Best price for a Wii-U

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
Been thinking about picking one up for a while as used to have one before all the cool Mario ones came out but thought id go into the game shop and pick one up for 199 and to my shock its still £240.

I seem to recall it being that price for at least 2 years ago, I remember when they first came out and they did a price drop because the basic was under 150 but id like to get one but at the same time I dont want to feel ripped off getting one especially with the NX coming out next year and I wont go down the second hand route for consoles especially with touch screen controls so wondered if anyone here has ideas.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been thinking about picking one up for a while as used to have one before all the cool Mario ones came out but thought id go into the game shop and pick one up for 199 and to my shock its still £240.

I seem to recall it being that price for at least 2 years ago, I remember when they first came out and they did a price drop because the basic was under 150 but id like to get one but at the same time I dont want to feel ripped off getting one especially with the NX coming out next year and I wont go down the second hand route for consoles especially with touch screen controls so wondered if anyone here has ideas.

As much as I'm a fan I wouldn't bother, I'm only getting Tokyo Mirage and Zelda U when that appears.... I doubt there will be any major releases for it now.

If they bundled Mario Maker and Splatoon with a 32gb at Xmas around the 150 170 price I would say that was worth it.. But I would bet that those games will make an NX appearance..

Starfox is worth it, and I've still got Xenoblade and twilight princess to play..
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm also waiting for an NX reveal to see if the Wii U is worth it. If the NX is backwards compatible I'm just going to wait for that and get all those games I've missed out on.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 for Splatoon pack at Amazon, or £220 for Splatoon/Mario Kart pack at Tesco using a code which is usable until 15th May. ( code is shown on website). Both are the premium packs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great system.. I have the Zelda edition...

Never thought I would say this..

Just buy a PS4 and UC4
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I'm also waiting for an NX reveal to see if the Wii U is worth it. If the NX is backwards compatible I'm just going to wait for that and get all those games I've missed out on.

Exactly what I'm doing.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    It's a great system.. I have the Zelda edition...

Never thought I would say this..

Just buy a PS4 and UC4

I bought a PS4 last year!
    Forum Member
    As much as I'm a fan I wouldn't bother, I'm only getting Tokyo Mirage and Zelda U when that appears.... I doubt there will be any major releases for it now.

If they bundled Mario Maker and Splatoon with a 32gb at Xmas around the 150 170 price I would say that was worth it.. But I would bet that those games will make an NX appearance..

Starfox is worth it, and I've still got Xenoblade and twilight princess to play..

The games seem reasonibly priced but its just the system I cant justify the price. Ive not come across any good offers on the net for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The games seem reasonibly priced but its just the system I cant justify the price. Ive not come across any good offers on the net for it.

On the contrary, the games cost a fortune. I would start with the Nintendo selects, Mario U, donkey Kong and Zelda
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been wanting a Wii U for a while to play the Zelda games and some others, but the price of it are still too high for what I'm willing to pay.

Could wait to see if the new Nintendo console is backwards compatible, but I also want to be able to play wii games too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I've been wanting a Wii U for a while to play the Zelda games and some others, but the price of it are still too high for what I'm willing to pay.

Could wait to see if the new Nintendo console is backwards compatible, but I also want to be able to play wii games too.

I'm assuming(hoping) the Wii remote will be history with NX..assuming it's a home console...?? It could be a handheld or a mobile phone or all we know..
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming(hoping) the Wii remote will be history with NX..assuming it's a home console...?? It could be a handheld or a mobile phone or all we know..

The wii remote was just odd in itself, I understand for sports games but Mario Galaxy should have been a proper pad version.

I cant see NX running wii games maybe the odd wii U game.

Is there a reason the console is more expensive than when it first came out?
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wii remote was just odd in itself, I understand for sports games but Mario Galaxy should have been a proper pad version.

I cant see NX running wii games maybe the odd wii U game.

Is there a reason the console is more expensive than when it first came out?
    I quite liked the wii remote, it felt natural to use with all games.
    Forum Member
    Is it advisable buying a second hand one or not? I know with consoles they work but the thing with wii u it has a touch screen and the slightest dent could make it not work properly.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it advisable buying a second hand one or not? I know with consoles they work but the thing with wii u it has a touch screen and the slightest dent could make it not work properly.

The Game Pad is quite robust. Mine's been dropped on the wooden floor and covered in food and drink by the kids more times that I dare remember. No harm has ever come to it.
    Forum Member
    The Game Pad is quite robust. Mine's been dropped on the wooden floor and covered in food and drink by the kids more times that I dare remember. No harm has ever come to it.

I remember the first time I had that pad and when I took it out the box the plug fell out and hit the screen and at times the cursor did veer to the left at times.

There was a slight mark, while I didnt bother with it after 6 months thought I really should have returned it to the shop at the time and said its faulty but in the end guarantee ran out and when I sent it to nintendo they couldnt fix it under their terms unless I paid 150 quid.

In the end I sold it to GAME which they tested it under no problems but just wondering if second hand is visable.