DIY SkyHD INSTALL (How it's done)

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    MrManic wrote:
    Nice straightforward guide. The steps involved in installing my HD box (swapping out my old Sky+ box) was a little different though...

In step 9 my callback was good on the first attempt (Saturday lunchtime).

Then I thought I'd just have a look at quick look at the BBC HD channel before the calling Sky (impatient huh!). I was quite surprised when flicking through the channels to get to the BBC to find that my subscription channels were already available without speaking to Sky CS. My assumption is that the successful callback actually paired the card to the box.

If I want the HD channels I know I'll have to call CS but right now I'm satisfied to have a box that works.

Have you checked Movies and Sport?, it's only those channels that won't work is the card isn't paired to the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Have you checked Movies and Sport?, it's only those channels that won't work is the card isn't paired to the box.
    You're right on the money, the movie channels say that "This is the wrong card for this Set Top Box". Looks like I need to make that call to CS after all.
    Forum Member
    MrManic wrote:
    You're right on the money, the movie channels say that "This is the wrong card for this Set Top Box". Looks like I need to make that call to CS after all.

All the callback does is confirm to Sky that you've got the box connected to the phone, it does nothing to the card - unless it's a brand new install, where it fully authorises the card and box.
  • Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I used the OPs instructions to set my box up last week. I had one small problem in that the box wouldn't come out of standby after the software download. I left it over 30 minutes but it still wouldn't budge. So a quick unplug and wait 2 minutes then re-plug solved that.

The call back worked 1st time. So I called Sky CS. Got through virtually straight away and was in the process of getting my card paired when I was cut off. So call number 2. This time the CS Rep said my call back hadn't worked so she couldn't pair my card. Even though the 1st guy was doing it quite happily. I did another call back which went OK again. Called Sky for the 3rd time and this time no problems. :)

Hurray, all up and running now.
    Forum Member
    Caveman643 wrote:
    I used the OPs instructions to set my box up last week. I had one small problem in that the box wouldn't come out of standby after the software download. I left it over 30 minutes but it still wouldn't budge. So a quick unplug and wait 2 minutes then re-plug solved that.

It's often the case, and is the main reason for the Sky installers claiming so many boxes are faulty - also, if you try and turn it ON before it's finished booting it locks the box in standby. If in doubt, plug the box back in, then wait ten minutes before pressing any button - this cures almost all 'stuck in standby' problems.

The call back worked 1st time. So I called Sky CS. Got through virtually straight away and was in the process of getting my card paired when I was cut off. So call number 2. This time the CS Rep said my call back hadn't worked so she couldn't pair my card. Even though the 1st guy was doing it quite happily. I did another call back which went OK again. Called Sky for the 3rd time and this time no problems. :)

Callbacks are slow sometimes getting through, in that case (and as the first CS was probably doing) they log your request and it's actioned when the callback actually gets there. I did one the other day, and was told the callbacks were taking 30 minutes to work through that day - I expected to have to call again after four hours, but an hour or so later it came on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Bought my box for £149 from a local Sky installer. Instructions worked well for me thanks. Call back worked first time. I have not paired my Sky card yet to my box because I still have a lot of programs recorded on my Sky+ box. I've still got my Sky+ box installed but without a feed from the dish so that I can watch my recorded programs. If I pair my card to my new Sky HD box and subscribe to HD can I still go back to my Sky+ box and watch programs I've recorded (with the exception of movies and sports)?

Thanks,
    Graham
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Hi

Would just like to thank the OP for the fantastic instructions. Bought an HD box from ebay on Sunday for £170 and it was delivered today (£17.50 p&p). Followed your instructions and everything went swimmingly. We are now sat enjoying absolutely fantastic picture and sound quality feeling great that we've not paid sky for the box nor the install!

The seller on ebay was mksatellite but they don't appear to have any items for sale right now.

Thank you once again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi

Would just like to thank the OP for the fantastic instructions. Bought an HD box from ebay on Sunday for £170 and it was delivered today (£17.50 p&p). Followed your instructions and everything went swimmingly. We are now sat enjoying absolutely fantastic picture and sound quality feeling great that we've not paid sky for the box nor the install!

The seller on ebay was mksatellite but they don't appear to have any items for sale right now.

Thank you once again!
    And me - instructions worked a charm. Dialback worked first time. When i called them they asked if it was installed by an independant - i said yes.

Also got mine from mksatellite - he's got more, just use contact member function.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the great guide, worked a treat! Callback worked first time. I could then view all my mix channels.

I had no problems signing up for Plus without HD on my HD box either. So I'm just being billed for part of June's Sky Plus, after which Plus is free to all customers I believe. I'll upgrade to a Sky HD subscription when there's more on offer I think.

