Options

bit disappointed in S5 battery life

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
I've had the S5 for over a month now. I don't watch video or films on it much if at all.
I use it for calls, texts, whatsapp, radio (tune in), photos, music and certain apps (some of which use location services). I sometimes watch a short YouTube clip.
I have screen brightness set to as low as possible and auto updates off for apps, as well as that Samsung setting that supposedly keeps the phone live while you're looking at it (it didn't work anyhow).
I had, for eg, 94% battery this morning and after using it for radio, a few texts, a few whatsapp messages, 4 calls and a photo today, it's at 47% now. I have it on wifi when inside and mobile data outside.

It was better when I first had the phone. Any ideas? cheers

Comments

• Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn sync off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've done that, thanks. Excuse ignorance but when or how often do I need sync on? Does it affect my email?
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have power saving turned on. I usually have it on but for some reason I switched it off on my S5 without realising - would drop 20% charge in a 20 minute bus ride, and would never last a day.
    I switched it back on and it is around 40-50% by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I've had the S5 for over a month now. I don't watch video or films on it much if at all.
    I use it for calls, texts, whatsapp, radio (tune in), photos, music and certain apps (some of which use location services). I sometimes watch a short YouTube clip.
    I have screen brightness set to as low as possible and auto updates off for apps, as well as that Samsung setting that supposedly keeps the phone live while you're looking at it (it didn't work anyhow).
    I had, for eg, 94% battery this morning and after using it for radio, a few texts, a few whatsapp messages, 4 calls and a photo today, it's at 47% now. I have it on wifi when inside and mobile data outside.

Take a look at what apps are running, also some apps like say Twitter can update (by update I mean app data nit the app itself) on a regular basis or be turned off for manual update. Also some apps push data at you meaning they are going to use a lot more power.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine lasts about 2 days with light to moderate use. But I'm a heavy user most of the time so I charge it every night.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a setting under wireless that you can set to turn off the wireless when the phone is in standby - have a check and make sure it's not on all the time.

Also I have the screen brightness to auto on mine at +1 level which is bright enough.

Also not that it should matter with the latest batteries but run the phone right down so that it does not have enough power to even power on a couple of times with a full charge after.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It sounds like you have an app or service draining your battery. Go into settings-battery and see what the main offenders are. Usually your screen is the biggest drain and so will be top of the list. If you are in a poor reception area your phone will seek a signal and you will see mobile standby up there – this can drain your battery very quickly. If you see an app in the list using a lot of battery that you rarely use it will be the culprit – some apps keep your phone awake even with the screen off.

Messing with gps, wifi, nfc and even Bluetooth has very little impact on your battery life and is outdated advice to turn all of these off.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Version 12 of Tunein radio is a real battery hog, even when you exit the app it still drains the battery quickly in the background. V11 was great & quick but v12 is slow & ugly looking & has added loads of useless social crap which makes the permissions even worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks so much for the tips. I have changed wifi to being on when phone is in sleep mode and plugged in. (the 'never' setting seemed drastic). Screen timeout is 1 min; any shorter and it bothers me.
    Battery usage shows the OS at 17% and the screen at 16%, no problem apps. I'll keep an eye on it as haven't used the phone much today.
    Point noted about Tune In. I use it in the mornings - streaming for 1 hour used 20% battery life.
    Something new is constant Samsung Beaming Service notifications (qué?!) which I don't even know what it is.
    cheers guys
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems beaming is just the name given for NFC device to NFC device sends (photos etc).

It might be obvious to you already, but OLED uses no battery for black pixels so non white dark backgrounds are best.