Yes folks we will have a one-dimensional servebot in London

Oh Roger WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??????

My feelings exactly.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    My feelings exactly.

there's not really many words that can be used in such a grave situation unfortunately

I guess we can only hope he gets demolished by everyone and such a disaster never occurs ever again :)
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard luck Andy - after the run you have had I think QF of this tournament is more than acceptable. I think the big four theory has well and truly been dispelled and the key to any more major's for Andy is simply avoiding Djokovic (until the final) because out of the top players he seems to be the strongest and healthiest at present.

I suppose the success of Novak may actually put a lot of question marks as to the idea that this is the greatest era of modern tennis - because I see a fit Djokovic wiping the floor with all his current pretenders. The changing of the guard might mix things up a bit but I don't see anybody to beat this guy as it stands ...

But is he really that good in the grand scheme of things??
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    The worst day in tennis for quite some time

To be quite fair most servebots in both ladies and gents side of the game have done well (in the history of the game) and whilst I don't particularly enjoy that side of the game I don't think it is fair to dismiss the skill they show as some sort of lesser talent - these guys n' gals play to their strengths and on that service line it is one of the rare times when everybody is truly equal ... because they are simply better at executing that most important first shot in tennis is not really their fault.
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Daveed.
    Tried so hard and came so close last night - again!
    I really think he needs someone to instil some self belief in him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Hard luck Andy - after the run you have had I think QF of this tournament is more than acceptable. I think the big four theory has well and truly been dispelled and the key to any more major's for Andy is simply avoiding Djokovic (until the final) because out of the top players he seems to be the strongest and healthiest at present.

I suppose the success of Novak may actually put a lot of question marks as to the idea that this is the greatest era of modern tennis - because I see a fit Djokovic wiping the floor with all his current pretenders. The changing of the guard might mix things up a bit but I don't see anybody to beat this guy as it stands ...

YEAH :D

Seriously though, he's not as good as he has been in the past, but he's as good as he has to be at present.
    I tend to think if the opposition were better, then he would be too. :)
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is who really that good? Djokovic? Of course he is. He has 7 slams, though should have more (rough period of choking in big matches recently), had arguably the greatest year ever 2011, in which he destroyed Nadal and Federer. In fact, all of his slams were won against really tough competition. All his slams he had to beat Nadal, Murray or Federer, sometimes two of them. He was also very unlucky for years, he had a lot of health issues and had to have an operation to help his breathing etc.

The strong era thing isn't true in all cases. The clay field is weak, and 2010 was an absolute shocker with all the top players bar Nadal AWOL and people like Melzer in slam semi finals. But the tour can't be tough all the time.

I disagree that Andy just has to avoid Novak to win slams. I would still bet on Nadal or Roger against him at the moment. Andy has two slams, nothing to be sniffed at. Even if he doesn't win anymore that is a good number. Some amazing players never get 1.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought he had to win the tournament in Paris to qualify for London?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBF to Raonic, his game is much improved over the last year. To win on a slow court against Fed shouldn't be under-appreciated. He's not great to watch, but for me, he's better than the grinding monotony and averageness of Daveed.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My feelings exactly. I know it takes skill to be a serve-bot, but just like juggling, I find it of limited entertainment value after a couple of minutes, and I don't want to watch it. There's also something about Raonic that I find disturbing. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, and probably just a bit socially awkward with stupid hair, but I'd much rather have had Daveed in London (possibly for the last time).

That said, I want Novak to be year end #1. I admire Roger immensely, and how he's come back to the top after his underwhelming 2013, is a lesson to many. However, I think it would be bad for the tour if he ended the year at #1.

I'm disappointed Andy couldn't beat Novak, but not exactly surprised given the circumstances. I still think he's much improved on earlier this season, but a bit sad that his serve seemed to go AWOL again and couldn't have kept things a little more competitive. Totally understandable, and hopefully he's put an end to the 'he might as well retire' comments from certain quarters. He was spot on when he said that it's been a tough year etc, but it was wrong (and insulting to most of the tour) to call it a bad year.

