Just listening to some REAL hip-hop

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
Forum Member
✭✭
It is a lovely day, and I have just finished cleaning my house. So I decided to listen to my i-Tunes for a while.

I have downloaded a load of old-school hip-hop and it still sounds fresh to this day. I have been listening to KRS-ONE, LL Cool J's "Rock the Bells" and a load of other stuff.

I can't believe that some people think that some of these current "rap" artists are any good. Can the Game (ugh) hold a microphone to Boogie Down Production's "My Philosophy?" Does Fiddy have a tenth of LL's wordplay? No.

Even the beats still sound fresh. I am not that old, and I think there are some fantastic hip-hop artists out there now. But it's difficult to find songs that have the same lyrical merit. If you listen to "Stop the Violence," the message still resonates and the song is damn near 20 years old.

I hate what is now becoming classified as hip-hop. People like KRS-ONE, Ice Cube and Chuck D were educated, and it shows in their music. Even those that weren't still had a valid tale to tell. (Street education is valuable too. I am not talking about bragging, I am talking about telling it like it is!) I am not saying that all hip-hop has to be terribly worthy; there is a place for the party stuff too. But I would like to see a return to the glory days.

Comments

• blade_922blade_922 Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Times change man. Rap artists are not what they used to be. You get the occasional one or two tracks that are a really big hit over here in the UK. The rest just fade away.

Rap is not what it used to be. There arent many new good rap artists out there. Everybody is going more into the Hip Hop scene.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest musical myth is that hip-hop/rap was ever educated/meaningful/relevant etc. Never has been, never will be.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    The biggest musical myth is that hip-hop/rap was ever educated/meaningful/relevant etc. Never has been, never will be.

How predictable :rolleyes:
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care to elaborate on what you find so predicatable?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rap and hip hop slagging, never happens on the threads of any other genre, no matter how good or bad the music. If you don't like the genre of music, don't come on a thread dedicated to it.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rap was a hell of a lot better back in the 80's/early 90's with the likes of KRS One, Boogie Down Productions, LL Cool J, Grandmaster Flash, Eric B & Rakim and of course Run DMC!

It pisses me off when kids today think rap started with Tupac (overhyped) Shakur. :rolleyes:

I'm old enough (32) to remember the old electro albums that used to come out, check out this ten minute clip of Electro 13. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VnjD3zy5pI
  • muguguymanmuguguyman Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew I'd hate the responses on here. Because it's inevitable that some idiots generalise and think hip hop is all about guns and gangstas although it was nothing like that when it started and there are still intelligent, well-informed and often very talented rappers around just under the surface. Unfortunately, they seem to struggle these days as the more 'commercial' style the media likes is the whole guns and hos style but rap and hip hop isn't all like that.
  • gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It pisses me off when kids today think rap started with Tupac (overhyped) Shakur. :rolleyes:

I am only 22, so the first "big" rap star that I was aware of was Tupac. Ofcourse now that Ive heard alot more music I realise that he wasnt the first, and far from it. But I like his style, and almost every single one of his songs. Aswell as the Notorious B.I.G.

Im very much in to Ice Cube aswell, and eagerly anticipating his new album. His new song "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It" is very good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    There is still some good stuff out there, u just have to search deeper for it, especially new artists. Try groups like The Procussions or Kids in the Hall, also Little Brother.
    My current favourite is a guy called MF Doom, he used to be in a group called KMD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    darreng wrote: »
    The rap and hip hop slagging, never happens on the threads of any other genre, no matter how good or bad the music. If you don't like the genre of music, don't come on a thread dedicated to it.

Yes it does. 'Traditional' indie-rock lovers are always slating new indie/rock music.

People who loved dance in it's peak time are always slagging off current dance efforts.

It's the same with most genres. The difference with rap/hip-hop/RnB is that it's been a popular genre for a while now, in the modern era that is.