LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 13)

Comments

• coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    That's a wind-up Wolfs. Not in Bill's favour?

I remember Bill coming on to Iain Lee's programme to sing the song - I think that YouTube is the one that Bill sang with some callers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of opening old flounces - well said Carrie! I did type a reply to G-S's post but then couldn't be ar*ed to post it!! :D

Thanks Biddy. Well said back at ya! I felt the same to be honest. Not worth the bother. Yet when folks know there has been a bit of bad feeling, why go to the bother of trying to be slightly inflammatory as per the OP?

I like the fact that most folks are decent on here. Just a coupla not-so-nice apples.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    For those interested, I have just heard Alan Joyce give the travel report for BBC Radio Kent :)

ahhhh I knew I recognised the voice. Ive heard the end of his travel report for the last few days when switching on at 10pm, so missed the name. Listening to BBC Radio Solent - but I think they broadcast the same thing across all stations in the South at that time of night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radio lady wrote: »
    Still it hasn’t been as bad as the Christmas when poor old LBC was sold off to yet another buyer and the new owner failed to put out any programmes at all during Christmas and the New Year. That was a bleak mid-winter.

Very interesting to get a historical perspective. When was this, radio lady?
    But the arts do need to be covered - Sandi Tostvig did this so well and with great humour.
    Would that she had the mid-morning programme and do a radio version of say the Evening Standard a newspaper now lost to so many people.

Indeed, I miss her too. Saw her in QI over xmas and it reminded me of halcyon LBC days gone by.
    James O’B needs to be replaced as a matter of urgency. He was dreadful when he first started. Talking to somebody working at LBC and asking why he was still there, I was told that he was being given a second chance. I think he has had long enough and far too many second chances and given the number of changes to the afternoon slots it seems perverse that he is still where he is.

Nooooo. I thought he was the Golden Child aka he who would be groomed as NF's successor! I do like him in that slot.

Poor Clive often seems frightened of venturing into controversial territory. I suspect the dead hand of JR in this.

In the days of Iain Lee, I did notice a more tenacious Clive who was willing to try different things. He seems to have faded in the past couple of years. You're right. He seems too nervous to venture thus!

A very interesting post. Thanks radio lady!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought somebody just had! :eek:

Short posts always go down best. :cool:

Old grumpy-drawers is staying up late again, I see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarrieK wrote: »
    Still it hasn’t been as bad as the Christmas when poor old LBC was sold off to yet another buyer and the new owner failed to put out any programmes at all during Christmas and the New Year. That was a bleak mid-winter.
    Very interesting to get a historical perspective. When was this, radio lady?

Was that when LBC News went over to AM, and the Talk station went to FM? I remember they had LBC News broadcasting on both frequencies all over Christmas and the New Year - just rolling news until the New LBC97.3 launched sometime in January.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Did you find it? It was just after the 11am news.

Haven't had a chance to look for it yet.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying really hard to get into Anthony's show but are his callers always so downbeat? He's had nothing but a procession of old miseries on tonight. Perhaps it's the topics.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,768
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by radio lady
    James O’B needs to be replaced as a matter of urgency. He was dreadful when he first started. Talking to somebody working at LBC and asking why he was still there, I was told that he was being given a second chance. I think he has had long enough and far too many second chances and given the number of changes to the afternoon slots it seems perverse that he is still where he is.

Was James O'B really given a second chance?

I agree he must definitely be replaced now, he is by far the most arrogant presenter on LBC. I used to enjoy his mystery hour but one he simply uses that to boost his ego I think.

SA all the way for me - I love him
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that when LBC News went over to AM, and the Talk station went to FM? I remember they had LBC News broadcasting on both frequencies all over Christmas and the New Year - just rolling news until the New LBC97.3 launched sometime in January.

Indeed it was but I hope somebody with a better memory for dates will tell us exactly when that happened. I rather think MartinR will have the answer. But I do remember how lost many of us felt after years of LBC to suddenly lose all those familiar voices. It was all the more poignant for being over the
    Christmas and New Year period. I was surprised the Radio
    Authorities allowed it to happen. There would be murder and mayhem on this thread if it happened today!
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by radio lady

Was James O'B really given a second chance?

I agree he must definitely be replaced now, he is by far the most arrogant presenter on LBC. I used to enjoy his mystery hour but one he simply uses that to boost his ego I think.

SA all the way for me - I love him

Yes James O'B was given a second chance - this was after he had been on air for several months.
    In those days the hierarchy at LBC were far more willing to talk to listeners and didn't dismiss them out of hand as the present regime does.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    Mehdi Hasan was even better last night, he's on a bit of a roll. Even though I think I prefer more callers, I'm really impressed with the guest commentators he has had on, impressed that he seems to be so well connected and has so many top commentators willing to come onto his show and speak to him.

I'm getting the strongest impression that its LBC that the "media/press establishment" and MP's listen to the most, am I correct? Anyone know for sure?

As for James O Brien, he imo can be a bit to much into himself, but he is a very good lsiten on the whole. I just wish he would stop going to less serious issues in his final hour and maybe keep earlier subjects going throughout the show.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I remember Bill coming on to Iain Lee's programme to sing the song - I think that YouTube is the one that Bill sang with some callers.

Thank you coulsdon for clarifying. Wasn't sure when the name Iain Lee was mentioned. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank heaven there's nobody especially controversial or inappropriate on the NY Honours list. There shouldn't be too much discussion about it and whether it's time it was stopped or replaced.

Morning all. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunshine Steve again this morning. It's a vast improvement. I wonder how long he can keep it going. Not sure why he keeps wishing people a happy new year in Chinese - that's not until February.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarrieK wrote: »
    Old grumpy-drawers is staying up late again, I see.

Short and to the point. Well done! :p
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Not quite! :p Do you sell dodgy kebabs? :D

Cripes !

How did you guess ? :o
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed it was but I hope somebody with a better memory for dates will tell us exactly when that happened. I rather think MartinR will have the answer!

Sorry, can't remember the exact dates. It was when Chrysalis took over from ITN as the owners of LBC.

I am sure it is easily researchable (?!) but I am on my way out - starting the party early !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick search of the tread provides:
    LBC 97.3 launched at 5am on 6 January 2003. The first presenter was Charlie Gibson with Dawn Traders. The first voice on air was Howard Hughes with the 5am news.

LBC 1152 closed at 7pm on Christmas Eve 2002 with James O'Brien signing off.

James Hirst was the first presenter on the AM/FM temporary LBC News simulcast that bridged the gap over Christmas.

So there were no programmes, only rolling news, between 24th December 2002 and the 6th Jaunary 2003.

Jane Moore and John Nicholson had the breakfast show 6 - 9am until Ferrari took over a year later in January 2004.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why he keeps wishing people a happy new year in Chinese - that's not until February.

Be sure to text/email him on Sunday to put him right !
    I will be all ears for the, " Must be on medication, " response. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    SA all the way for me - I love him.

Yippy, I don't feel so lonely now. :)

Apart from BC of course. { who must give me tips how to buy 2 tickets for his next show online, before they are sold out ! } :cry:

Mumbles, do you, by any chance, love Darren too ? :o

It is noted that Martin started partying at 9.45 ish this morning :eek: & hasn't been heard from since. ;)

I hope you all have an enjoyable evening, whether celebrating or ignoring the New Year. xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be sure to text/email him on Sunday to put him right !
    I will be all ears for the, " Must be on medication, " response. ;)

I wouldn't dare! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I text Steve once and he was quite scathing about my text - I just laughed! :D
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.