Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    I'm so excited!! This wait wasn't as bad as the last two year wait, or the two year wait before that. I guess time moves faster as you grow really old waiting for Doc Martin. Tried filling the time with Downton (fun but sad), Ballykissangel (really sad), House, (only watch for one season when House and Cuddy were together), and Bones (once she got together with Booth). But this is what I've been really waiting for. Let the spoilers begin!

Body of Proof, Castle and Grey's Anatomy are also good fillers if you have a Roku box and Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hulu Plus.

If you never saw it FlashForward is excellent. It is a shame they cancelled it after one season but the episodes they did make were excellent and intriguing. If you read the Amazon reviews the first review is by the author of the book it was based on-rather rare for an author to give a 5 star rating to a movie/TV show that was based on his book. There is no freebie stream on this that I know of (haven't looked because I have the DVD's).
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (BTW, the lovely English series Call the MIdwife is starting its second season in late March on PBS.)

This is such a great episode, I think. Possibly caricatures Molly the midwife's anti-male stance, but shes' fun anyway.

There are onions next to the bowl of blood as DM is doing his densensitization exercises in the shed.

"Just a slight tumescence" when speaking to Marigold -- gives me a laugh every time.

So many subtle, great lines here, and shots. Like the embarassed look on the kid's face when DM starts asking Louisa about her "bowel and waterworks." And Louisa's reaction when DM tells her, "well, its' a long way to Truro."

also loved Mrs. Tishell's catty remarks and facial expressions when Louisa in her pharmacy with Molly. And Louisa's reaction, b/c she totally got that Mrs. T. was being unkind to her

Also noticed DM's comment to the teenage mother: "You're a mother, your life will change, get used to it."

Followed shortly by Louisa admitting to Molly that part of the reason that she wasn't sleeping well was fretting about whether she had taken on too much (although nowhere near ready to admit that to Martin).

such a cleverly written episode. Ben Bolt is amazing -- writing and directing this episode.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    (BTW, the lovely English series Call the MIdwife is starting its second season in late March on PBS.)

such a cleverly written episode. Ben Bolt is amazing -- writing and directing this episode.

I agree -

I think this episode has some of the most natural dialogue between DM and LG, saving DM's hemming and hawing about going to London.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think Johnny Bamford crossed the BP line by disclosing the church location?

Maybe he won the pool in which he gets to do the first leak!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I wonder if he uses "Tommy's Taxis". :) Not if Tommy says its snowing out!

Might be LG would (with her forgiving nature--lesson learned and all that) but Doc!! ha! I think he'd walk first.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Maybe The Doc will make his house calls on horseback...

Could be that MC has ensured this is written into the scripts for Series Six...

It'll have to be Chester--don't think Ronnie or Bruce is ready to ride yet!!

Ahhh, heaven! Doc Martin and a horse all in the same story. Sigh.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shoot film and TV shows out of sequence all the time for various reasons.

They already do that. See 3:05 into this clip.

BTW-In reference to a discussion a couple pages ago if you look at the white numbers/letters under the video on the clip I linked above the first set of numbers is the time code and it is 24fps. The "KZ" indicates that it was shot on Kodak Vision 200T film, the six digits (2 digits than 4 digits) that follow the KZ identify the roll of film, the 4 digits that follow that indicate which foot of film the video occurs on and the numbers following the "+" sign indicates the frame of video within that foot of film. The "VT" followed by three digits indicate the video tape library number that the film was dubbed to when it was converted from film to video tape for editing/broadcast purposes using a Telecine.

Thanks, Adelie, for another fun behind the scenes look at something I've seen and wondered about. 'Preciate you sharin' your knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsWindy1 wrote: »
    I'm so excited!! This wait wasn't as bad as the last two year wait, or the two year wait before that. I guess time moves faster as you grow really old waiting for Doc Martin. Tried filling the time with Downton (fun but sad), Ballykissangel (really sad), House, (only watch for one season when House and Cuddy were together), and Bones (once she got together with Booth). But this is what I've been really waiting for. Let the spoilers begin!

Yeah, good shows, though I haven't seen Ballykissangel yet. I also got hooked on Endgame, a Canadian series on hulu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Hello Everyone, new to the group

I've been reading the forum for about 2 months now. Discovered Doc Martin on Netflix one day when I finished the 2nd season of Downton and was craving another British series. Got hooked and haven't looked back. Am quite obsessed with DM and LG, Love Aunt Ruth and her sarcastic lines read perfectly straight, I miss Aunty Joan. Mrs. T is priceless and of course Pauline with her soft spoken ways but "knock out" lines.

