Options

Christine Orohugu is amazing!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    CubeGame wrote: »
    She is a drug cheat. The same rules apply as for drink driving. If you refuse a test (missing it is the same) you're guilty. She received a penalty for a doping offence.

It can be dressed up as much as possible but the BOA had the right stance. The only way to stamp out doping is to have draconian penalties. The IAAF should ban anyone guilty of a drug offence for life, it would wipe the problem out.

As for Christine's absent mindedness. I am related to a former Olympic athlete who competed in three games for Britain. She had it drilled into her that the testing protocol is as important as training. I fail to see why a top level professional athlete would not treat it as such and would NOT miss three tests unless there was a reason.
    She wasn't the only one though as we later found out Mark Lewis Francis had missed three but the time frame was ok and many others had missed one or two. She was no cheat.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I thought we'd meant to have the most stringent drug tests going at this Olympics but has anyone been caught?

It's guaranteed that a fair number of 100 metres sprinters are taking performance enhancing drugs.

It seems the cheats are always one step ahead.

Or some peoples ill-informed assertions are always two steps behind.
  • Options
    CubeGameCubeGame Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    She wasn't the only one though as we later found out Mark Lewis Francis had missed three but the time frame was ok and many others had missed one or two. She was no cheat.

I think you'll find the time frames are carefully designed to make sure than testing for certain metabolites is effective.

Therefore a well informed athlete could actually pass tests while missing others which would fail.

There was an article in the New Scientist some time ago which explained this.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Bollocks. She missed 3 drug tests by not giving her location. She never tested positive or got caught cheating. She basically got in trouble for being absent minded. It's an easy mistake to make when you have to tell people where you are every day, and Christine basically said that she's been disorganised all her life. If I had to inform people of my wherabouts every day, i can imagine forgetting to do it way more than 3 days out of the year.

She got a ban, but I think the vast majority of people accepted she made an honest mistake, and don't truly regard her as a cheat. She's not Dwain Chambers. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing suspicuous about her performances. She's just an athlete motivated by the big occasion.

I agree. She's not a media ****, she's dedicated and she's in it first and foremost for the competition and love of athletics.

I think I read somewhere that she has ADHD and that's what lead to her being absent-minded over the tests. She has never tested positive before, during or since and that's good enough for me.

I think she's brilliant.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a drug cheat and shouldn't be competing in British colours.

:rolleyes: you came in here just to post that?

Do you feel all high & mighty now :rolleyes:
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow lets see if we can knock all our athletes - take your pick from the following:-

Your a plastic Brit ie anyone who has a great grandfather born outside of the UK etc

Your a drug cheat - even if you have never failed a drug test.

The crowd is partisan and giving team GB competitors an unfair advantage.

You might have won gold but look back in 1988 that wouldn't even have won a medal - East German athletes would have won - why are standards so low.

etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget that, before Beijing, Ohuruogu missed three mandatory drugs testing sessions, was subject to a ban, and therefore her place in the Olympics was taken away from someone else without such a character flaw.

But, for some reason, British Media suggest that other competitors from other countries only win through the use of Performance Enhancing Dtugs, and yet the British appoint drugs cheats to the raft of Olympic participants.

OUTSTANDING
  • Options
    CubeGameCubeGame Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes: you came in here just to post that?

Do you feel all high & mighty now :rolleyes:

It's a discussion forum. That is my (and many others) point of view.

The BOA had the best position on drugs and it should have been allowed to continue.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Lets not forget that, before Beijing, Ohuruogu missed three mandatory drugs testing sessions, was subject to a ban, and therefore her place in the Olympics was taken away from someone else without such a character flaw.

But, for some reason, British Media suggest that other competitors from other countries only win through the use of Performance Enhancing Dtugs, and yet the British appoint drugs cheats to the raft of Olympic participants.

OUTSTANDING

Where is the evidence she is a drug cheat?
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a discussion forum. That is my (and many others) point of view.

The BOA had the best position on drugs and it should have been allowed to continue.

When you have the proof then spout off ... Until then I think they call what your doing "libel" !
  • Options
    poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Bollocks. She missed 3 drug tests by not giving her location. She never tested positive or got caught cheating.

If she had those she would have defintely failed a drug test!!.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft-spot for her. I think she's lovely. She's done well to come back to get the silver. :)
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant Christine. Great attitude.
    She knows the missed drug test business will not go away but just gets on with it.
    We are one of the few countries to do out of event testing. Many athletes are getting through because of this lack of testing.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Have you actually followed this story? She was banned in 2006 by the Olympic commitee. She threatened to go abroad and run for another country. Eventually after 2 appeals her ban was over ruled.

As have others. She did herself no favours, and I will always feel she is tainted. Good luck to her, and her many fans. Im not one tho.:)
    That's how I feel too.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Druggie Orohugu
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What rubbish!

You and me can be forgiven for being absent minded....but an athlete who KNOWS IT IS A VITAL THING TO PARTICIPATE IN DRUGS TESTS:
    MISSES IT ONCE ....OOPS,
    SECOND TIME ...REALLY, THATS VERY VERY ODD?....
    @ OUT OF HERE CHEAT.

Once the drugs had washed out of her system with 3 missed tests in a row, i'm sure she turned up nice and early for the FOURTH test. :rolleyes:

VERY TAINTED AND NO ROLE MODEL FOR ANYONE. :mad:
    .. but that's not how it works at all!!! .. you're talking as if it's an appointment with the doctors that you fail to turn up to .. it was based on the whereabouts system and Christine just didn't let them know that her training venue had changed (once because a school sports day was being held at her usual training ground) .. if you read the following article you will see that it's easier than you think to miss three tests .. she was in fact tested plenty during this time (nine days before and three days after) and was clear. There was never any question of her being a drugs cheat just of being forgetful. She learned her lesson the hard way but it must be difficult for her because there are a lot of people labelling her a cheat still.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/2325245/Dates-prove-Christine-Ohuruogu-is-no-cheat.html