All the people who aren’t healthy or fit enough to keep working into their late sixti

Comments

• pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    I don't how old you are or what you do for a living but I have never heard so much rubbish in my life!

It's rubbish for people to get an office job later in life?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pwuz wrote: »
    It's rubbish for people to get an office job later in life?[/QUOTE

Its not that simple my employer cant re-deploy me so no office job for me, it makes no sense to give older people unable for manual work at office job they have no office experience, and a young person ( or agency worker) can do it a lot cheaper
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have not got a clue have you ? Why after working since 16 and paid into the system all this time having had 2 big ops and another shortly why would i want to work in mcdonalds. they are kids who have never had a job and are healthy let them work in mcdonalds!

If you can't support yourself and the only job you can get is in fast food, then you should do it regardless.
  • Emyj74Emyj74 Posts: 2,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have not got a clue have you ? Why after working since 16 and paid into the system all this time having had 2 big ops and another shortly why would i want to work in mcdonalds. they are kids who have never had a job and are healthy let them work in mcdonalds!

If you dont want to then find somewhere else to work or pay enough into the system which allows you to retire when you want or claim disability benefits if you are entitled to it.

If you not happy with this then you will need to convince the generation below you to pay more into the system to allow you to have a longer retirement than the generation before you.

The reality is its not acceptable to run larger and larger deficits anymore and this sort of policy is nothing more than Labour would have done if in power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not that simple my employer cant re-deploy me so no office job for me, it makes no sense to give older people unable for manual work at office job they have no office experience, and a young person ( or agency worker) can do it a lot cheaper

It makes perfect sense for older people to do what ever job if they need to support themselves. A basic admin job doesnt require much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emyj74 wrote: »
    If you dont want to then find somewhere else to work or pay enough into the system which allows you to retire when you want or claim disability benefits if you are entitled to it.

If you not happy with this then you will need to convince the generation below you to pay more into the system to allow you to have a longer retirement than the generation before you.

The reality is its not acceptable to run larger and larger deficits anymore and this sort of policy is nothing more than Labour would have done if in power.

I have paid my dues since I started work at 16 i have health problems now and if i go out on ill health grounds i will and have no desire or energy to go back to work full-time or part time, i have done manual work in my present job 24yrs out in all weathers i have done my share off paying taxes and ni !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes perfect sense for older people to do what ever job if they need to support themselves. A basic admin job doesnt require much.

cloud cuckoo land you live in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have paid my dues since I started work at 16 i have health problems now and if i go out on ill health grounds i will and have no desire or energy to go back to work full-time or part time, i have done manual work in my present job 24yrs out in all weathers i have done my share off paying taxes and ni !
    governments for decades have avoided the pension timebomb and lied to people. Do you think you are entitled to retire early just because you were lied to? Are you happy to retire and be supported by the younger generation that have to spend significantly more of their life working than you did?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cloud cuckoo land you live in!

People retraining to match the evolving workforce demands is 'cloud cuckoo land'?
  • Emyj74Emyj74 Posts: 2,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are unable to work due to ill health then you will be entitled to disability payments.

If you are fit for work then you will have to carry on working until the relevant retirement age if you have not saved enough. It the reality of living longer.

When it comes down to it I doubt I will even get a pension when I retire in 25 years or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    governments for decades have avoided the pension timebomb and lied to people. Do you think you are entitled to retire early just because you were lied to? Are you happy to retire and be supported by the younger generation that have to spend significantly more of their life working than you did?

I wont lose sleep over it put it that way !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wont lose sleep over it put it that way !

You won't loose sleep enslaving the young, now there is compassion and selflessness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't loose sleep enslaving the young, now there is compassion and selflessness.

IF i had never worked in my life it would have bothered me but i have worked since 16 and my health dictates my occy health and own surgeon agree i am unfit for work and more surgery is pending. so excuse me i have more to worry about than the younger generation having to work longer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Did not atos say the same if you can use 1 finger to push a button your fit for work, yet we all now life is not like that. I myself have been assessed by atos the government non medical team, and have a government piece of paper that says I am not fit for work, yet even I can type on here.
    It was a sweeping generalization that may not be true in all cases, but for the vast majority I believe it is.

Some people might not be able to do the same job they did when they were younger. I see no issue in redeploying people to new jobs. Just because you can't do your old job, it doesn't necessarily mean your on the scrap heap and have to live off welfare.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It was a sweeping generalization that may not be true in all cases, but for the vast majority I believe it is.

Some people might not be able to do the same job they did when they were younger. I see no issue in redeploying people to new jobs. Just because you can't do your old job, it doesn't necessarily mean your on the scrap heap and have to live off welfare.
    . We had a very good set up that the government destroyed called remploy with only employed disabled people, 80% of the people who worked in these place have been without a job since being got rid when they closed them down. Also don't for when asked these people are going to have to say I left my old job because of ill health.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    . We had a very good set up that the government destroyed called remploy with only employed disabled people, 80% of the people who worked in these place have been without a job since being got rid when they closed them down
    Don't know enough about it to comment, although I doubt it is clear cut.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emyj74 wrote: »
    I'm pointing out that older people are capable of doing as good or a better job than young people in certain situations. Also if someone cannot do manual work due to heavy lifting etc then can't see what would wrong with a job in McDonalds part time It will all come Down to why manual work is not possible

Someone not fit for manual work is quite possibly not sufficiently fit to stand over a hotplate in a hot kitchen for an 8 hour shift, either. It's not just a question of strength or mobility, they could have heart or breathing problems, neurological illnesses that make it hard to control their motor functions or conditions that cause constant pain.

