why Tennant never did it for me

2»

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I never stated an expectation, I just said that Matt's Doctor is not "alien" IMO.

To me his character is a cross between Magnus Pyke and Mr Bean, oddball and quirky yes, alien no.
    That's exactly how I saw him, the same Bean hand mannerisms, he made a good mad professor, but never really sat right with me as the Doctor.

I am looking forward to PC as 12, hoefully he will feel more 'Doctorish' to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    To me his character is a cross between Magnus Pyke and Mr Bean, oddball and quirky yes, alien no.

But Mr Bean is an alien. You can even see him being beemed down to earth before every episode and Rowan Atkinson has even acknowledged an alien aspect to him.

It seems everyone has there own idea of an alien!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I never stated an expectation, I just said that Matt's Doctor is not "alien" IMO.

The thing with those people/characteristics is that they come across as somehow 'different'. Ten was the opposite (all imo, of course). I don't blame Tennant, as he's a strong actor. Ten was written as the romantic hero, the kiss of death for being different, as those are two a penny. He didn't stand out for his personality, just his cool equipment. (That's not a euphemism :D )

Everybody will have a different idea on how an alien amongst humans would seem - how would we know? However I believe that seeming somehow different from the human majority, even if it's so subtle that you can't put your finger on it, is a good way to present it in a fictional character. Not that the people you mentioned (and my personal favourite, the late Patrick Moore) are especially subtle in their oddness.

In Series 5, both Eleven and the Daleks went 'undercover'. The Daleks are mad killer aliens, from a different time and place, with built in weaponry and a serious tendency to overreact. Yet I think they were more successful at fitting in...
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member

So, what would the Doctor have to be like to be alien for you?
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    So, what would the Doctor have to be like to be alien for you?

I'm quite happy with the way all the incarnations have been portrayed (some more than others admittedly).

I'm not looking for an "alien" Doctor, after all he looks like a human, talks like a human, walks like a human and in the main behaves like a human.

I think the Doctor should have a certain "Doctorishness" about him, i.e. that certain X factor that sets him apart, something that you can't quite put into words but which becomes obvious when you see it on screen.

I know you and others feel differently to me, and that's fine, but I just don't see this "alien" tag as applying to any of the Doctors.......
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I wonder what is "alien" for you? A humanoid with a telescopic, slime dripping double jaws and acid for blood?

Please help put my mind at rest! I've been wondering all day what the missing word after "telescopic" is, and some of the solutions that have occurred to me are quite disturbing.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Ten seemed more confident with humanity and its customs. He had a bit more swagger and slightly less of the 'quirky bookish oddball' that has been a feature of some of the others but why not? He wasn't so far removed as to seem 'Un-Doctorish' but was something new which made him exciting. I fail to see how Ecclestones portrayal was any more 'alien' than Tennants. He was refreshingly blokey at times despite some obvious quirks.

I think if the Doctor ever became truly alien it would make him unrelatable for the audience and massively unlikeable.

Also lets not forget that he is now many centuries old. He would and should be fairly clued up on the ways of human beings rather than naive waif blundering around.

I think there are certain traits and characteristics a Doctor should have. Tennant had them to differing degrees and embodied the character.
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten ... had a bit more swagger and slightly less of the 'quirky bookish oddball' that has been a feature of some of the others.

"Bookish"? When was the Doctor ever bookish?

Admittedly, when he was scripted by Pip and Jane Baker he occasionally sounded as if he had swallowed a dictionary and couldn't keep all of it down, but he never sounded bookish to me.

Like seanyboy, I didn't like the 10th Doctor acting drunk. It felt like a gratuitous degradation of the character.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    "Bookish"? When was the Doctor ever bookish?

Admittedly, when he was scripted by Pip and Jane Baker he occasionally sounded as if he had swallowed a dictionary and couldn't keep all of it down, but he never sounded bookish to me.

Like seanyboy, I didn't like the 10th Doctor acting drunk. It felt like a gratuitous degradation of the character.

Really? I thought there was a degree of that in a few of the Classic Doctors...a scholarly, Professor quality. The dusty old academic more interested in facts and science and somewhat disinterested or at the least a bit baffled by matters of the heart and human emotions.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Please help put my mind at rest! I've been wondering all day what the missing word after "telescopic" is, and some of the solutions that have occurred to me are quite disturbing.

Sorry. Just a typo. :D There's an extra "a" that shouldn't be there.
    A humanoid with telescopic, slime dripping double jaws and acid for blood?