Standby question

Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just upgraded to sky+hd.

Is it normal when you put the box into standby mode that the fans keep running at the same noise level as it was when the box is on fully.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    I have just upgraded to sky+hd.

Is it normal when you put the box into standby mode that the fans keep running at the same noise level as it was when the box is on fully.
    It may be downloading Anytime content.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i turned that feature off. If it is normal than fair enough just surprising how it is at the same noise level on standby as it is when switched on fully. It is barely noticeable just sounds like a very quiet fan noise with the occasional hard drive noise.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    I thought Sky boxes never went into proper standby? Which if true, I am amazed at how they manage to meet current EU law for standby power consumption for new electrical devices.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I thought Sky boxes never went into proper standby? Which if true, I am amazed at how they manage to meet current EU law for standby power consumption for new electrical devices.

They didn't go in to standby, because it's best to keep the LNB powered at all times (avoiding frequency drift and condensation), but more so for card accessing.

As for EU legislation, all current boxes have a 'proper' off mode as well, but does mean it takes a LOT longer to power up and be functional from that mode.

The 'fan' noise is more likely the HDD spinning, it won't power down for a fair while after switching to standby, dependent on the buffering time you have set.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't go in to standby, because it's best to keep the LNB powered at all times (avoiding frequency drift and condensation), but more so for card accessing.

As for EU legislation, all current boxes have a 'proper' off mode as well, but does mean it takes a LOT longer to power up and be functional from that mode.

The 'fan' noise is more likely the HDD spinning, it won't power down for a fair while after switching to standby, dependent on the buffering time you have set.

Thank you for your answer. Do you know how to set the buffering time so the HDD stops spinning quicker after you have put the box on standby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press Services on your remote, then go to the Sky+ Setup tab. Highlight Instant Rewind and select either Off, 5 mins, 15mins, 30mins or 60mins. Then press the green button to save.

You won't be able to rewind live tv though if you select the off option.