Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the episode :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they will revive the Lofty/Robyn stuff tonight.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the 15th time Ian has "left"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lee Mead posted is earlier:
    Night shoot day five. It's official, body clock is screwed . - Loving it though. Can't wait until this one goes out. @BBCCasualty

Interesting....it seems as though Lofty will take centre stage then. I doubt Lee would do 5 night shoots just to be in the background, would he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Apart from Connie, the acting tonight hasn't been good. Some of the dialogue is a bit awkward as well.
    And I'm getting really annoyed at Ethan not giving his odious **** of a brother a pasting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cal is hilarious - his lines tonight are just stupid that I'm laughing!
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Cal is hilarious - his lines tonight are just stupid that I'm laughing!

Agreed - loved his breaking bad reference also:D
  • PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit disapointing tonight - Ive been watching from day 1.

Regards
    Pearl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baban wrote: »
    Agreed - loved his breaking bad reference also:D

Yeh that was good :D
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Lee Mead posted is earlier:

Interesting....it seems as though Lofty will take centre stage then. I doubt Lee would do 5 night shoots just to be in the background, would he?
    Think they're filming Zoe and Max's wedding.
    Forum Member
    Loved tonight's episode. Amanda Mealing was brilliant as usual. Favourite scene has to be the Charlie and Connie chat l. Loved that he talked about Megan :)
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Loved tonight's episode. Amanda Mealing was brilliant as usual. Favourite scene has to be the Charlie and Connie chat l. Loved that he talked about Megan :)

Yeah that was my highlight too, made me look at when Megan died on Wiki, i can't believe it was almost 5 years ago, were has that time gone, i thought it was about 2 years ago.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall an OK episode, I thought. However, yet again, the Connie stuff took up so much time that other stuff (Cal/Ethan, the patient stories) felt rushed.

One thing that confused me - where were the teen mum's parents? Were they even mentioned? That seemed odd.

I hope Ethan sticks to his guns re: asking Cal to leave his flat, but I'm not holding my breath! Cal strikes me as one of life's users, who thinks he can charm his way out of anything. He needs a wake-up call.

I thought Alfred was an old friend of Connie. As he isn't, the 'helping him to die' storyline seems strange.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I thought they were actually going to get through an episode writing Connie as genuinely sympathetic. But nope, she has to get judgemental and odious about a situation that she knows nothing about and has nothing to do with her, taking out her issues on a woman who commits the heinous sin of wanting a baby and a teenager who finds out he's going to be a father in the same minute his ex-girlfriend goes into labour and doesn't take it in his stride. I did find the potential adopted mother a bit overbearing but for Connie to turn on her like that after hearing what her life has been like showed an almost sociopathic lack of empathy: By what twisted insane logic was all the medical problems her fault? Is she suggesting the girl should have had an abortion, which doesn't fit in with the "She's a natural" ethos expounded elsewhere? It just felt like Connie being nasty to people for the sake of it. Which is usually Rita's job, but, despite my tensing up every time she went near the storyline, even more than last episode she didn't put a foot wrong. (Of course, she didn't put a foot right either, she was just sort of there.) Charlie is once more cast as a wise sage, which he does well, although his "It never leaves you" speech might have more impact if this wasn't the first sign he still thinks about Megan since the episode after it happened.

It might be a pot, kettle, black moment but Lily calling Cal a sociopath seems spot on, so Ethan deciding not to call the police and handing out a token punishment (which he'll probably take back) was frustrating. And wasn't Ethan the older brother last time it came up? Pick one and stick to it! (It just adds to the feeling these two have no actual back story, hence 15 months into their time on the show the anomaly of brothers with different surnames hasn't been mentioned, much less explained.) The bullying storyline was okay but wimps out at the end by turning the bully nice (or at least vulnerable), which felt like a way to force a parallel with Cal and make out that he's still redeemable despite evidence to the contrary.

Zoe was a bit of a snob towards Max but made up for it by feeling bad afterwards. It's somewhat frustrating that Iain is written as in the right for taking stupid risks that could get patients killed, when in fact Dixie, whatever her issues, is perfectly right to rein him in.
  • NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. First thing – what was the point in the work-to-rule stuff, anybody? If the staff have the time to gossip and set-up internet dating, then clearly there are efficiencies can be made – what a disingenuous, waste-of-time storyline – just an excuse to further the Connie-Rita pissing contest which is all leading to next week, isn’t it? On-the-other-hand, Louise involvement, maybe they should try to do something with Louise?

The boys will get there in the end. Cal needs a conscience and that unfortunately for Ethan, it’s Ethan – and to a lesser extent Lily. Pity that the first hint of commitment to a woman on Cal’s part was a scam-artist….

Are they really splitting up Dixie and Iain? Iain is starting to show depth, it would be a shame to split them up since he are beginning to show a little depth and they are hitting a groove, but hey, ho….