As people get older, it becomes harder to learn new things. At 58, I'm very aware that I'm not as mentally agile as I was and my memory is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I really don't think I'm going to be able to cope with the constant changes in my current job in 8 years time, much less learn a whole new job.
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    As people get older, it becomes harder to learn new things. At 58, I'm very aware that I'm not as mentally agile as I was and my memory is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I really don't think I'm going to be able to cope with the constant changes in my current job in 8 years time, much less learn a whole new job.

Winston Churchill was 66 when he became Prime Minister
    Colonel Sanders was 62 when he started KFC

There are a multitude of people achieving their greatest achievements in later life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Colonel Sanders was 62 when he started KFC

There are a multitude of people achieving their greatest achievements in later life.

They are the exceptions rather than the rule.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, there's going to be a lot of ill old people stuck on , getting castigated on, the dole. It's going to be very hard for them to find employment. Worse still, they're probably going to be forced on these Tory work slave schemes to work for no wage.

There's going to be a whole sub group of non working, non retired people.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »

Sadly society has become increasingly ageist and it's hard to see a PM of a similar age anytime soon.

We seem to want our politicians younger nowadays and those long of tooth are often frowned upon. It should be about how capable someone is, not what age they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Sadly society has become increasingly ageist and it's hard to see a PM of a similar age anytime soon.

We seem to want our politicians younger nowadays and those long of tooth are often frowned upon. It should be about how capable someone is, not what age they are.

Indeed, think of Cameron's crass remark to Dennis Skinner. - The exchanges came during prime minister's questions, where left-winger Mr Skinner asked whether Mr Cameron would appear before Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry into media standards, given that he had once employed former News of the World editor Andy Coulson as a press adviser.
    Funny?

Mr Cameron replied that he would be "delighted" to do so, and added: "It's good to see the honourable gentleman on such good form.

"I often say to my children 'No need to go to the Natural History Museum to see a dinosaur, come to the House of Commons at about half past twelve'."
  • Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The current generation of pensioners live in comparable luxury when compared to the lives of their parents and Grandparents, so surely proof that that Welfare State has worked with many now enjoying a long healthy retirement and we should be looking to continue this for all.

Are we really saying we cannot afford these same terms for future generations even if they contribute significantly more than their Grandparents (some young women will have to wait almost a decade longer than their Grandmothers to get their pensions)?

Are the current generation of pensioners really receiving benefits that the nation simply cannot afford so becoming a burden for the young taxpayers who will need to support them for a many a year with little hope they themselves will enjoy such benefits in their old age or is the reality that we should all be paying more tax from now on so they too can enjoy the same benefits in the future?

It sits uncomfortably with me that people will be working beyond 65 when significant numbers today still get ill and die in that age group, are we going to become accustomed to people dying in the workplace?

We should be doing everything in our power to maintain the current age of retirement but if it is really unaffordable why not cut benefits paid out with immediate effect to pensioners but keep the same retirement age going forward surely that would be fairer to all?
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Old Lefty wrote: »
    Indeed, think of Cameron's crass remark to Dennis Skinner. - The exchanges came during prime minister's questions, where left-winger Mr Skinner asked whether Mr Cameron would appear before Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry into media standards, given that he had once employed former News of the World editor Andy Coulson as a press adviser.
    Funny?

Mr Cameron replied that he would be "delighted" to do so, and added: "It's good to see the honourable gentleman on such good form.

"I often say to my children 'No need to go to the Natural History Museum to see a dinosaur, come to the House of Commons at about half past twelve'."

Isn't that about DS politics rather than age?
    I've always thought the barb of referring to one being a dinosaur is at their thoughts, actions or beliefs not their age.

After all most dinosaurs probably died young, I doubt many lived to a ripe old age.
    a person or thing that is old-fashioned and cannot change in the changing conditions of modern life - Oxford dictionary
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Dwight1970 wrote: »
    The current generation of pensioners live in comparable luxury when compared to the lives of their parents and Grandparents, so surely proof that that Welfare State has worked with many now enjoying a long healthy retirement and we should be looking to continue this for all.

Yes, compared to those born in 19th Cent and Pre WW1, times are easier for pensioners, but many living solely on State pension it can be very hard.

My mother receives £110.15 State Pension plus about £65 Pension credit per week. Lives in HA accommodation, and struggles to get by, much better off than her grandparents and great grandparents, but well off enough to do with less.

Now how representative is she I don't know, some pensioners in my street, have quite comfortable lifestyles and the State Pension is only part of that, in fact they pay tax on it, could they survive with less State Pension? Should they?