Options

Stop dogs peeing on front pillar of house

LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
Forum Member
✭✭
At the front of my house is a pillar and dog walkers regularly let their dogs pee on it.

I am really getting sick of this, is there some sort of way I can stop this.

Dogs are probably marking their territory, and there are about 10 dog walkers per day.

Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible for you. Enzyme based cleaners , vinegar and a big sign on the pillar asking people not to allow their dogs to urinate.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    We get hundreds of dog walkers outside our house, strolling about with their noisy smelly piss and shit factories leaving little brown presents everywhere and festooning every vertical surface in a torrent of piss, including my garden wall.

There is not a lot you can do about it.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast Girth, you paint a lovely picture of your neighbourhood! I agree, there isn't a great deal you can do about the peeing but if someone was regularly letting their dog poo near the house, I think you would be justified in tackling the owner.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is that once one dog pees there, then all the other dogs will pee over it and so on. Perhaps if you wash the pillar down with something that doesn't smell of dog pee then the dogs won't bother. In the case of my dog, just put his dog food there - he won't go near it:(
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citronella drops might deter the dog and stop the cycle
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would try washing it down with a strong solution of Jeyes Fluid. Of course, if it rains you have to do it again and anyway probably would require reapplication fairly regularly.

Other than that, some sort of physical barrier as a deterrent - a prickly shrub placed in front of it - berberis would be good for this, or if you have a pyracantha hedge or shrub, take some cuttings from it and strew them on the ground around the pillar - it grows fast so no real harm done to your hedge; a cheap garden net draped around the pillar and area in front of it, held in place by stones or brick, or a stiff netting wire cage around the pillar, if it is possible to fix something like that on your own property without going on to the public pavement.

Other than that, you can get electronic gadgets as animal deterrents. Reports are mixed as to how well these work. In combination with other methods, they might help.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mountain lion pee will stop them.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    dee-rec wrote: »
    Vast Girth, you paint a lovely picture of your neighbourhood! I agree, there isn't a great deal you can do about the peeing but if someone was regularly letting their dog poo near the house, I think you would be justified in tackling the owner.

To be honest i think the vast majority do scoop their poop. However there are so many dog walkers near us the tiny percentage who don't pick it up make the whole area gross. There is an alleyway down the back of my garden which you can guarantee will have 3-5 horrible dog turds in it at any time,

Don't worry, if i ever say anybody let their dog lay a stinky brown cable outside my house and not pick it up, i would be out there like a rocket!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put up a sign saying "This pillar is electrified - dog owners letting their dog urinate against it may find that their dog is electrocuted. Humans are not affected!"
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Leviathain wrote: »
    At the front of my house is a pillar and dog walkers regularly let their dogs pee on it.

I am really getting sick of this, is there some sort of way I can stop this.

Dogs are probably marking their territory, and there are about 10 dog walkers per day.

Get some anise oil and drizzle it in the centre of the pavement overlapping to either side of your property. Dogs will be so focussed on following this "catnip for dogs" that they won't stop to do their business in front of your house.