Options

some nokia questions

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
First of all, I have a Nokia 3210 and the volume on it is fading away. I noticed this some time ago (had it 4 years) It's a lot quieter than it used to be. All the volume settings are on max. has anyone had this problem? Should I chuck it and get a new one?

2. Why are mobile PAYG phones locked?

3. Why do the operators offer a crap choice of phone on PAYG?

??

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) It's not just PAYG, also contracts one will be too, this is because the network has subsidised the cost of the handset, though on PAYG not to the extent they used too.

3) because they want you to choose a contract and spend more money, though reading online there seem to be people on PAYG who are spending so much they would save 66%+ by being on contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheers Bextech

One more question :)

Can i buy ANY unlocked phone off say, Ebay and use it on PAYG?
    I am not impressed by the puny range of phones available to non-contract users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you can.

You can unlock some free yourself: http://www.uniquephones.com/unlock/index.php

The Carphone Warehouse, and Phones4U usually sell their phone unlocked, just ask them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BexTech wrote:
    Yes you can.

You can unlock some free yourself: http://www.uniquephones.com/unlock/index.php

The Carphone Warehouse, and Phones4U usually sell their phone unlocked, just ask them.

does this link mean you can just unlock the phone youself by going through all the stages?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That it does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, if I buy a Vodaphone PAYG Nokia 3100 59.99 ( because its 20 quid cheaper than Orange) I can then unlock it and stick an Orange sim card in and use ?

The Nokia 6100 is £119 on O2 and £179 on Virgin!!!

If one can easily counteract network locking, why do the operators play these silly games and charge such differing prices for the same phone?!?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Pioneer31 wrote:
    so, if I buy a Vodaphone PAYG Nokia 3100 59.99 ( because its 20 quid cheaper than Orange) I can then unlock it and stick an Orange sim card in and use ?

The Nokia 6100 is £119 on O2 and £179 on Virgin!!!

If one can easily counteract network locking, why do the operators play these silly games and charge such differing prices for the same phone?!?

Yes you can. follow the many links in the unlocking thread.

Not everyone one knows about unlocking, and some manufacturers are harder to unlock than others.

As said previously, you should have a look at the tarrifs on contract. PAYG tends to only be cheaper for very light users. and even then you could still move to contract and then use it more.