Options

New Xbox and New Playstation

Comments

• Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    What MS is proposing seems to be an XBOX ONE slim for the budget market but then a whole new console rather than an upgrade, this would effectively mean a new console generation and a steady decline in support for XB1 as developers increasingly move to Scorpio and leave XB1 behind.

Yeah that's defiantly a new console generation. XB1 would still get all the 3rd party support PS4 got but even so it would be 4 years on the market in 2017. Prior to last gen 4/5 years was standard it's just the last one lasted way too long.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have assumed that MS would mandate continued support for the original Xbox One in addition to Scorpio, just like Sony is apparently doing with the PS4 and the Neo.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the caveat the companies themselves haven't said anything yet I think Microsoft's plan makes more sense on the face of it. A "slim" Xbox One released soon for the short term then a much more powerful new Xbox released maybe late next year which, if it was late 2017, would actually be the same as the 4 year gap between Xbox and Xbox360. If I buy a new console next year I'd only go for a generational upgrade, so either the new Xbox if it is 4x the power of XB1 as rumoured or maybe NX, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so if the new xbox was more powerful than the neo you would still upgrade to a neo?
    Makes sense if they have a library of games for PS4 they want to keep playing.

Xbox seem to be going for a whole new system with backwards compatibility. A complete reset with significantly more power than either of the PS platforms could prove to be a compelling launchpad. That being said, abandoning Xbox One so soon after launch could create some resentment and push people away from their ecosystem, as could the inevitably higher price tag.
    Rumours are saying the higher power XBox won't be until the end of 2017. That puts it 4 years after XBox One, so it's not that soon after launch. 5 years used to be typical. Having full backwards and forwards compatibility surely takes away any remaining sting. Presumably you'll be able to sell your old XBox and still play your games on your new one. Meanwhile other people will be able to buy old XBoxes cheap.

If it also supports the Oculus Rift, that's great. Since PC, PS4 and XBox all have similar architectures, and VR is also pretty similar across the board, it should be easy to port VR games between them. Having another VR platform expands the potential market and makes it easier for developers to justify investment in VR games.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I would have assumed that MS would mandate continued support for the original Xbox One in addition to Scorpio, just like Sony is apparently doing with the PS4 and the Neo.

When you read some of the comments made by Phil Spencer it looks like MS are working towards all future consoles being backwards compatible in a similar way to how mobile phones work now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

Depends on if MS consider it a true next gen console or just an upgrade. If it's the former I think it would be backward compatible with XB1 games but also have it's own specific games that wouldn't be available on XB1, unlike Neo which, again if rumours are true, can't supposedly have any games that aren't also available on PS4.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you read some of the comments made by Phil Spencer it looks like MS are working towards all future consoles being backwards compatible in a similar way to how mobile phones work now.

i suspect all consoles now be it PlayStation or xbox will be backwards compatible the big question is it a new console with some games only available on that new system or an upgrade like the neo where they have to also be available on the old system
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Ya. Probably. It's not all about power for me. I've been with PlayStation for nearly 20 years and I love it's franchises, it's controller and I'm very invested in their ecosystem so it makes sense for me to stay with them.

But if MS were to announce some killer games to grab my attention, things could change. But as of now, I'm not interested.

Yep, I'm the same, though I didn't get a PS console until the PS3. The PS exclusives are just much more appealing to me. Other than Ori I can't think of a single XB1 exclusive I'm disappointed to be missing out on. Sunset Overdrive maybe, but my housemate had it and hated it so traded it in so who knows. Otherwise it just seems to be Halo Halo Halo Gears Gears Gears with little in the way of variety.

I'm conflicted overall about the prospect of new consoles so early. I'll be tempted by a Neo if it's offering something noticeable in terms of an upgrade, but I'm in a very wait and see mindset. The Scorpio supposedly being 4 times more powerful than the XB1 will be impressive if they manage to bring it in at a non-exhorbitant price, but I can't really see myself switching back to MS now with how their exclusive line-up has deteriorated over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do have the likes of Sea Of Thieves, Recore and Scalebound coming to be fair, but yeah in general PS has much more variety in it's exclusives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats the thing im not interested in any of those games rare hasnt made a game in decades inafune is making so many games at the moment hes quantity over quality so dont have alot of faith in recore and platinum are making scale bound and i dont like any of there games. quantum break was good and worth playing and while i love gears but i have no faith in the coalition making a good gears game after judgement

xbox need to invest in new IP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thats the thing im not interested in any of those games rare hasnt made a game in decades inafune is making so many games at the moment hes quantity over quality so dont have alot of faith in recore and platinum are making scale bound and i dont like any of there games. quantum break was good and worth playing and while i love gears but i have no faith in the coalition making a good gears game after judgement

Microsoft are investing in new IP now but this takes quite a bit of time, hopefully this years E3 will surprise with some more new IP's.
    Unfortunately when the 360 proved so popular MS just deserted making there own games apart a couple of key franchises where Sony never stopped making there own games.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Its making more and more sense just to buy a PC if the life span of consoles are going to end up being around 3/4 years.
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Its making more and more sense just to buy a PC if the life span of consoles are going to end up being around 3/4 years.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that. The initial outlay is more but you get more bang for your buck (pound) in the long run. Not sure the console route will be for me with this three year life cycle. I was a PC gamer back in the 90's and early naughties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough if they're not your thing but the three games I mentioned are new, original IP's and a change from the usual XBOX holy trinity of Halo, Gears and Forza.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More and more rumblings about Xbox VR games being in development.. I think a collaboration between Oculus Rift and Xbox Scorpio is looking likely at this stage.