Then Sky customer service struck again.
    Waited 4 hours for activation, no joy. Phoned them back and was told it's a computer problem their end and will take up to 5 days to resolve! Might try ringing them later to see if I get lucky.

Question.
    One thing that's puzzling me though is that the Quad LNB with the adaptor won't push all the way in to the rectangular lnb arm on my dish. It looks like it should go another inch so that it's flush with the arm, but it wont budge any further. I'm getting a signal, but it's weak (30%). Is this normal?

Any tips appreciated :)

Best Regards,
    BuddySpike

Suffolk, UK.
    Forum Member
    BuddySpike wrote: »
    Waited 4 hours for activation, no joy. Phoned them back and was told it's a computer problem their end and will take up to 5 days to resolve! Might try ringing them later to see if I get lucky.

Just to clarify, it's the Sky Plus recording functionality I'm waiting on.

Cheers,
    BS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just do another call back and try to pair box to card again over phone, they tried to make me wait for more than four hours once but eventually with persistence you'll get activated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrManic wrote: »
    Nice straightforward guide. The steps involved in installing my HD box (swapping out my old Sky+ box) was a little different though...

In step 9 my callback was good on the first attempt (Saturday lunchtime).

Then I thought I'd just have a look at quick look at the BBC HD channel before the calling Sky (impatient huh!). I was quite surprised when flicking through the channels to get to the BBC to find that my subscription channels were already available without speaking to Sky CS. My assumption is that the successful callback actually paired the card to the box.

If I want the HD channels I know I'll have to call CS but right now I'm satisfied to have a box that works.

You must pair your card to box!!! BBC HD works without a viewing card!!!
    Forum Member
    quinnyyy wrote: »
    Just do another call back and try to pair box to card again over phone, they tried to make me wait for more than four hours once but eventually with persistence you'll get activated.

Just done that, guess what? Got a nice Scottish lady this time :) (rather than the foreign sounding operators on previous calls).

She said "5 days wait for technical issues" was utter nonsense and she would get her team leader who is has "super user" status to sort out my account as it had been messed up by the previous person who had tried to activate my sky plus. She also said Sky Plus was free as of 01 June 07, not 01 July 07 as the previous [Indian?] call centre operative had stated, so it shouldn't cost me anything at all to upgrade to Sky Plus.

She said it should be fixed by today and she's even going to call me back with an update before she finishes her shift!

What a contrast to the utterly useless, obstructive people I spoke to last night and this morning!

Cheers,
    BS.
    Forum Member
    Less than an hour since the above mentioned call and it's working! :)

Thank god some people working for Sky know what they're doing.

BS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my self install from Rotoras post, and it went like a dream, I thanked the guy, as I allways do, but I have never seen him post since.
    Where are you Rotora?
    Thanks a million Brian.
    I must also give credit to all the other experts who have helped me from this great forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=

Question.
    One thing that's puzzling me though is that the Quad LNB with the adaptor won't push all the way in to the rectangular lnb arm on my dish. It looks like it should go another inch so that it's flush with the arm, but it wont budge any further. I'm getting a signal, but it's weak (30%). Is this normal?

Best Regards,
    BuddySpike

Suffolk, UK.[/QUOTE]

I hope you got this one resolved, but just for clarity the assembly with the new (quad) lnb is the same as for the original lnb removed as part of the self install, wrap the new plastic adaptor insert supplied around the base of the lnb where it is inserted into the arm (discarding the old lnb and its adaptor) and if you have pushed home far enough you will be able to re insert the grey plastic locking pin from above. This is a crucial little piece as it not only keeps the whole thing together but it sets the distance between the focusing horn on the lnb and the focal point on the dish. if this is not done then sure you will not get optimum signal !
    regards
    Streekie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the great guide, worked a treat! Callback worked first time. I could then view all my mix channels.

I had no problems signing up for Plus without HD on my HD box either. So I'm just being billed for part of June's Sky Plus, after which Plus is free to all customers I believe. I'll upgrade to a Sky HD subscription when there's more on offer I think.

Question.

Best Regards,
    BuddySpike

Suffolk, UK.

