Options

Is there usually no train service on Boxing Day?

Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just noticed on the National Rail website that apart from some small fringe services, there won't be any trains running on Boxing Day, which struck me as being slightly unusual - especially when you consider the full sport and football programme running that day.

Is this usually the case?

Comments

• Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is, I live and work in London but my family are up North and I always have to have the day after Boxing Day off as holiday as well to come back in time as there are few trains on Boxing Day itself.
  • Options
    PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Yep, absolutely normal. The train companies claim that there's no demand for a Boxing Day service, which I find incredibly hard to believe. As you say, there's always a very busy sporting programme, and most of the sales start on the 26th nowadays.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »
    The train companies claim that there's no demand for a Boxing Day service, which I find incredibly hard to believe.

Yet there's demand for the Tube to run in London on Boxing Day, so I don't see what the difference is. :confused:
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Yet there's demand for the Tube to run in London on Boxing Day, so I don't see what the difference is. :confused:

So you may think, but not the operators et al. Or probably the unions. I note the strike has been called off to wait until everything gets back to normal in order they can get maximum agony out of a proper working day and parrot 'The public will understand' - not.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxing Day is a bank holiday, and train companies make most of their money out of commuters, most of whom won't be going to work that day and as well, people who work on bank holidays get more wages. So the railways would have to pay more wages to their staff to serve fewer passengers than they would on an ordinary working day.
    Makes sense to me that they'd not be running a full service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ScotRail arent running any services except a half day service around Strathclyde area.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Boxing Day is a bank holiday, and train companies make most of their money out of commuters, most of whom won't be going to work that day and as well, people who work on bank holidays get more wages. So the railways would have to pay more wages to their staff to serve fewer passengers than they would on an ordinary working day.
    Makes sense to me that they'd not be running a full service.

Boxing Day is not a bank holiday this year as it falls on the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxing Day is not a bank holiday this year as it falls on the weekend.

Same goes; rail companies make their money from commuters and commuters don't commute on a weekend. And we get the Boxing Day bank holiday next Tuesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same goes; rail companies make their money from commuters and commuters don't commute on a weekend. And we get the Boxing Day bank holiday next Tuesday.

Well no as you made the point that it would cost the rail companies more to pay people to work the public holiday when it isnt a public holiday.

Even the posties are working here on Christmas Day, almost as if it were a normal Saturday. For those working, I guess it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no as you made the point that it would cost the rail companies more to pay people to work the public holiday when it isnt a public holiday.

Even the posties are working here on Christmas Day, almost as if it were a normal Saturday. For those working, I guess it is.

That was only half of the point; the rest of it was that train companies make their revenue from commuters.

And where is "here"? I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where there was post on Christmas Day. That's a bit rubbish for the postal workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was only half of the point; the rest of it was that train companies make their revenue from commuters.

And where is "here"? I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where there was post on Christmas Day. That's a bit rubbish for the postal workers.

Here is Liverpool. Yeah I thought it was rubbish too, even though it means I will get my parcel redelivered for Christmas morning. I'm guessing the half day is voluntary and necessary to clear the huge backlog of parcels sitting in distribution/sorting offices.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Yes - apart from a few trains (e.g. airport services) there hasn't been a Boxing Day service for as long as I can remember.

There are tube services in London - but the drivers are going to be on strike on Boxing Day so that might not even run either.

Its pathetic really - most European capital cities have public transport running even on Xmas Day.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure about postal workers working on Christmas day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    Are you sure about postal workers working on Christmas day?

Well I havent heard anything "official" but when arranging to have a parcel redelivered I was offered Christmas morning otherwise I had to wait until Wednesday.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I havent heard anything "official" but when arranging to have a parcel redelivered I was offered Christmas morning otherwise I had to wait until Wednesday.

Somehow i dont think they would be out on Christmas day.

The Mail network shuts down for 4 days from this evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    Somehow i dont think they would be out on Christmas day.

The Mail network shuts down for 4 days from this evening.

I know they want to get the offices cleared of parcels before going back to work next week - I'm hoping this means mine will actually come today. Not sure what you mean by "Mail Network" as I am talking about items that are already at their local delivery office and different postal areas will deal with their backlog on an individual basis.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well as the tube drivers are threatening to strike as they're not getting triple pay & a day off in lieu!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see the problem rail companies have trying to arrange a service.
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, always been the case. I remember getting a National Express coach from Leeds one Boxing Day back to London at ridiculous o'clock to get to work in Kilburn that day.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not always been such a complete shutdown on Boxing Day, think there tended to be a Sunday service until the 1980s.

One advantage of having a two-day shutdown is that it's useful for getting major engineering work done.
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    It's not always been such a complete shutdown on Boxing Day, think there tended to be a Sunday service until the 1980s.

One advantage of having a two-day shutdown is that it's useful for getting major engineering work done.

Nope - I recall back in the 1970's going from Southend To London on Boxing Day for a football match and we had to get the X400 bus from Southend Bus Station to Kings X and then the Underground from there because there was no mainline trains. Definitiely the 1970's as it was before I met my ex wife and that was in 1980.

UB