I do believe he was eager to boost his ranking points, but there must have been part of him that was grateful to secure a place in London and to put Grigor back in his place. He also survived just long enough for him to be able to make excuses to avoid going to the studio for Strictly!:p:blush::o He can have a well deserved couple of days quality time with the dogs on the sofa, then refocus for the O2.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Poor Daveed.
    Tried so hard and came so close last night - again!
    I really think he needs someone to instil some self belief in him.

Yeah, but sadly it's too late for his tennis career. I wouldn't be surprised if next year is his last. I do think that he has pretty much maximised his talent but there wll be a number of "If only..." matches he'll regret.
    TBF to Raonic, his game is much improved over the last year. To win on a slow court against Fed shouldn't be under-appreciated. He's not great to watch, but for me, he's better than the grinding monotony and averageness of Daveed.

Say what you mean about Daveed why don't you?:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite - I always suppport Fed except when he's threatening Djoko's no.1. ;-)
    Ashamed to say I was quite relieved when Raonic beat him.
    Raonic is my least favourite player on tour though - even more so now as I keep thinking about the toilet seat problem :D and I hope Berdy beats him tomorrow.
    Would like Ferrer to win this one and make it to London.

Toilet seat problem?:confused: Is that his excuse for that long toilet break? The mind boggles....!:o:D
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Yeah, but sadly it's too late for his tennis career. I wouldn't be surprised if next year is his last. I do think that he has pretty much maximised his talent but there wll be a number of "If only..." matches he'll regret.

Say what you mean about Daveed why don't you?:p:D

I am pretty unfair on him, but as you say he's not going to win a Slam now, and he's just muddying up the top 10 when we could do with new players coming through.

Nishkori, Raonic, Cilic (sigh) and Dmitrov could have multiple-slam winning careers. There also seems to be some real talent with the likes of Coric and Krygios.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Toilet seat problem?:confused: Is that his excuse for that long toilet break? The mind boggles....!:o:D

They took him to one of those toilets where it it is fitted to the ground apparently and he refused to squat so they had to take him to a toilet with a proper toilet seat. Hence the reason for the long delay for him to return to court. He wasn't constipated despite rumours to the contrary when they posted that photos of the look on his face. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am pretty unfair on him, but as you say he's not going to win a Slam now, and he's just muddying up the top 10 when we could do with new players coming through.

Nishkori, Raonic, Cilic (sigh) and Dmitrov could have multiple-slam winning careers. There also seems to be some real talent with the likes of Coric and Krygios.

I understand you not liking David and his style and perhaps his seeming lack of ambition against the top players but surely it's up to the new blood to make their own way and get to the top on merit. It's not for David to retire to help these guys out! Anyway, talent will always rise to the top - if the players you mention could be multi-slam winners, they will be surely regardless of who else is playing.
    They took him to one of those toilets where it it is fitted to the ground apparently and he refused to squat so they had to take him to a toilet with a proper toilet seat. Hence the reason for the long delay for him to return to court. He wasn't constipated despite rumours to the contrary when they posted that photos of the look on his face. :D

That's hilarious and much more understandable than the images that were going through my mind!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Novak? Jeez he'll go down as one of the greatest players ever when he retires I'd have no doubt

In 2011 I'm not sure there was anyone (even a peak Federer from mid 00's) that could beat him at his best.

I've no doubt he'll win the career Grand slam and to win 7 slams in this era by the age of 27 is incredible
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    My feelings exactly. I know it takes skill to be a serve-bot, but just like juggling, I find it of limited entertainment value after a couple of minutes, and I don't want to watch it. There's also something about Raonic that I find disturbing. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, and probably just a bit socially awkward with stupid hair, but I'd much rather have had Daveed in London (possibly for the last time).

This. He seems a pleasant young man but there's something about him that makes him hard to warm to I think. Can't really place it

Gee harsh enough

ferrer is well and truly in the top 10 on merit. I don't agree with those that say he's going to go away any time soon either. Yes, he's less consistent now (as is expected at his age) but he's still super fit and plays with his heart on his sleeve. He'll still make more slam quarters and semis yet.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is who really that good? Djokovic? Of course he is. He has 7 slams, though should have more (rough period of choking in big matches recently), had arguably the greatest year ever 2011, in which he destroyed Nadal and Federer. In fact, all of his slams were won against really tough competition. All his slams he had to beat Nadal, Murray or Federer, sometimes two of them. He was also very unlucky for years, he had a lot of health issues and had to have an operation to help his breathing etc.