Am breathlesly awaiting news any filming comencing. Would love some behind the scenes info if anyone is traveling to PI to catch some scenes (lucky!!) Keep up the great discussions!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is such a great episode, I think. Possibly caricatures Molly the midwife's anti-male stance, but shes' fun anyway.

There are onions next to the bowl of blood as DM is doing his densensitization exercises in the shed.

"Just a slight tumescence" when speaking to Marigold -- gives me a laugh every time.

So many subtle, great lines here, and shots. Like the embarassed look on the kid's face when DM starts asking Louisa about her "bowel and waterworks." And Louisa's reaction when DM tells her, "well, its' a long way to Truro."

also loved Mrs. Tishell's catty remarks and facial expressions when Louisa in her pharmacy with Molly. And Louisa's reaction, b/c she totally got that Mrs. T. was being unkind to her

Also noticed DM's comment to the teenage mother: "You're a mother, your life will change, get used to it."

Followed shortly by Louisa admitting to Molly that part of the reason that she wasn't sleeping well was fretting about whether she had taken on too much (although nowhere near ready to admit that to Martin).

Yes, New Park and Lemster, really great episode. And the funny part is that I really wasn't looking forward to it to begin with--for some reason I had a negative remembrance of it. But on watching this time, wow, is it loaded--wrote two pages of notes on it.

Besides MC and CC, Ian McNeice had a lot of work this ep and did it excellently. Joe A. was in the background a lot but his expressions were right on. Katherine P. really had Pauline's professionalism and concerns nailed down.

Noticed that Al and Pauline had no romance going on at all between them.
    How many different ways can you say "control"!!! Doc, LG, midwife, Marigold, Edith, Robert, Mrs. T, Pauline--virtually everyone.
    Love the very different sounding music as Bert and Marigold drive over to Tintagel.
    The midwife lies a lot.

Loved the scene at the school when Doc's face is level with Louisa's baby bump. Significant I think in that he's working on changing his life and the baby is right in his face. (Also, the above mentioned mother/change your life remark fits in, too.)
    Yet he bulls ahead telling Edith he'll be able to perform surgery, "mind over matter" remark from Penhale, but then Pauline as the wise woman "He's just being stubborn, he still hates it" about the blood.

Visual humor:
    The open air valves as the midwife starts blowing up the pool.
    The candy thermometer.

Great repartee and lines:
    "harpy's paddling pool"
    "I'm not a cat." "He doesn't pounce."
    "He's a very good doctor." "And a man." "No, he's not." "Yes, I am."
    "A woman could be just as insensitive as Martin." "What?" "Well, you are."
    "She does mean well." "That's all right then."
    "There's a sick man on Bodmin Moor. I'm on Bodmin Moor. And I'm a doctor." (doesn't say surgeon this time)

Louisa is still clinging to her independence but the cracks are showing, for example:
    Doc says "get some sleep" and her head wiggles indecisively, seeming to wonder who this nice man is.
    Midwife talks of the Doc "poisoning her mind as well as her body" but LG looks doubtful.
    LG tells Doc off while in the pool, but quickly looks unsure of herself.
    LG's facial expressions look uncomfortable as midwife dabs her face.

Perplexing:
    The grimace on DM's face when he finishes telling AJ about the job in London while they are outside. Meant to be his bittersweet reaction to leaving her?? Once inside, though, he does seem to almost smile at one point as they talk.

Interesting, too, that he's not told AJ until now about the job and has some trouble getting it out. And he has trouble telling LG also. Doesn't have any trouble barking at patients! Did notice he seems a bit more tempered/quiet with Pauline in this ep. also.

Finally:
    Louisa's amazing apology. She sounds so appropriate and speaks so nicely to him. And just when she finally seems to get it and be ready to compromise and include him, she gets hit with the news via Edith's spilled beans about the job. Gutted might be a good word.

Okay, I'm done. Good night!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, new to the group

I've been reading the forum for about 2 months now. Discovered Doc Martin on Netflix one day when I finished the 2nd season of Downton and was craving another British series. Got hooked and haven't looked back. Am quite obsessed with DM and LG, Love Aunt Ruth and her sarcastic lines read perfectly straight, I miss Aunty Joan. Mrs. T is priceless and of course Pauline with her soft spoken ways but "knock out" lines.

Am breathlesly awaiting news any filming comencing. Would love some behind the scenes info if anyone is traveling to PI to catch some scenes (lucky!!) Keep up the great discussions!!

Welcome dmptrader! If your obsessed with DM, then you have come to the right place.