The timing feels off though. Seems way too early to be revealing the new console yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im wondering how i will work with oculus because you need a very expensive pc to run oculus and a console with that sort of power would be more expensive than £400 let alone the cost of the oculus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im wondering how i will work with oculus because you need a very expensive pc to run oculus and a console with that sort of power would be more expensive than £400 let alone the cost of the oculus

Good question. PSVR was built specifically with PS4 in mind, which is how it manages to provide a good experience on relatively modest hardware.

For a console to drive a standard issue Oculus Rift with the resolution and frame rates required is a big ask. Those rumours of 6TF performance from the next Xbox would need to be accurate, but I would think it will be expensive and 18 months away. That's why I'm sceptical about the supposed E3 Xbox VR reveals. It's too soon.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    . That's why I'm sceptical about the supposed E3 Xbox VR reveals. It's too soon.

You say that but we've been waiting for PSVR for a long time ... like about 18 months
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    You say that but we've been waiting for PSVR for a long time ... like about 18 months

True, but PSVR was never in any danger of having an adverse affect on PS4 sales.

Announcing a follow up VR capable Xbox while they are still trying to build the userbase for the existing model could be very damaging to the brand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, but PSVR was never in any danger of having an adverse affect on PS4 sales.

Announcing a follow up VR capable Xbox while they are still trying to build the userbase for the existing model could be very damaging to the brand.

I am beginning to wonder if all the rumors end up being true about a slim Xbox One and also a much more powerful console if we will see Xbox One be re positioned price wise to where the soon to end production 360 is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I am beginning to wonder if all the rumors end up being true about a slim Xbox One and also a much more powerful console if we will see Xbox One be re positioned price wise to where the soon to end production 360 is now.

Thinking about it, repositioning Xbox One as a "budget" console could be a master stroke, actually. Money talks and it could really drive sales for them amongst consumers that just want a cheap, accessible gaming system.

£199 for a COD and FIFA box? Could do massive business now PS3 and Xbox 360 are being retired.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wash wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that. The initial outlay is more but you get more bang for your buck (pound) in the long run. Not sure the console route will be for me with this three year life cycle. I was a PC gamer back in the 90's and early naughties.
    It does shift the balance a little, but most of the console advantages still apply. It's still a simpler one stop solution. Games will still work out of the box. Even if there are two current XBoxes for devs to target, that's still easier for them than the myriad combinations of graphics card, CPU, RAM, disk etc that they have to deal with in PC-land. There's a new GPU every few months, it seems like, so a console refresh every 3 or 4 years is a lot more stable and devs should still get better performance out of a console than similar hardware in a PC because of it. I don't think it changes that much.

(I don't have a current console.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More and more rumblings about Xbox VR games being in development.. I think a collaboration between Oculus Rift and Xbox Scorpio is looking likely at this stage.

The timing feels off though. Seems way too early to be revealing the new console yet.

Not really. Console generations were historically 4/5 years. XB1 would be 4 years old in 2017.

The last generation was unusually long. If anything it was anomaly.

Scorpio to me sounds like a W10 box similar to steam.

Like steam-machines but xbox branded. Xbox-branded PCs essentially. It has been pretty clear that it's all about the unified ecosystem and not what HW(xbox branded PC or custom built PC) you play on for MS going forward. Games/platform as a service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Not really. Console generations were historically 4/5 years. XB1 would be 4 years old in 2017.

The last generation was unusually long. If anything it was anomaly.

Scorpio to me sounds like a W10 box similar to steam.

Like steam-machines but xbox branded. Xbox-branded PCs essentially. It has been pretty clear that it's all about the unified ecosystem and not what HW(xbox branded PC or custom built PC) you play on for MS going forward. Games/platform as a service.

Yes, but Xbox One is only 2 1/2 years old at the moment. To announce a successor at E3, with an 18 month lead time feels wrong. It could absolutely decimate the current Xbox market unless they

a) have given up on it and don't care, or
    b) are going to reposition Xbox as a budget console to drive sales.

If it was just an incremental update, with forward and backwards compatibility assured, I would agree with you. But the suggested power gap makes this feel like a whole new generation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but Xbox One is only 2 1/2 years old at the moment. To announce a successor at E3, with an 18 month lead time feels wrong. It could absolutely decimate the current Xbox market unless they

a) have given up on it and don't care, or
    b) are going to reposition Xbox as a budget console to drive sales.

If it was just an incremental update, with forward and backwards compatibility assured, I would agree with you. But the suggested power gap makes this feel like a whole new generation.

I don't think they will announce it. They don't need to yet. Only way I see them doing it is if Neo has really caught them on the hop and they feel they need to but it shouldn't make sure difference as it looks like neo is getting quite the nearly a year headstart so announcing Scorpio now won't make a difference.