The strong era thing isn't true in all cases. The clay field is weak, and 2010 was an absolute shocker with all the top players bar Nadal AWOL and people like Melzer in slam semi finals. But the tour can't be tough all the time.

I disagree that Andy just has to avoid Novak to win slams. I would still bet on Nadal or Roger against him at the moment. Andy has two slams, nothing to be sniffed at. Even if he doesn't win anymore that is a good number. Some amazing players never get 1.

Everybody called Becker, McEnroe, Lendl, Willander and Edberg all time greats when neither had won the full set of grand slam titles, and none of them reached 10 grand slam titles either.

To my mind you have to win the career grand slam and win 10+ grand slam titles (or at least approaching 10 grand slam titles), or at least won at 3 of the 4 grand slam venues together with having collected 10+ grand slam to be tier 1 all time greats so none of Becker, McEnroe, Willander, Lendl and Edberg can be tier 1, great though they were. Djokovic will need to win 8 or 9 career grand slam titles and win the career grand slam, or 10+ together with having already won at 3 of the grand slam venues to be tier 1, as great as he is.

It may seem harsh, but there has to a very high watermark as a measure of all time greatness.

In any case this weak era or vacuum era theory, there has never been such a thing. I always notice in forums if some are fans of specific players who are challenging at the top of the rankings it's one of the strongest eras ever, but if a player some dislike is seriously challenging they class it as being a very weak era indeed, or it's the vacuum era. It's complete nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can say that again.
    To be a top 10 player for as long as he has is a fantastic achievement. He's earned that place through hard work and determination. If the new players you refer to want his place they'll have to earn it.
    And to call him average - :confused:
    Not sure what you've got against him but it seems to be clouding your judgement. :p
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the flack Ferrer gets is harsh. He's a fine player who's achieved a lot. Not the most exciting player to watch, but he should be commended for maxing out his talent to the extent he has.
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well done to ranoic through to a masters final hope he wins my fav player what is the different between ranoic and roddick big serve ah
  • Options
    Hilary22catHilary22cat Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. He seems a pleasant young man but there's something about him that makes him hard to warm to I think. Can't really place it

Mmmm - I think its something to do with his total lack of charisma or emotion on and off the court. I know he cant help his physical appearance and its unfair to judge him on it, but I think the problem is that like many overly large people, he looks like a 10 year old in a man's body. And the sleeve thing????

Perhaps the top players have just been around so long we feel we know them and their personalities, so anyone new feels strange. However I'm not sure there is anyone who stands out in the new crop who I will go out of my way to watch in the future, at the moment there are so many. :cry:
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmm - I think its something to do with his total lack of charisma or emotion on and off the court. I know he cant help his physical appearance and its unfair to judge him on it, but I think the problem is that like many overly large people, he looks like a 10 year old in a man's body. And the sleeve thing????

Perhaps the top players have just been around so long we feel we know them and their personalities, so anyone new feels strange. However I'm not sure there is anyone who stands out in the new crop who I will go out of my way to watch in the future, at the moment there are so many. :cry:
    Raonic really is a strange one. I get the impression from comments that he is totally focused to the point of obsession in his tennis and that he needs to get a balance.
    At some point new players will emerge and take over at the top. Fleming thought Raonic could be a world No 1. I dread the day that happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dazc wrote: »
    well done to ranoic through to a masters final hope he wins my fav player what is the different between ranoic and roddick big serve ah

Raonic wouldn't lace roddick's boots.

And Andy is probably the most overrated player in the history of tennis
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raonic wouldn't lace roddick's boots.

And Andy is probably the most overrated player in the history of tennis

I think you put in these comments to get a rise from everybody. I'm not rising:p

Kei looks injured. Chance for Ferrer?
This discussion has been closed.