Vernon Kay Could Take Over Radio One Breakfast

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really where would he go too? His TV career isn't really a big hit. I would expect he stay at the BBC as the money is good, even with his pay cut.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Moyles should have kept his team fresh, instead of the same people over the last 6 years. The'yre even more middle aged than him, talking about marriage, divorces kids etc.

Moyles' team is what makes the show. He's absolutely right to have kept the same trustewd and loyal people with him all these years. And I can't say I've heard Aled talking about any of those subjects recently.

In any case it's completely irrelevant. As others has rightly pointed out, this is the BBC bashing Daily Hate trying to side step attention from its own troubles such as Jan Moir.

Poor speculative journalism with a hint of sour grapes.
  • johnny radishjohnny radish Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I think you're missing the point, he's surrounded himself with people whose lives are not at all relatable to his target audience, they don't want to hear about nappy changing and teething , doesn't mean anything to them .

If you're trying to attract a 15-24 demographic, you should be at least in touch with what they're experiencing.

Aled is the comedy gay, I think we worked that one out on day one.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope he doesn't i cant stand him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    The whole problem of replacing Moyles when he eventually steps down from the Breakfast show is a tricky one, and surely an issue that must be giving Andy Parfitt et all a few headaches. After all, love him or hate him, Chris Moyles has been a huge success on the Radio 1 Breakfast Show. Adding countless numbers of new listeners to a slot that had been in decline for years and attracting new listeners to Radio 1 as a whole.

However, he can't stay on Breakfast forever. And maybe it would be better to go out on a high? But who to replace him with?

Well, personally I can't see Vernon Kay on Radio 1 Breakfast. I do regularly tune in to his show on Saturday mornings and think it's a good listen. But 5 days a week of Vernon Kay? First thing in the morning? Surely that's too much for most people to handle!

No, I think Scott Mills is the obvious choice as a 'Stopgap' replacement for Moyles. Which I guess would mean another daytime schedule change. Something along the lines of...

0630 - Scott Mills
    1000 - Fearne Cotton
    1300 - Dev
    1600 - Greg James

...is quite likely in my opinion.

A more permenant replacement is likely to be someone young, fresh and likely to attract a younger audience. Personally, I would love to see Greg James given a go on the Breakfast slot. But if not him, I'd imagine it's likely to be either Nick Grimshaw or Fearne & Reggie. Or, somebody new perhaps?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nugsey05 wrote: »
    Something along the lines of...

0630 - Scott Mills
    1000 - Fearne Cotton
    1300 - Dev
    1600 - Greg James

...is quite likely in my opinion.

If that does happen I'll be done with Radio 1 permanently. Greg James is bad enough but Dev has the personality of a teaspoon.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the same Daily Mail that said Mayo was going to be replacing Ken Bruce.

And the same one that reported Wogan was retiring in December to be replaced by Evans
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got really upset when i saw this, this afternoon.
    I love moyles, i love the features and the team.
    I feel i have grown with them, today when chris was talking about DOms kids i was shouting out the names, i have grown with the show.
    I will be really upset when he goes but he shouldnt go eyt its still good.

If he has to go i would like the whole show maybe to move onto weekend 1-4 with the features going with it or him moving to anotehr station with the team and the feautres.

I would replace him with another team like he has which are all fun and you can connect to .Maybe have caroline flack and a man plus a team with loads of banter
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it myself but were this to happen, Vernon would become the 3rd Boltonian to do breakfast on R1! :)

Must be something in the water!?!

Good point, why does it seem to be only northerners get r1 breakfast these days?
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I hope Vernon Kay does replace Chris Moyles next year; I think a change is needed on Radio 1 Breakfast. I also think Chris Evans will steal a lot of Moyles's listeners.

Vernon Kay is an interesting choice. I agree that Moyles is too old for Radio 1, but I also feel the same about Jo Whiley and Tim Westwood.

If Moyles moved to Radio 2, and he probably will, then I hope he replaces Steve Wright. I like Wright, but I feel the Radio 2 schedule needs a complete revamp.

Steve Wright could be moved to weekends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moyles is the only show I listen to on Radio1 and when he leaves the station so will I (but then I'm 27 they don't want me anyways)

I can't see him moving to 2 or 6 as he isn't really about the music but more about the banter and i think the 2 listenership is still too old for him

I see the ratings remaining steady for him when Evans takes over on 2 with Evans ratings dropping down from Wogan's high. Then once Moyles has the most listened to breakfast programme he'll leave on that high

The most obvious replacement would be Scott Mills but he seems a bit old and tired now and I don't see any of the other daytime crowd having a big enough personality to carry breakfast
  • Jamie JayJamie Jay Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Something completely out the blue but late nights on five live for Moyles :)
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    Jamie Jay wrote: »
    Something completely out the blue but late nights on five live for Moyles :)

Not a bad suggestion! Moyles could be his controversial self! I doubt he will move to 5 Live, though. He'll more than likely move to Radio 2, possibly to host a Saturday slot. Once he has bedded in and listeners have got used to him, he'll then be moved to a weekday slot.

