Options

Christine Orohugu is amazing!!!

Comments

• Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Seriously, she does not get enough credit.

She always delivers in major championships. It's ridiculous. Most of the season she extremely beatable by several of her rivals, but put her in a major championship, and she's a real threat to win. She nearly defended her title there.

A magnificent silver. She needs to get made a Dame one day.:D

Her races are great. I love it because she's well behind at the straight but storms ahead and catches up nearly did it again for gold .She looked super nervous before her races. And she's nice in interviews
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lightblues wrote: »
    I stand by my post, even SHE knows that some people aren't that happy .being absent minded isn't good enough .she just shouldnt have missed 3 tests, even with the Gold in Beijing this episode is a stain on her Athletics career,and I'm sure she would be honest enough to admit that.

To be honest, I think with the Silver she got today, she's probably erased that "stain". She's obviously not going to fail any drugs test, so people know that she's simply a champion ship performer that turns up for the big races.

i do think it would follow her forever if she actually failed a drugs test, but going forward, I think she's going to be an extremely respected and beloved athlete, and those who reference the ban are going to come across as ungracious wankers:D (not talking about you of course)
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Bollocks. She missed 3 drug tests by not giving her location. She never tested positive or got caught cheating. She basically got in trouble for being absent minded. It's an easy mistake to make when you have to tell people where you are every day, and Christine basically said that she's been disorganised all her life. If I had to inform people of my wherabouts every day, i can imagine forgetting to do it way more than 3 days out of the year.

What rubbish!

You and me can be forgiven for being absent minded....but an athlete who KNOWS IT IS A VITAL THING TO PARTICIPATE IN DRUGS TESTS:
    MISSES IT ONCE ....OOPS,
    SECOND TIME ...REALLY, THATS VERY VERY ODD?....
    @ OUT OF HERE CHEAT.

Once the drugs had washed out of her system with 3 missed tests in a row, i'm sure she turned up nice and early for the FOURTH test. :rolleyes:

VERY TAINTED AND NO ROLE MODEL FOR ANYONE. :mad:
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What rubbish!

You and me can be forgiven for being absent minded....but an athlete who KNOWS IT IS A VITAL THING TO PARTICIPATE IN DRUGS TESTS:
    MISSES IT ONCE ....OOPS,
    @ OUT OF HERE CHEAT.

Once the drugs had washed out of her system with 3 missed tests in a row, i'm sure she turned up nice and early for the FOURTH test. :rolleyes:

She didn't miss three in a row. She missed three in a specific period. As far as I'm aware, she passed other tests during that time?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She done well. Always turns up for the big races.

Indeed!

I thought she would miss out on a medal!
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad she got an medal, she deserves it as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What rubbish!

MISSES IT ONCE ....OOPS,
    @ OUT OF HERE CHEAT.

If you say so. I suspect right now, you are probably in a minority though.

You do realise that these are random "out of competition" drugs tests?

So basically, if you pop out to the shops for 15 minutes, and the drug testers turn up to your home (or where you said you were going to be that day) and don't see you, that counts as a "missed test". It's just a very random system, and I think it's easy for people to not be exactly where they said they'd be all the damned time.
  • Options
    lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think with the Silver she got today, she's probably erased that "stain". She's obviously not going to fail any drugs test, so people know that she's simply a champion ship performer that turns up for the big races.

i do think it would follow her forever if she actually failed a drugs test, but going forward, I think she's going to be an extremely respected and beloved athlete, and those who reference the ban are going to come across as ungracious wankers:D (not talking about you of course)

I'm sure you read my first post in this thread so you know I'm not anti Christine at all,Ive followed her every since she came on the British scene and always knew she would be a great runner, but people are calling for her to mad a Dame, Becky Adlington got 2 golds in Beijing and didnt get made one , so I'm not holding my breath for Christine.however she should be proud of her Silver tonight
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a hugely talented lady- a "championship preformer" just like Darren Campbell in his days :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you read my first post in this thread so you know I'm not anti Christine at all,Ive followed her every since she came on the British scene and always knew she would be a great runner, but people are calling for her to mad a Dame, Becky Adlington got 2 golds in Beijing and didnt get made one , so I'm not holding my breath for Christine.however she should be proud of her Silver tonight

I think Christine should be made a Dame eventually

It probably won't happen this year, but it should happen at some point.

Becky Adlington almost certainly didn't get made a Dame, because she was too young (and maybe still is now). She will get made a Dame eventually, and deservedly so (especially with her two additonal bronze medals in these olympics). I think Christine deserves to get made a Dame at some point. Maybe in 5 years, maybe in 10. But at some point.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you say so. I suspect right now, you are probably in a minority though.

You do realise that these are random "out of competition" drugs tests?

So basically, if you pop out to the shops for 15 minutes, and the drug testers turn up to your home (or where you said you were going to be that day) and don't see you, that counts as a "missed test". It's just a very random system, and I think it's easy for people to not be exactly where they said they'd be all the damned time.

So she was banned for going to the shops? Lifetime ban from Olympics. Hmmm:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    So she was banned for going to the shops? Lifetime ban from Olympics. Hmmm:rolleyes:

Uhh... she's in the Olympics, so she obviously never got a lifetime ban:rolleyes:

I don't know the exact details of her missed tests, but the example I made was accurate. If you pop out to the shops for 15 minutes, you can get "done" for missing a test.
  • Options
    hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stand by my post, even SHE knows that some people aren't that happy .being absent minded isn't good enough .she just shouldnt have missed 3 tests, even with the Gold in Beijing this episode is a stain on her Athletics career,and I'm sure she would be honest enough to admit that.

