Were the pre DSO transmitters recycled following DSO?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just wondering what happened to the existing digital transmitters when DSO took place at various times around the country.

Were they reused to provide existing or new services after DSO?

Were they scrapped as they would have been a few years old and possibly superseded by new and more efficient technology?

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure people on here have said that the COM7/8 muxes are using recycled kit (which would make sense given that it's an interim, temporary thing).

Presumably the best of the best was kept and the oldest/non supported/not upgradable stuff dumped
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I'm sure people on here have said that the COM7/8 muxes are using recycled kit (which would make sense given that it's an interim, temporary thing).

Presumably the best of the best was kept and the oldest/non supported/not upgradable stuff dumped

That would make sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I'm just wondering what happened to the existing digital transmitters when DSO took place at various times around the country.

Were they reused to provide existing or new services after DSO?

Were they scrapped as they would have been a few years old and possibly superseded by new and more efficient technology?

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Modern transmitters are a fraction of the size and a fraction of the cost ,plus very much more efficient.
    The reason in my opinion why they were not scrapped is because this would have reduced the value of the capital assets on the balance sheet of our wonderful monopoly operator of our broadcast infastructure.

Aren't monopolies wonderful ,they benefit us all ,cough splutter .
    Also charges are made to the TV companies for the floor space in the transmitter rooms and consequent higher operating costs .
    Consequently a bigger footprint and higher opex and possible capex costs could be the results
    More dosh for bankers bonuses !

My opinion is it could be a bit of Tesco accounting !
    Trouble is engineers like myself are being given the heave ho to reduce costs .
    This for a short period increases profits ,but engineering skill is compromised in the organisation .
    But this is the type of short term managment that often occurs to maximise the sale of companies .
    This is happening so I believe to many privatised companies such as BT and mobile phone companies merging , but the result could be poor engineering and poor quality to customers .
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    The Channel 4 transmitter from Sudbury appeared in an exhibition at the ICA for a while before it got scrapped:
    http://www.t293.it/artists/simon-denny/#works-20
    http://www.t293.it/artists/simon-denny/#works-21