Options

Minder - The 2009 Remake Thread

Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It looks like the remake of Minder starring Shane Richie will hit screens before long, so here's a thread for it. There are some very brief clips of the new series included in Channel 5's New Year trailer which can be seen here:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WggjFckQwhA

I hate being negative without having seen something but I do wish they'd cast someone other than Shane Richie but despite reservations I'm going to at least give the first episode a try when the time comes.

Comments

• Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Shane Ritchie brings out all sorts of homicidal thoughts in me, so I'll probably avoid :o - very excited about Ice Road Truckers though :)
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they just made a pilot episode or have they made a complete series?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alfie Daley:eek:
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least he is not going to sing the 'feem toon'.

Are they keeping 'I could be so good for you?'
  • Options
    neswnesw Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I believe that six one hour episodes were commissioned from Talkback Thames.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nesw wrote: »
    I believe that six one hour episodes were commissioned from Talkback Thames.

and being shown on Five (owned by RTL who just happen to own Talkback Thames)
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is anyone going to bother watching it? C'mon, we all know it's going to be awful.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Why is anyone going to bother watching it? C'mon, we all know it's going to be awful.

True anything that has Shane Ritchie in must come with a Government Cack Warning:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Why is anyone going to bother watching it?

The same reason we try to sneak a glance at road accidents.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a sign of bthe real poverty of the so-called "creative types" that films and TV will be full of (bad) remakes this year.

Minder was a product of its time and its leading actors - they were overdoing it after Waterman left and to remake it is just silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never that attached to the original Minder. It was a bit before my time and what I saw of it during repeats was never enough to hook me. But it looked like it was very much a product of it's time and to recreate it when we're in a totally different world now feels like a mistake. The fact that the remake is on Channel 5 doesn't do anything further to help fill me with confidence either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    OMG As a fan of the originals well upto Waterman leaving anyway, then I'll watch but will be severly displeased if it's as bad as the Knight Rider remake!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane Richie, thats me not watching then, is that the best they can do?
    Who did the casting, the same spanner that does the Iceland adverts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane Richie just plays Shane Richie in everything I've seen him do. He's a one trick pony that has never had any street cred and no programme will be taken remotely seriously with him as the lead.
  • Options
    PapaleekiePapaleekie Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Oh Please!!! The original Arthur Daley had character, played wonderfully well by George Cole. Shane Ritchie will never measure up. Whatever next?
    I won't be watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, the original Arthur Daley existed in a totally different Britian. We don't even have many Arthur Daley types any more. There's almost no such thing as his mold of East Ender these days.
  • Options
    icekool666icekool666 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    this is a real shame imho, the original Minder was truly great, George Cole is a very good actor and I remember the original series very well & loved it.
    Shane Ritchie is mediocre at best
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »
    Also, the original Arthur Daley existed in a totally different Britian. We don't even have many Arthur Daley types any more. There's almost no such thing as his mold of East Ender these days.

He was from Fulham!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the executives at Five consider this a lower risk than comissioning something original?

And how much do they get paid for these decisions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just read on Wikipedia that he's playing Arthur's nephew, Archie.

Oh dear.

' If Arthur Daley was alive today he'd turn in his grave'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched an old episode on ITV4 the other day when Arthur said he 'was from the better part of W14', (perhaps Holland Park?)
    Much of the programe was filmed north of the river around the Bush, Willesden, Westway area, though the car lot was actually in Wandsworth, south of the Thames.
  • Options
    strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly they tried doing this with The Professionals................bad mistake:(

Things like Minder, The Sweeney and The Professionals were excellent.............but they were of their time.
    We just do not have the calibre of actors anymore.

Imagine if they tried to redo Yes Minister who on earth would they find to play Humphrey?...........there used to be a pool of excellent actors......now who have we got?
    Shane Ritchie Hmmphhh:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was from Fulham!

My mistake! I didn't watch a lot of it, so bad memory on my part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »

He has a job as banker in the City now! :)

The old prog started out in Fulham when it was a bit scruffy and I lived there at the time. However, Fulham went upmarket and when Waterman left, they moved to Willesden, but even that seemed to damage the show.