She was tested at various race meetings over the period she missed tests and was always negative.

I think she's fabulous. :)
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CubeGame wrote: »
    She's a drug cheat and shouldn't be competing in British colours.

What a load of misinformed crap.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uhh... she's in the Olympics, so she obviously never got a lifetime ban:rolleyes:

I don't know the exact details of her missed tests, but the example I made was accurate. If you pop out to the shops for 15 minutes, you can get "done" for missing a test.

Have you actually followed this story? She was banned in 2006 by the Olympic commitee. She threatened to go abroad and run for another country. Eventually after 2 appeals her ban was over ruled.

As have others. She did herself no favours, and I will always feel she is tainted. Good luck to her, and her many fans. Im not one tho.:)
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What rubbish!

MISSES IT ONCE ....OOPS,
    @ OUT OF HERE CHEAT.

I'm very bored of explaining this but (deep breath) one more time...

The report into the incident went out of its way to point out that there was no suggestion that she had taken drugs. She tested negative on various occasions immediately before, during and after the period in question. Yes, it was a cock-up on her part but there isn't the slightest reason for the libel you've just committed.

If you're going to rant about drugs, aim your bile at Justin Gatlin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Have you actually followed this story? She was banned in 2006 by the Olympic commitee. She threatened to go abroad and run for another country. Eventually after 2 appeals her ban was over ruled.

As have others. She did herself no favours, and I will always feel she is tainted. Good luck to her, and her many fans. Im not one tho.:)

Yeah I have followed this story. She wasn't banned by the Olympic comittee. She was banned by the British Olympic commitee, who don't have the authority to actually hand out those "lifetime bans", as all the overruled "lifetime bans" from restricted athletes (including Dwain Chambers, David Millar and Carl Myserscough) show. The British Olympic commitee had no legal basis to hand out a lifetime ban to the Olympics for anyone, so it was just basically a lot of hot air and noise from people behind the times.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a drug cheat and shouldn't be competing in British colours.

Really, which drugs was she taking?
  • Options
    CubeGameCubeGame Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a drug cheat. The same rules apply as for drink driving. If you refuse a test (missing it is the same) you're guilty. She received a penalty for a doping offence.

It can be dressed up as much as possible but the BOA had the right stance. The only way to stamp out doping is to have draconian penalties. The IAAF should ban anyone guilty of a drug offence for life, it would wipe the problem out.

As for Christine's absent mindedness. I am related to a former Olympic athlete who competed in three games for Britain. She had it drilled into her that the testing protocol is as important as training. I fail to see why a top level professional athlete would not treat it as such and would NOT miss three tests unless there was a reason.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^She isn't a drug cheat. She didn't take drugs to enhance her performance. That's a drug cheat. She at no point failed a test. As has been stated many times, she passed drugs tests during the period when she missed them.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I thought we'd meant to have the most stringent drug tests going at this Olympics but has anyone been caught?

It's guaranteed that a fair number of 100 metres sprinters are taking performance enhancing drugs.

It seems the cheats are always one step ahead.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks. She missed 3 drug tests by not giving her location. She never tested positive or got caught cheating. She basically got in trouble for being absent minded. It's an easy mistake to make when you have to tell people where you are every day, and Christine basically said that she's been disorganised all her life. If I had to inform people of my wherabouts every day, i can imagine forgetting to do it way more than 3 days out of the year.

She got a ban, but I think the vast majority of people accepted she made an honest mistake, and don't truly regard her as a cheat. She's not Dwain Chambers. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing suspicuous about her performances. She's just an athlete motivated by the big occasion.

Exactly, same thing happend to Rio Ferdinand in football, he missed a drugs test, but has never tested positive for anything.

So many conspiricies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is a drug cheat. The same rules apply as for drink driving. If you refuse a test (missing it is the same) you're guilty. She received a penalty for a doping offence.

It can be dressed up as much as possible but the BOA had the right stance. The only way to stamp out doping is to have draconian penalties. The IAAF should ban anyone guilty of a drug offence for life, it would wipe the problem out.

As for Christine's absent mindedness. I am related to a former Olympic athlete who competed in three games for Britain. She had it drilled into her that the testing protocol is as important as training. I fail to see why a top level professional athlete would not treat it as such and would NOT miss three tests unless there was a reason.

Good for you. You are obviously a zero tolerance sort of person. Other people are more inclined to actually listen to the case presented and make a judgement on a case-by-case basis.

Technically, Christine had to be punished. But the fact fact that so many people actually listened to her case and felt that it may simply have been an honest mistake, says a lot.

As far as I'm concerned, she's no drugs cheat. But that's because her individual case leaves lots of room for reasonable doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I thought we'd meant to have the most stringent drug tests going at this Olympics but has anyone been caught?

It's guaranteed that a fair number of 100 metres sprinters are taking performance enhancing drugs.

It seems the cheats are always one step ahead.

I'm sure many more athletes dope than are caught. But I really don't think Christine is one of them.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Change the record, she is not a drug cheat, she did not take drugs, she missed 3 drug tests, and all the tests she has taken in the process have come back negative