Florida, huh, well, golly, I was just in southern Florida a couple weeks ago on vacation. First time for me. Have seen pictures, but I'm so glad I got to experience it firsthand. And no sinkholes, thank heaven!
    Forum Member
    Thank you SusieS, I am in Central FL, but I travel to S. FL often as I have my son's there. Work keeps me in Cent FL for now.:)
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    My brother will be in PI at the of March so I've asked him to keep his eyes open. I'm there the first week of June but I suspect filming will be over by then (My friend has a cottage there that I get to use when she isn't - how lucky am I?!) :D
    Forum Member
    My brother will be in PI at the of March so I've asked him to keep his eyes open. I'm there the first week of June but I suspect filming will be over by then (My friend has a cottage there that I get to use when she isn't - how lucky am I?!) :D

W:yawn:W that is awsome!! Great please pass on any info. Am desperate in FL
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't usually finish filming until mid/late July, so there should be plenty of opportunity for you to catch some of the action in June.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone, been a while since I posted on here but in the light of new spoilers I feel it's time. I hope they go through with the wedding. I really want to see them happy. I'm so excited. My husband is currently on active duty in Afganistan. Before I met him I've never been to Port Wenn even though I wanted to. Since then we have been three times, including just to see filming and he allowed us to go there for our honeymoon. As he is away I have to take our young son, I cannot - not go. It's a beautiful place of the world and I would love my son ( 1 year old) to see it. Esp as when I was pregnant I watched Doc Martin pretty much everyday when I wasn't feeling well. When he was born he recognized the theme tune!

I am hoping to head up in May time. do you know if they will be filming then? If any of your are about perhaps we should arrange a cream tea meet up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, been a while since I posted on here but in the light of new spoilers I feel it's time. I hope they go through with the wedding. I really want to see them happy. I'm so excited. My husband is currently on active duty in Afganistan. Before I met him I've never been to Port Wenn even though I wanted to. Since then we have been three times, including just to see filming and he allowed us to go there for our honeymoon. As he is away I have to take our young son, I cannot - not go. It's a beautiful place of the world and I would love my son ( 1 year old) to see it. Esp as when I was pregnant I watched Doc Martin pretty much everyday when I wasn't feeling well. When he was born he recognized the theme tune!

I am hoping to head up in May time. do you know if they will be filming then? If any of your are about perhaps we should arrange a cream tea meet up?

welcome back Leannethemouse -- they certainly will be filming in May but it's hard to predict which days or where. Hopefully, you will be lucky enough to catch some action. Can you drive down from where you are in Wales, or will you be staying over?

There certainly will be people from the Forum who are going, and from the FB fan pages for docmartin and martin clunes, and also a group from the Yahoo group "Portwenn Effect" is going in May (I think). So you will have plenty of company.

I know what you mean about slipping into the Portwenn world for a little soothing. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Perplexing:
    The grimace on DM's face when he finishes telling AJ about the job in London while they are outside. Meant to be his bittersweet reaction to leaving her?? Once inside, though, he does seem to almost smile at one point as they talk.

Interesting, too, that he's not told AJ until now about the job and has some trouble getting it out. And he has trouble telling LG also. Doesn't have any trouble barking at patients! Did notice he seems a bit more tempered/quiet with Pauline in this ep. also.

I got the feeling that he did not want to mention it until it was a 'done deal' and was a bit reticent to tell either of them because he never knows with either AJ or Louisa what reaction he will get-they will either be 'nice' or go nuclear.

I do not find his behaviour in this situation that surprising or perplexing. In his situation I would have waited until the last minute, too. Drop the bomb, duck and cover with the knowledge that you will only have to put up with the returning fire for a short time because you are leaving the whole situation behind you in a couple of days. In the (in his mind) unlikely situation where both Louisa and AJ are rather nice about the situation it spares him with the painful emotions and (in his mind) endless discussions involved with a long goodbye.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, New Park and Lemster, really great episode. And the funny part is that I really wasn't looking forward to it to begin with--for some reason I had a negative remembrance of it. But on watching this time, wow, is it loaded--wrote two pages of notes on it.

Besides MC and CC, Ian McNeice had a lot of work this ep and did it excellently. Joe A. was in the background a lot but his expressions were right on. Katherine P. really had Pauline's professionalism and concerns nailed down.

Noticed that Al and Pauline had no romance going on at all between them.
    How many different ways can you say "control"!!! Doc, LG, midwife, Marigold, Edith, Robert, Mrs. T, Pauline--virtually everyone.
    Love the very different sounding music as Bert and Marigold drive over to Tintagel.
    The midwife lies a lot.

Loved the scene at the school when Doc's face is level with Louisa's baby bump. Significant I think in that he's working on changing his life and the baby is right in his face. (Also, the above mentioned mother/change your life remark fits in, too.)
    Yet he bulls ahead telling Edith he'll be able to perform surgery, "mind over matter" remark from Penhale, but then Pauline as the wise woman "He's just being stubborn, he still hates it" about the blood.

