Options

making old Toshiba SD5010 DVD player region free?

I have a 4 year old DVD player, Toshiba SD 5010. I'm unable to find any code that works to make it region free. Can anyone help please?

Failing which, I'm (reluctantly) looking for an upscaling, region free DVD player to connect to a Sony smart TV. Something that's good value for money with a remote that's actually intelligible - the Toshiba one is awful/confusing. I don't really want to spend more than £50. Cheers

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony DVP-SR170 Multi-Region DVD Player. Only £1.99 over your budget from Amazon.

It works well.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I have a 4 year old DVD player, Toshiba SD 5010. I'm unable to find any code that works to make it region free. Can anyone help please?

Failing which, I'm (reluctantly) looking for an upscaling, region free DVD player to connect to a Sony smart TV. Something that's good value for money with a remote that's actually intelligible - the Toshiba one is awful/confusing. I don't really want to spend more than £50. Cheers

Standard Toshiba hack should work.

Use the remote to open the tray, then enter 98790.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    unfortunately the standard hack doesn't work.

I've been looking at amazon's Sony DVD players. I suppose I should get one that upscales although just how much difference does it make (1 year old Sony smart TV with excellent resolution). I have watched some old favourite films on DVD that are barely watchable recently.

I also bought A Most Wanted Man off amazon and sent back as in many places, the background was noticeably wobbly (including one shot of Willem Dafoe's hair moving :D)
    Is that anything to do with the upscaling, or just a sub standard DVD?
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    unfortunately the standard hack doesn't work.

I've been looking at amazon's Sony DVD players. I suppose I should get one that upscales although just how much difference does it make (1 year old Sony smart TV with excellent resolution). I have watched some old favourite films on DVD that are barely watchable recently.

I also bought A Most Wanted Man off amazon and sent back as in many places, the background was noticeably wobbly (including one shot of Willem Dafoe's hair moving :D)
    Is that anything to do with the upscaling, or just a sub standard DVD?

Your TV has the ability to upscale, but I doubt you'll find a DVD player that doesn't, so its just a case of seeing which has the better quality chip, my guess would be the TV.

Have you thought of Bluray as you have a HD TV, Richer Sounds have 2 open box offers £27.95 and £46.95, and they come with multi region DVD playback. So they will play your existing DVD's and give you better quality pictures when playing Bluray.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/search/multi%20region%20blu%20ray%20player/1/
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Thanks Deacon, that's very helpful. I'll try to get to Holborn.