Options

'Facts' that are not true

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    It's more a case of if enough people not understanding the meaning of a word misuse it then the meaning changes.

Like when both the words were used with no problems until Robert Baker came along a couple of hundred years ago and made up a rule that contradicts both historical and modern day usage.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of movie misquotes, Darth Vader never said "Luke, I am your father" as is popularly quoted.

He doesn't say his name, but he does say "no, I am your father" though.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Like when both the words were used with no problems until Robert Baker came along a couple of hundred years ago and made up a rule that contradicts both historical and modern day usage.

Yes pretty much the same way Webster did with spellings.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Holness played the sax riff on "Baker Street"
    Fact.
    Now you can't refute it.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Ingrid Bergman never said "Play it again, Sam" in the film "Casablanca". She actually said "Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By".

Yeah, but it is the next bit where the "misquote" comes from.

After Ilsa and Sam's exchange Rick says -

"You played it for her, you can play it for me. ... If she can stand to listen to it, I can. Play it."

Which is the part where the where people think the "Play it again, Sam" line goes.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That you can't drink alcohol when on antibiotics is a myth believed by a huge amount of people. There's actually only a small group of antibiotics that you shouldn't drink on, most of them are fine.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that the theory that you taste different flavours with different areas of the tongue isn't true.

Surely it's a very easy thing to prove or disprove?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Looking at google, Napoleon was 5 feet 6. If that was classed as 'above average', what was the height of the average male - not very tall :o

On a recent historical programme on TV, they said that doorways in olden times weren't small because people were smaller then, but because they were expensive to build.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    He doesn't say his name, but he does say "no, I am your father" though.

Agreed.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 is interesting. People like to tell me off when I use "less" and "fewer" haphazardly.

I'm one of those who is rather pedantic over the use of "less" and "fewer" but I'll also agree that it is not a fixed grammatical rule and there are often grey areas where it is simply a case of one sounding better. However, the words aren't always interchangeable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Looking at google, Napoleon was 5 feet 6. If that was classed as 'above average', what was the height of the average male - not very tall :o
    It's not so strange - people are getting taller all the time.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I can say that 15 is correct, as I've tested it.

Also, Captain Pugwash never had crew members called Seaman Stains, Master Bates, nor Jack The Cabin Boy.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    31. Eating turkey*doesn't make you any more sleepy*than most other foods.

I had never heard that one anyway!

It was on mythbusters - turns out the myth comes about as the classic time to eat turkey (christmas and thanksgiving) is also a time when we tend to gorge on food and drink anyway. We end up sleepy but its not due to the turkey - its being boozy greedy-guts!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Also, Captain Pugwash never had crew members called Seaman Stains, Master Bates, nor Jack The Cabin Boy.

Was it not supposedly Roger The Cabin Boy? Yes, complete myth though.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the slang term "Pugwash" post-dates the cartoon too;-)

Pugwash's creator, John Ryan, got so pissed off with this rumour and that the cartoon was banned that he resolved to sue the next publication that repeated it - turns out he sued The Guardian back in the '90s, but thats not really stopped the myth - I think some "facts" are just too funny to bother to check :)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

I thought it was Roger the Cabin Boy in popular mythology! (It was actually Tom.)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Was it not supposedly Roger The Cabin Boy? Yes, complete myth though.

They myth could've been Roger, although I always remember Jack.

In fact, his name was the very safe Tom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voltaire's famous quote in defence of free speech... well, he never actually said it.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of movie misquotes, Darth Vader never said "Luke, I am your father" as is popularly quoted.

Another common movie misquote: Dirty Harry never said "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mount everest isnt tallest mountain
    Mauna Kea is

and humans have way more than 5 senses
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

....it didn't stop him trying though.....:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another common movie misquote: Dirty Harry never said "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

I think it's

"You've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    On a side note - I was amazed that the reveal was such a big shock.
    I guessed this towards the end of watching 'New Hope' for the first time - long before 'Empire' was released.
    Leaving the cinema after New Hope I even said to a mate that I bet Vader turns out to be Skywalker's dad.

The fact that 'Vader' is Dutch for Father, was a BIG hint.
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    On a recent historical programme on TV, they said that doorways in olden times weren't small because people were smaller then, but because they were expensive to build.

It also meant that people had to stoop as they enter - A bonus which meant that someone standing just inside the door, to one side, could defend the entrance more effectively.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    It also meant that people had to stoop as they enter - A bonus which meant that someone standing just inside the door, to one side, could defend the entrance more effectively.
    And the requirement for an agile assailant to negotiate these small doors before emerging victorious is the origin of the phrase "stoop to conquer".