I did a self install the same day have all functions but no HD programs have been told they have computer problem and will take up to 48hrs to sort I think we all getting a load of eyewash at the moment of them
    Forum Member
    streekie wrote: »
    I hope you got this one resolved, but just for clarity the assembly with the new (quad) lnb is the same as for the original lnb removed as part of the self install, wrap the new plastic adaptor insert supplied around the base of the lnb where it is inserted into the arm (discarding the old lnb and its adaptor) and if you have pushed home far enough you will be able to re insert the grey plastic locking pin from above. This is a crucial little piece as it not only keeps the whole thing together but it sets the distance between the focusing horn on the lnb and the focal point on the dish. if this is not done then sure you will not get optimum signal !
    regards
    Streekie

My LNB arm has holes on the sides which the old LNB mount was fitted in to. I gave these a push and the LNB and mount came out quite easily.

The new quad LNB came with a one piece adaptor (2 halves held together by a flexible plastic link). It fitted over the lnb attachment and it then looks similar to the old LNB fitting I removed. It still wouldn't fit all the way down the inside of the LNB arm.

I resorted to brute force in the end and banged it into place last night :)
    Forum Member
    spin1009 wrote: »
    I did a self install the same day have all functions but no HD programs have been told they have computer problem and will take up to 48hrs to sort I think we all getting a load of eyewash at the moment of them

Keep ringing back and hanging up until you get someone with a Scottish accent! P155 poor state of affairs, but it's the only way to get somebody competent IMHO.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used the info from this thread to do a self-install on Tuesday. Very useful :)
    Keep ringing back and hanging up until you get someone with a Scottish accent! P155 poor state of affairs, but it's the only way to get somebody competent IMHO.

Indeed!

I phoned up to activate on Tuesday.

I only wanted Sky+ activating...holding off on the HD sub. for now.

The 1st Sky CSR... seemed to be a bit confused as to what I wanted.

Me: "I have a Sky HD box & would like to activate the Sky+ service please."

Him: "You want to activate Sky HD?"

Me: "No, I have an HD box but only want to activate Sky+."

Him: "You want to buy a new Sky+ box?"

Me: "No, I have an HD box but only want to activate Sky+."

And round it went.

He ended up transferring me to Sky's call centre in Scotland, & a very polite & helpful Scottish lady sorted it all out for me in a few minutes :)
    Forum Member
    Hi, I did a HD self install yesterday, and when I phoned up sky to activate the Sky+ feature without the HD they took all my details and the box information. They then told me there was a problem and it would take upto 72 hours to activate.

Are they messing us around because we didn't get the boxes directly from sky? Also hoping that by delaying us we might turn round and subscribing to HD instead?

I rang them over 24 hours ago and nothing so far, should I phone them again? I rang the Sky+ number that came up on the box, what is the correct number to phone them one? Hopefully one that I'll get someone to speak to that'll know that I want and activate it quickly.
    Forum Member
    Papua wrote: »
    Hi, I did a HD self install yesterday, and when I phoned up sky to activate the Sky+ feature without the HD they took all my details and the box information. They then told me there was a problem and it would take upto 72 hours to activate.

Are they messing us around because we didn't get the boxes directly from sky? Also hoping that by delaying us we might turn round and subscribing to HD instead?

I rang them over 24 hours ago and nothing so far, should I phone them again? I rang the Sky+ number that came up on the box, what is the correct number to phone them one? Hopefully one that I'll get someone to speak to that'll know that I want and activate it quickly.

Makes no difference where you get the box from, the CS doesn't even know where it came from.

Sometimes they have problems with their computer systems, but mostly it's just an incompetent CS - it's just pot luck if you get one that has the slightest clue what they are doing. Best to ring in the morning, about 9:30 - more chance of getting Scotland then, you really DON'T want Mumbai!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I am waiting for card to arrive to re-subscribe to SKY (we have been cancelled for 2 years). We have the basic box, but are installing a new thomson HD box today (bought from e-bay). Do we have to phone Sky with the old box connected, or can we connect the new HD box (as per your instructions - thanks) - and then phone them to pair the card with the new box?
    Forum Member
    lizzie373 wrote: »
    I am waiting for card to arrive to re-subscribe to SKY (we have been cancelled for 2 years). We have the basic box, but are installing a new thomson HD box today (bought from e-bay). Do we have to phone Sky with the old box connected, or can we connect the new HD box (as per your instructions - thanks) - and then phone them to pair the card with the new box?

You don't need the old box at all - if it's a brand new card, and ordered for Sky HD, then you don't need to ring at all - it should be fully working once you've done the callback. If it's not a brand new card, or you didn't order it for HD, then you will have to ring Sky after doing the callback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. We ordered the new card for SKY Sports mix, not HD, but the card hasn't arrived yet. Can we connect everything up to callback without having received this card yet. The old card we have is about 4 years old. We don't really want HD yet, just to use the box for Sky+ at the moment. The wiring is all done, but we just want to know if we have to wait for the new card before setting up the box.