SVideo vs. Euro-SCART?

Which cables to connect DVD-TV would be the best for image quality?
Someone says the EuroScart-EuroScart is the best because some DVD players send RGB signal to the TV (theorically, it is true in my Pioneer 626D DVD and in my Panasonic LD90 TV).
But others say the S-Video to S-Video could be better, with a good cable quality.
Any suggestions?
Antonio.

Comments

• NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say go euro scart-euro scart. (Make sure u get a good quality lead though) But if you have a good 5.1 amp, an s-video connection on the tv that is on the back (mine is on the front :(!!) then go for it. It doesn't really make THAT much difference as long as it is in RGB mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I have been told SCART is preferable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Can't beat the SCART, I always say! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nikhil:
    I would say go euro scart-euro scart. (Make sure u get a good quality lead though) But if you have a good 5.1 amp, an s-video connection on the tv that is on the back (mine is on the front :(!!) then go for it. It doesn't really make THAT much difference as long as it is in RGB mode.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks a lot for the replies. But,
    1. I've tried with a "good" (gold plated,...?) SCART, but the image goes greenish, with very good quality. I read tha "80% of European TV may lose control of colour saturation when you use SCART-RGB": http://www.anu.co.uk/dvd/tech/connect.htm
    (it's a good and simple article)
    Should I try a S-Video connect? (mine is in the tv front too :(!!). Or are there any others problems?
    2. I have a good 5.1 amp and the sound is excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Euro-scart all the way
    the picture is much better than S-Video especially if the TV is RGB compatible
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I currently use S-VHS, due to the fact that I only have 1 RGB socket on my TV, which is currently used by my Sky Digibox.

Unfortunately, I only have the option of RGB or PAL on the digibox - PAL looks awful.

The DVD (Samsung 709) has the choice of RGB, S-VHS or RGB, so I opt for the next best choice of S-VHS.

I have tried out of interest connecting the DVD via RGB and can't actually notice much difference between it and S-VHS.

However, the big disadvantage with the S-VHS connection is that I don't get automatic AV or widescreen switching (Have to do both of these manually.)
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say the signal quality of RGB SCART and S-Video on my set up is hard to tell apart.

Both are wired with high grade IXOS leads and both look amazing. Admittedly RGB doesn't suffer from the very minor (almost unnoticable) ghosting the S-Video feed does but still close enough to be indistinguishable.

I suppose it all depends on how good your overall set up and cabling is. Bear in mind that distribution amps can affect the video pass through quality but, if they're as good as my Yamaha, the video output of the amp should be imperceptible from the original feed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Um, Scart is just a cable,

RGB and S-Video are signal types.

It all depends on how youk kit executes its implementation of these types and the quality/length of the cables.
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right.

I forgot to mention in my post above that the S-Video feed is going through an S-VHS connection, not SCART as it appeared to imply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RGB Scart is probably just better than S-VHS but probably imperceptibly in normal viewing.
    BUT RGB Scart connections do some weird things to certain TV's. My 2-year old Tosh set shifts to the left when connected via RGB - according to Toshiba this is a 'feature' of the set!!??
    And, at least on my tv, the RGB connection takes control of the colour/contrast etc levels - this doesn't bother me 'coz it seems to work brilliantly anyway.
    Your S-VHS connection seems a good bet if RGB causes tv issues - just a pity that the AV connections are almost always on the front of the TV these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Wibble, Just out of interest what TV do you have. I am thinking of purchacing a Samsung 709, which i will hook up to a Panasonic TX-W28r4dp TV. This has two sockets, 1 for RGB which the Digibox is on, and the other is S-VHS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony KV32FX60 widescreen TV. This has 1x RGB scart and 2x S-VHS scart. It also has S-VHS sockets at the front and rear for AV3.

The Sky Digibox is on AV1 (RGB), the video is on AV2 (PAL) and Samsung 709 DVD is on AV3 (S-VHS)

I bought my 709 a few months ago for £199, but I think you can get them a lot cheaper now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have a new, but unfortunately not widescreen, Panasonic TV. I feed in the OnDigitial RGB over using a £10 SCART lead into AV1. Then my DVD is fed using S-Video/S-VHS using a £40 SCART lead into AV2(having repalced the bit of string that came with the player).

Both pictures are stunning. I have swapped the DVD to go RGB into AV1 and the picture is, in truth, hard to distinguish from the S/AV2 feed. The moral from my experience seems to be 'avoid composite PAL video and you will win whichever route you take'.

Questions:
    Is there (and if so what is what is it) a difference between S-VHS and S-video?
    (I thought that both just meant the picture was split into luminance and chrominance then delivered).

My DVD outputs either RGB or S signals over the SCART output. Is a dedicated S-video cable better than a SCART or is this just down to quality of cable again? (Note I'm not interested in control feeds or sound in the SCART just video delivery)

Thanks....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Thanks Wibble.

I have almost made up my mind to go with the Samsung. Just have to decide if I buy it region craked from techtronics, for £190 +vat or get one elsewhere and try to use the awia handset crack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    The difference between SVideo and SVHS
    SVHS is a video standard and means Super VHS
    SVideo is a type of connection
    hope this helps
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Well, I began this topic and I'm very happy with the interest on it.
    I've tried all the suggestions and I can tell now my experience: with my equipment, the best results for image quality is a good S-Video cable, without any doubt!
    The RGB signal using Euro-SCART has the same definition but with some colour problems: greenish! The composite video cable is really worse.
    My equipment:
    Yamaha 592 AV Receiver (DD Ready)
    Pioneer 626D DVD
    Panasonic 29" 100Hz TV (not wide)