Options

Problems with HP 5520 printer

I've been running this basic wifi printer for 9 months, no problems other than photocopying painfully slow and its refusal to scan more than one page into a single document.
However last week it stopped connecting wirelessly to my MacBook pro and now it no longer connects via my ipad.
I assume it's lost the settings, but not sure why. I've not updated the ipad OS.

For a few months I've had to make sure my computer or ipad was within 5 metres of the printer for its wireless to work but now I can sit right next to it and nada.

It cost £70 but it should and did work. Any suggestions, or should I have stuck with Canon? I ditched them after they discontinued support for my old multifunction printer.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean you have set up a ad-hoc WiFi network with the printer or is the printer actually connected to your router and from the router out to the other devices? I suspect the latter as that is the more common way to do things.

When setting up the printer did you give it it's own static IP address or just let DHCP auto allocate an address? If you used DHCP that may account for the printer going AWOL. I've had this on an HP and Epson printer. The cure is to give the printer a fixed IP Address outside the DHCP pool of the router so there is no chance of a conflict occurring.

Once you've set the printer IP Address you may have to go through the set-up process on the Macbook and iPad again to get them to find the printer. In my experience it should then work a bit more reliably.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    It chose the IP address. It's not connected to the router by cable. Too far away.
    How do I reset the IP address to my router one - I'd assumed it had allocated the router one? First wireless printer, so am out of my depth here. HP support aren't helpful, just said the problem is with my mac equipment, which I doubt. Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Have you tried resetting your printer wifi settings

To run Wireless Setup Wizard to change network settings
    1.From the Home screen, touch the Wireless icon, and then touch Settings.
    2.Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.
    3.Follow the instructions on the screen to change the network settings

Nice follow through in the manual from page 33
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03353113.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be thick, but what do I change them to?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be thick, but what do I change them to?

First thing to do is to go into the network set-up on the printer and make a note of the settings that it is getting automatically from your router. There will be three main settings, IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway that you will need to enter manually. They will be something like this

IP Address 192.168.1.23
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

When you set the printer manually change the last number of the IP address only, enter the other two exactly as they are currently on the printer. Use an IP address number like 150 so the address becomes 192.168.1.150

That should keep the address well outside the range the router is likely to allocate automatically to any other device on the network.

And of course you will need to know the Network SSID name of your WiFi network and the security password needed to make the connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Chris. Didn't work first time but I'm going to have another go. I might remove and reinstall the printer software and app. Installed an update on the printer today and wondering if the problem has arisen due to software changes. It still doesn't read my mac or ipad after the update though.

Edit: found the problem. The printer is turning wireless off. I have to manually turn it on each time, then it reads the ipad and prints. Defeats the point of having a wireless printer really!