like are proper East Anglian (just a bit too far West in this part of Essex to really get close), West Country, Lancashire & Yorkshire.
  • Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glaswegian :mad:

or

Belfast :mad:
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cockney or Brummie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    How can anyone hate the scouse accent? It is positively my most favourite sound ever!

Brummie makes me cringe, sorry!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is pretty awful - Leicester mixed with black country and Hull :o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm from Essex orginally but currently live in the land where they say things like "Tha and Thee" instead of you and me. It's vaguely disturbing...
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harsh Scouse accents are horrible. Milder ones are really, really nice. Proper Cockerny and Estuary accents are nice too, but the increasingly popular way youths are talking like in these cheap UK rap videos is shocking.
  • The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FeNerd wrote: »
    Sublte scouse is ok, but full on is just nasty.

I agree. I'm a born and bred Scouser, and there is a distinct difference between North Liverpool scouse and South Liverpool scouse. The South Liverpool scouse is much softer. Once or twice people have actually asked me when I moved to Liverpool because my accent is so subtle, they think I'm from somewhere else. It's only when I'm out of the area or dealing with a call centre somewhere else people actually pick up on my accent.

The North Liverpool scouse is extremely harsh - what I would call 'scally scouse'. It can be almost painful to listen to. Sadly it seems that most scousers who are in the public eye speak with the Northern variant, and therefore people assume we all talk that way. Come up to South Liverpool and you'll see the scouse accent can actually be quite nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    No accent in particular, just very common people.

Very, dare I say the word, chavvy sounding Cockneys, Scousers, Geordies and people from the South East (chavvy ones) sound pretty annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a thought though. Regardless of what accent you like, or simply can't abide. I think it's great that in a relatively small country we have such a breadth of accents. They give each area of our country a unique indentity. I'd much rather have that uniqueness, than us all speak the same way.
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a thought though. Regardless of what accent you like, or simply can't abide. I think it's great that in a relatively small country we have such a breadth of accents. They give each area of our country a unique indentity. I'd much rather have that uniqueness, than us all speak the same way.
    Yep, agree. I find accents strangely fascinating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really harsh common charva Geordie accents. The likes of Ant, Dec and Jill Halfpenny have lovely Geordie accents. Anthony Hutton didn't!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I agree. I'm a born and bred Scouser, and there is a distinct difference between North Liverpool scouse and South Liverpool scouse. The South Liverpool scouse is much softer. Once or twice people have actually asked me when I moved to Liverpool because my accent is so subtle, they think I'm from somewhere else. It's only when I'm out of the area or dealing with a call centre somewhere else people actually pick up on my accent.
    The North Liverpool scouse is extremely harsh - what I would call 'scally scouse'.

Similar to me. I grew up in Halewood, but have lived in south Manchester/Stockport since I was fourteen.
    You'll find a similar divide in Manchester, where people in North Manchester and Salford are the only ones who seem to talk like they're in Coronation Street, whereas in south Manchester and parts of Stockport, it can sometimes sound quite posh! But we always still have baths, never barrths!

I find it amusing to meet southerners, as I have a south Manchester/Stockport accent tinged with soft Halewood scouse. They can work out I'm from the north, but have to ask exactly where! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how come with the multitude of regional accents in this country, people can't tell the difference between a kiwi and an aussie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree :)

I've known/heard people with pretty much every accent there is and have come to the conclusion that there are good and bad examples of every accent under the sun
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised at the answers given so far, maybe it is just me but none of those accents are a problem. This may sound racist to some and I don't really care, but the worst accent is someone who doesn't have English as their first language in particular African or Indian. Trying to understand someone on the other end of the telephone with those accents is hard work at the best of times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how come with the multitude of regional accents in this country, people can't tell the difference between a kiwi and an aussie?
    I can... and I can tell Canadian (easily) from American
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh
    Stoke on Trent
    Nottingham/Leicester
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Ipswich

All horrible.

I like both Scouse and Geordie accents but they tend to sound carping, harsh and common on women.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I'd have to say Birmingham.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The North Liverpool scouse is extremely harsh - what I would call 'scally scouse'. It can be almost painful to listen to. Sadly it seems that most scousers who are in the public eye speak with the Northern variant, and therefore people assume we all talk that way. Come up to South Liverpool and you'll see the scouse accent can actually be quite nice.

Well said.. i too am from south liverpool originally.. North Liverpool accent is half put on to make them 'sound dead 'ard lad'.. :rolleyes:
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member

I agree, I have a friend from the Wirral, and I love her accent. For god's sake don't tell her though, because we all take the piss ;):D.

I don't think it's that there are more people with scally scouse accents than southern scouse accents in the public eye, it's more that they are more noticable scouse because of the stronger accent I think.

I detest the brummie accent. It just sounds horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably because we don't here them both enough to learn to hear their differences. How many days are there where you don't hear a Brummie, or Geordie, or Scouse, or Scottish accent on the TV/Radio? Not many I'll bet. We simply hear these accents more often so we are more easily able to distinguish between them.