What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone read Harvest by Jim Crace? It has rave reviews.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I just finished Rupture by Simon Lelic. Following the aftermath of a school shooting (UK based) it made me cry. Was a fantastic novel. Just started Pariah by David Jackson. Really good so far, a bit Coben esque and the writing is great.

Just bought Pariah. I thought looking at reviews it wouldn`t stay at 95p for long. Made that mistake before not getting books when they were cheap.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Safe House - Chris Ewan
    Great read.
    Exciting, entertaining but brutal.
    I liked the way the hero was just ordinary, beginning the story by repairing a boiler, then getting mixed up with a blonde in a near fatal motor cycle accident, and as nobody claims to have seen
    her, when he asks about her, he sets about tracing her.
    The Isle of Man location added depth to the story, and I loved Rob's relationship with his dog and his grandfather.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Currently reading After the Fall by Norman, Charity.....so far so good.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence by Paul Davies. He explores the scientific quest for extraterrestrial life, showing how the current efforts of SETI are limited in nature and he suggests other ways to look for ET.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you did! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! My aunts just started reading it too and is finding it pretty addictive!

I started Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green last night- it's written from the POV of Budo, little Max's imaginary friend. About 40% through and it's very endearing and captivating so far!

Finished Gone Girl yesterday. One of those books that I read so quickly as I love it, on the other hand I want to read slower as I don't want them to finish. I did really like it, although maybe a 'happier' ending would've satisfied me more, I would've liked to have seen someone get their just desserts as it were (trying not to give away spoilers here).

Just started The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney; seems OK so far, although I'm not 'hooked' yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    I read this book in two sittings and it stayed with me for a long long time. I couldn't put it down !

Me too, loved the book, and didn't guess the twist at the end, which is always good. I was disappointed to see that the author's other book (can't remember the name of it) got really bad reviews.
  • TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Just finished Reckless by S C Stephens. Book is the final in a trilogy. Fabulous books by a fabulous writer of her genre.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Finished Gone Girl yesterday. One of those books that I read so quickly as I love it, on the other hand I want to read slower as I don't want them to finish. I did really like it, although maybe a 'happier' ending would've satisfied me more, I would've liked to have seen someone get their just desserts as it were (trying not to give away spoilers here).

Just started The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney; seems OK so far, although I'm not 'hooked' yet.

I know what you mean! As I got closer to the ending, I had no idea how it could end - there didn't seem a way out for me! Glad you enjoyed it! I think I'll reread it at some point, but at a slower pace seeing as I know what happens now, and then I can fully appreciate it!

I'm reading Losing It by Cora Carmack now, its ok so far, nothing amazing.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few Agatha Christie novels and have enjoyed reading through them again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Tiron wrote: »
    Just finished Reckless by S C Stephens. Book is the final in a trilogy. Fabulous books by a fabulous writer of her genre.

An waiting for payday to get this book, cannot wait!
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. Sharply observant, beautifully spun-out cream and silvery sentences. Interestingly, 'would of' in the dialogue is used to undermine certain would-be sophisticates.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started reading The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce .. and an unlikely good read it turned out to be .. humorous and poignant as the story of Harold Maureen and Queenie is revealed along the 600+ mile trek from Dorset to Berwick-upon-Tweed.

This is on my too read list, glad you enjoyed it....:)

I am reading Capital by John Lanchester and I am really enjoying it. The way in interves the stories of his various characters is brillant. I love that he makes me want to know what will happen to them next..:)
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything by David Mitchell! I saw the
    film of Cloud Atlas recently and had, as
    a coincidence just got the book as a gift
    from one of my sons.Loved the film,so
    immediately read the book.
    Now working through the other four books
    in publication order!
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished "Watching the Dark" the latest DI Banks. One of the best so far even though its largely based in Estonia.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazysusan wrote: »
    This is on my too read list, glad you enjoyed it....:)

I am reading Capital by John Lanchester and I am really enjoying it. The way in interves the stories of his various characters is brillant. I love that he makes me want to know what will happen to them next..:)

As it happens I've just started Capital . we can compare notes when we have finished!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new audio book is The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman, read by Rebecca Lacey. It's the first in a series of books featuring Merrily Watkins, the newly appointed priest in charge of the parish of Ledwardine, Herefordshire. There are sinister goings on in the picture postcard village. Quite good so far.

I'm still reading The Gathering Night by Margaret Elphinstone. Set about 8000 years ago, it's well written and obviously well researched. I'm nearly halfway through and am finding it a bit dull really. Hopefully it'll get going soon.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Empire - Jeremy Paxman
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Kimberley Chambers - The Trap
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Empire Of The Sun.

Having to ration myself (oh the irony!) with it, because I'm enjoying it so much.

Only got two left from my pile that I bought the other week- The Buddha Of Suburbia & Hangover Square, so I need to get hunting for my next set.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Hope its good :)
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Chris Ewan - Safe House
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empire Of The Sun.

Having to ration myself (oh the irony!) with it, because I'm enjoying it so much.

Only got two left from my pile that I bought the other week- The Buddha Of Suburbia & Hangover Square, so I need to get hunting for my next set.

im also reading Hangover Square. Strange but gripping.