Options

Movie Broadcasting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
hello

i am new to this forum and we are looking for help

We are away to start a new channel for movies but where do we get the movie content from like sky movies and bbc who do we contact and where can we buy these films for public viewing.

Thanks
Austin

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have to ask, you almost certainly can't afford it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    auzz12 wrote: »
    hello

i am new to this forum and we are looking for help

We are away to start a new channel for movies but where do we get the movie content from like sky movies and bbc who do we contact and where can we buy these films for public viewing.

Thanks
    Austin

Where are you away to start the channel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    If you have to ask, you almost certainly can't afford it.

What would you know about what i can afford i did not ask the cost i ask how i go about it so there was no need!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where are you away to start the channel?

Sky!

Thanks
    Austin
  • Options
    radiobloke2004radiobloke2004 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would contact a broadcasting consultant to start with. Asking on a public forum about how to set up a TV channel on sky is not the best place to ask.

Have you looked into first of all the carriage costs of the EPG, then the licence to broadcast, followed by the cost of rights, then also the cost of broadcast management from someone like RedBee?

If you have a spare couple of million you may just be able to do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would need millions to start a TV channel.

But you could read this http://www.etv.tv/content/pdf/launching_channel.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks for all the replys but im not looking to discuss costs etc but thanks anyways

i would like to know where they get the content from

If anyone knows please help me

Thanks
    Austin
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the film studios, you know, the people that own the movie content? But the Big 6 Hollywood studios are all tied into long-term exclusive deals with Sky for first-run subscription rights, so you'd be left with the more obscure stuff to chase.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for all the replys but im not looking to discuss costs etc but thanks anyways

i would like to know where they get the content from

If anyone knows please help me

Thanks
    Austin
    I cant quite believe what im reading.

I suggest going to MIPCOM, ive never been so I dont know how you would go about doing that, I thint it mostly sells TV programs, you might also wish to go to the Upfronts in the states, but again ive never been, so I dont know how you would go about doing that.

To be honest I would to go to those events, but it is way way beyond anything ill ever have the chance to do in life.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!

This reminds me of a new shop that opened (and soon closed) locally recently, sold wood-burning stoves and nothing else.

When I say they sold wood-burning stoves I mean they had them in the window, very much doubt they actually sold any.

Some people should just never go into business.

I suppose this is a wind-up thread...