Chris Evans and Russell Brand were introduced carefully, so the same will happen with Moyles.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Mills won't take the job since he's the same age as Moyles isn't he?

And he's sounding fairly contrived these days, I just don't get Radio 1, it seems to fairly overhype itself.

The Live Lounge has gone from the sublime to somewhat awful these days

Vernon Kay....ah giving youth a chance...a whole 2 months younger but terminally more irritating
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumour I've heard from a couple of industry sources is that George Lamb is being groomed for the gig which is why he's stood down from 6 Music breakfast.

Personally, Lamb followed by Cotton is my idea of hell on earth but as I'm outside the demographic, my opinion hardly counts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Surely Mills won't take the job since he's the same age as Moyles isn't he?

And he's sounding fairly contrived these days, I just don't get Radio 1, it seems to fairly overhype itself.

The Live Lounge has gone from the sublime to somewhat awful these days

Vernon Kay....ah giving youth a chance...a whole 2 months younger but terminally more irritating

True indeed- especially Scott Mills being contrived, the perfect description.

Vernon Kay taking over breakfast is the worst idea since... Fearne Cotton replacing Jo Whiley. I'm not against change, I'm just not a fan of doing so for the sake of it, especially when the replacement is vastly inferior. This really would leave a dire weekday (daytime) line-up..

I hope Chris stays- he is still popular and as entertaining and unique as ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moyles on Radio 2 is a very real possibility.

When Chris Evans was giving Radio 1 management hell when he was breakfast host would you have bet on his rehabilitation, drive success and his getting Wogan's gig? Of course you wouldn't.

Moyles will almost certainly go to Radio 2.

But surely the age thing is a red herring. As an earlier poster said, it's not about age it's about your reference points. It's about what you choose to talk about.

If Radio 1 wants the under 25s (and they're welcome to them!) someone who speaks their language is essential.

That said, I'm not sure I want to hear anyone talking about mortgages and divorce just because I'm supposedly over-the-hill at 45. What Radio 1 forgets is that age is a state of mind.

Anyway, if Radio 1 does position itself as younger still, that's pretty good news for the commercial sector. Today's 40-somethings grew up with house and rap and go to festivals. (It's not all slippers and Andy Williams. Jeez, anyone would think "the youth of today" invented cutting edge music. They didn't. They're standing on the shoulders of giants like the house and rap pioneers of the late 70s and early 80s.)

Commercial radio could do with more 30- and 40-somethings. They earn more and consume more of everything than younger people so they're attractive to advertisers.

But they'll probably end up listening to Moyles and Evans on Radio 2!
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What people posting on here forget is that the Radio 1 schedule is heavily influenced by internal and external BBC politics.

With Evans on breakfast at R2, this is likely to be even more obvious. When Moyles goes, his listeners will have a safe, accessible, enetertaining alternative.... which leaves R1 free to reinvent themselves with a much younger breakfast show.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fearne Cotton, Dev, Annie Mac - or perhaps Greg James as the successor. It's a bit of a poison chalice though - don't expect the successor to last more than a couple of years.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    No, it's a fair point. There's already been a lot of discussion and concern from out-of-touch types (who probably make up 99% of the Conservative Party) about Moyles and Evans battling for listeners because they're going to be too similar. This is nonsense - Evans 10 years ago maybe, but not now - but it will have an impact on how the Government views the corporation, and the importance of Radio 1/2. Bear in mind Cameron used to do PR for Carlton, so he's not going to be ideal at judging quailty programming.

On that basis Greg James would seem the logical progression - a guy the current Moyles audience knows and young, but they could feel the need to do a clean sweep, in which case Lamb, Fearne Cotton or anyone could be thrown on. And it is a very dangerous job to take on. The successor must be prepared to work their balls off to retain some of the current audience and gain a massive new one, because the current incumbent has gained his audience by accident - he's worked for it.

I think Lamb's been damaged by his 6 Music stint and Fearne hasn't exactly got rave reviews so far on 1 however, so that could harm their chances in front of the 'opinion formers', and from what I've heard of Dev he's not much better suited to daytime Radio 1 than Nihal, so it's going to be tricky.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I think you're missing the point, he's surrounded himself with people whose lives are not at all relatable to his target audience, they don't want to hear about nappy changing and teething , doesn't mean anything to them .

