Anxiety/clenched jaw

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
Forum Member
✭✭
I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to deal with a clenched jaw, which is a result of anxiety.

I've had this for a few years now and it seems even without any stress I get bouts of clenched jaw, which leads to headaches and a general feeling of unwell & tiredness.

I've been to the docs and all he can suggest is drugs to help & loosen muscles when uptight, but I don't want to start on these (unless all other avenues have been explored). Otherwise he suggested getting to the bottom of what causes the anxiety through counselling, which I've also done.

But like I say I it can come on for no apparent reason, which is frustrating to say the least.

It seems anxiety just stays with you forever and any advice on how to cope with it would be great.

Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapsrus wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to deal with a clenched jaw, which is a result of anxiety.

I've had this for a few years now and it seems even without any stress I get bouts of clenched jaw, which leads to headaches and a general feeling of unwell & tiredness.

I've been to the docs and all he can suggest is drugs to help & loosen muscles when uptight, but I don't want to start on these (unless all other avenues have been explored). Otherwise he suggested getting to the bottom of what causes the anxiety through counselling, which I've also done.

But like I say I it can come on for no apparent reason, which is frustrating to say the least.

It seems anxiety just stays with you forever and any advice on how to cope with it would be great.

Thanks all in advance.

I would try relaxtion techniques and possibly something like thai chi or yoga to help relax and loosen the muscles.

When we are tense or stressed our muscles automatically contract and tighten, they just need loosened off :)
  • sootygirlsootygirl Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this will help but...

When Im going through a stressful time I clench my jaw when I'm asleep which gives me headaches and really sore ears. I went to loads of doctors and nothing doing so eventually went to the dentist. He gave me a mold to wear at night when Im worried which kinda retrains my mouth not to clench ( I hope this makes sense) It seems to have worked!

Don't even need the mould now as I've broken the habbit.

Good luck!
  • Guru TartGuru Tart Posts: 5,008
    Forum Member
    Have you considered taking up a sport to release excess energy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I used to get this problem - it's horrible, so I really sympathise.

I found meditation really helpful. Someone also suggested clenching and relaxing my jaw as an exercise - I found that gave me some relief.
  • housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop taking E's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housewife wrote: »
    Stop taking E's.

Thanks for that sound advice, I'm really glad you jumped on board!
  • Pink WaferPink Wafer Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that if I realised I was clenching my jaw during the day, I'd make a point of relaxing my bottom jaw to loosen it up.

It seems to be working for me cos Mr Wafer is no longer complaining about my night time grinding.

It'll take a while but persevere with it ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're aware that you're doing it at the time, would chewing gum help? I know someone who grinds her teeth a lot and she says this reduces it.