Visual humor:
    The open air valves as the midwife starts blowing up the pool.
    The candy thermometer.

Great repartee and lines:
    "harpy's paddling pool"
    "I'm not a cat." "He doesn't pounce."
    "He's a very good doctor." "And a man." "No, he's not." "Yes, I am."
    "A woman could be just as insensitive as Martin." "What?" "Well, you are."
    "She does mean well." "That's all right then."
    "There's a sick man on Bodmin Moor. I'm on Bodmin Moor. And I'm a doctor." (doesn't say surgeon this time)

Louisa is still clinging to her independence but the cracks are showing, for example:
    Doc says "get some sleep" and her head wiggles indecisively, seeming to wonder who this nice man is.
    Midwife talks of the Doc "poisoning her mind as well as her body" but LG looks doubtful.
    LG tells Doc off while in the pool, but quickly looks unsure of herself.
    LG's facial expressions look uncomfortable as midwife dabs her face.

Perplexing:

Finally:
    Louisa's amazing apology. She sounds so appropriate and speaks so nicely to him. And just when she finally seems to get it and be ready to compromise and include him, she gets hit with the news via Edith's spilled beans about the job. Gutted might be a good word.

Okay, I'm done. Good night!

I love this episode, just as I like all Ben Bolt episodes.

I attiribute his inability to tell Louisa about his plans to move to London to avoidance behavior - I guess you would call it that. In his mind, it becomes a reality if he says - out loud - to Louisa that he is moving. He hears himself say it to her. Like it's a done deal. If he never says it to her, he doesn't have to deal with the emotions he will feel when he sees her reaction. We don't know if he has an expectation of how she will react. What if she says "okay - no problem"? He will be disappointed and hurt that she doesn't want him around. If she is upset and angry that he is leaving, he might feel guilty about leaving. I think he just wants to avoid feeling anything because any and all emotions scare him and so he suppresses them and avoids them. Like Penhale says "Make a clean break. Avoid messy emotions."

I was proud of him telling AJ. It was obviously hard for him to tell even her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'd love to see him playing a spy role. He'd be quite good at it. But how is he doing it if it's filming now? Isn't he quite busy for the next few months?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'd love to see him playing a spy role. He'd be quite good at it. But how is he doing it if it's filming now? Isn't he quite busy for the next few months?

It does seem like a hectic schedule ...
    Here's a little more on the Strike Back series: http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_news/uk-actors-to-join-strike-back-4.aspx?year=2013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the feeling that he did not want to mention it until it was a 'done deal' and was a bit reticent to tell either of them because he never knows with either AJ or Louisa what reaction he will get-they will either be 'nice' or go nuclear.

I do not find his behaviour in this situation that surprising or perplexing. In his situation I would have waited until the last minute, too. Drop the bomb, duck and cover with the knowledge that you will only have to put up with the returning fire for a short time because you are leaving the whole situation behind you in a couple of days. In the (in his mind) unlikely situation where both Louisa and AJ are rather nice about the situation it spares him with the painful emotions and (in his mind) endless discussions involved with a long goodbye.

one thing I found a little odd about his conversation with AJ is that by this point, I don't think he knew that his getting the job was a done deal. Yet over the kitchen table they are talking as if it was a foregone conclusion. It's only later that night that Edith tells him he's definitely got it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member

I think that he was in South Africa in February. Someone who works for an airline Tweeted that he was "off to Joberg," and then, on Feb. 19, tweeted that he'd just met Martin Clunes. ("What a top man so so lovely.") Later the same day a chef who works for CapeTownChef tweeted a photo of a dinner which he'd "served to Martin Clunes. Highlight of my day."
    I'd wondered what he was doing there. And now we see that Strike Back is "currently in production in South Africa and Hungary." So he's probably already done some filming for that. He may be able to finish his part before filming starts for Doc Martin on March 25.
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    "I think that he was in South Africa in February. Someone who works for an airline Tweeted that he was "off to Joberg," and then, on Feb. 19, tweeted that he'd just met Martin Clunes. ("What a top man so so lovely.") Later the same day a chef who works for CapeTownChef tweeted a photo of a dinner which he'd "served to Martin Clunes. Highlight of my day."
    I'd wondered what he was doing there. And now we see that Strike Back is "currently in production in South Africa and Hungary." So he's probably already done some filming for that. He may be able to finish his part before filming starts for Doc Martin on March 25."

Do you think they will film during the Easter Holiday?
This discussion has been closed.