If you're trying to attract a 15-24 demographic, you should be at least in touch with what they're experiencing.

Aled is the comedy gay, I think we worked that one out on day one.

Nope I'm making the point, not missing it.

Chris Moyles is the longest serving presenter on the Radio One breakfast show. Yes, quarter on quater he's losinh listeners - but otherwise he has done something quite phenomenal with the show and its figures.

Yes I agree - he's getting on a bit for the target audience - but does that make him out of touch? I personally don't think so. If anyone's out of touch it's the terrible Fearne Cotton, who talks to the audience as if they were 9.

Referring to changing nappies etc might not appeal directly to you, but it's called real life. There are plenty of young parents/kids with very young siblings who would be able to relate to that point.

And I'd strongly dispute you're misguided assessment of Aled. He's a talented producer and broadcaster who just happens to be gay. Some people are - get over it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the BBC's recent propensity for giving top radio jobs to TV types I wouldn't rule out the gig going to someone a bit 'edgy' like Jack Whitehall.
  • johnny radishjohnny radish Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Nope I'm making the point, not missing it.

Chris Moyles is the longest serving presenter on the Radio One breakfast show. Yes, quarter on quater he's losinh listeners - but otherwise he has done something quite phenomenal with the show and its figures.

Yes I agree - he's getting on a bit for the target audience - but does that make him out of touch? I personally don't think so. If anyone's out of touch it's the terrible Fearne Cotton, who talks to the audience as if they were 9.

Referring to changing nappies etc might not appeal directly to you, but it's called real life. There are plenty of young parents/kids with very young siblings who would be able to relate to that point.

And I'd strongly dispute you're misguided assessment of Aled. He's a talented producer and broadcaster who just happens to be gay. Some people are - get over it.

Oh dear, again you miss the point my dear friend . I can't see you made one either.

I'm not saying Chris isn't a brilliant broadcaster, but he's coming to the end of the road on that show, his points of reference aren't relevant , 80s and 90s TV themes and naming a baby ain't doing nothing to reduce the average age of the radio 1 listener (the average age is 30).

As for Aled , name one other personality trait that an average Moyles listener would be able to tell you about him.
    Aled is there because he's a camp gay(he may be a talented camp gay), nothing wrong with that but don't dress it up.

The problem is, there is no one good enough to replace Chris Moyles. I heard Scott Mills last night, the Radio 4 woman again, then what's occurring ...yawn ! I almost expected flirt divert to be back on, talk about flogging a dead horse!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moyles will almost certainly go to Radio 2.
    I would be very shocked if he does migrate to Radio 2 - there is no one that offensive on this station :confused: Even Chris Evans had to tone it down and look what it did for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 have truly lost their knack for finding good DJ's. I mean Greg James on afternoon? He's ok but he isnt exactly moyles or mills is he?

Moyles had tons of experience before starting radio 1, and so did Mills. That's what makes them so great, they've done it all before.

Now the experience has gone, greg only did student radio before and they are rushing him straight into afternoons and I don't even know who dev is....

Sorry but is this the best radio 1 could find? There are still some amazing presenters out there who deserve a job more than greg or dev yet R1 don't seem to be looking no further than their own building.
    I think I could do a better job than parfitt
  • JB1601JB1601 Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Let's not forget Mills was a pretty bog-standard link-song-link-song-song-link style DJ until about 2003 when he upped his game, and got the afternoon job. You can hear a lot of the same potential in Greg James.

The genius of swooping on him while he was still on student radio is they get someone who can genuinely identify with much of the target audience, plus hasn't had to spend much of his working life doing top-ten-at-ten and the whole ILR crap before being expected to adapt to Radio 1 (JK and Joel, I'm looking at you). I expect his salary expectations were a tad lower than an ILR jock too!

FWIW - and I know we're all speculating - I don't think R1 can afford to put Mills on breakfast given he's an identical age to Moyles (and his show is also sounding a bit tired IMHO), and all eyes will be on refreshing R1 for a younger audience with the new government coming in. Vernon Kay is also the wrong side of 30 so unlikely, especially given he'd have to pretty much abandon much of his TV career. I'd put my money either on Greg after a few years of developing, or someone new entirely - which is precisely what they did with Chris Evans and Zoe Ball, and Sara Cox had only been there a few months when she got the gig.

The big mystery to me in the new lineup is Dev. Nothing against the guy personally, and he seems to have been on 1Xtra for years, but how on earth he got a five times a week gig and depping ond drivetime when he's so BORING is beyond me! What an awful show...