Like the Max and Zoe stuff, they are really trying aren’t they? They look really good too – kudos to the wardrobe people. And poor Robyn, she so is going to get disappointed by Lofty isn’t she?

To the school-boy, Curtis – I’ve been there, I was horribly bullied when I was young. Thank God there was no social media then. Take the boy aside, point at our dear Mrs B and say “stick in at school and one day, the bullies will rely on you.” For bullies tend to peak in High School but Nerds rule the World! Oddly makes me think of a Holby City episode ‘Roots’ which revealed the Peckham back-story. As I recall, Mrs B had her knickers passed around the dinner-hall by the boy, it’s implied, she lost her virginity to. She then ended up his heart surgeon – oh the triumph!

Actually, everything that isn’t Connie related is filler here. Stringing us along until the inevitable. I do like that they didn’t show us anything at the end; clearly we are supposed to remain on tenterhooks. I dare say the next couple of weeks will explain all. In the meantime, I do love the Mrs B-Charlie stuff, she always works best in a double-act, somebody to soften her off to the audience and interpret her for the group, somebody that’s just there. That was why she worked so well with Ric Griffin, Elliot Hope and Sam while they were still on speaking terms. I love the frank conversation out of the department – he gets down to the nitty-gritty but he will respect her decision.

The Rita-Connie BS detracted from the build-up of the Alfred-stuff – although I can’t help but think of Darth Vader more with every passing episode – without mentioning Luke Skywalker. Her conflict is palpable, probably for many reasons, some of which only long-term Connie-watchers will pick-up on. I think it would have been so much stronger if he was one of her med-school professors or one of the people who trained her, meaning some real reason to get this involved emotionally – beyond that she has nothing other than work to distract her from her crappy life at this point.

This is one of those episodes, it really helps to know Holby City throughout, especially in-relation to the young couple and baby. I get that they feel they needed to isolate her to make her upcoming fate work, but laying it on with a trowel or what? I think it’s safe to say that we realise that if she had had belief in Sam, in his willingness to be there, to make something work with her, if she could believe that he wouldn’t just leave and if he had believed in her and was willing to at least tolerate her Mission here in the ED fundamentally and support what she wanted to do, we would be in a very different place. These kids Anya and Jamie are the antithesis to them and yes, where were the parents? Interesting argument though, via the teacher, that there are some people not meant to be parents – that’s a scary implication about Connie, for whom emotionalism doesn’t come easily. It just serves to underline what a total hash she’s made of her own life through a series of bad choices, even if the whole “let them go and they will come back to you eventually, when they are ready” theme of ‘Clinging On’ suggests that Grace will reappear sometime in the next six months – it just underlines they many different, other ways they could have gone about introducing her and sustaining her in Casualty. I do wonder whether whether she thought "either start with the right intentions or don't bother - trust me, it doesn't work otherwise." It ain't elegant whatever the case.

Good to give her a CT-esque case given her existing specialty though and kinda nice that nobody actually died. I presume the stuff with the medicine-cabinet and Rita in the office is just about giving the later reason to suspect her. Pity, although great use of continuity with the reference to Megan Roach.

Very much a transitional, steps-through-the-story-arcs kinda episode. I am proper dreading next week though….
  • Casualty123xCasualty123x Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Hopefully dylan will have a storyline soon, he is one of the characters I would love to see more off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I hope Dylan gets his own story - I loved his advice - "You have two choices; go or don't go" - Thanks Dylan! Great advice :D

I'm really loving Cal at the moment - I thought I'd hate what he's doing but it's been written and acted out in a funny and pitiful way. Cal and Ethan are great.

I see we're getting a drip drip storyline with Lofty and Robyn then. Lofty's reaction to Louise's comment about prince charming is so common in guys who just don't get the way women think and act! You could tell he was like 'OK, whatever'.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NMdum1 wrote: »

Good to give her a CT-esque case given her existing specialty though and kinda nice that nobody actually died. I presume the stuff with the medicine-cabinet and Rita in the office is just about giving the later reason to suspect her. Pity, although great use of continuity with the reference to Megan Roach.

Very much a transitional, steps-through-the-story-arcs kinda episode. I am proper dreading next week though….

although may have been better if they also made reference to the Hope MND storyline from Holby? I did laugh a bit when Connie said Alfred was a good friend implied comparable to Megan. I was glad Charlie reminded her she had known him a matter of weeks, they are not friends and he is using her!
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe looked so lovely in that evening dress and Max was so handsome. I really hope that they get married.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cal and Ethan: where do I start? It's back to square one with these 2 as they are at loggerheads again and I wonder where there are going with this? Cal needs a reality check.

Connie has been used by Alfred and she is so caught up in her emotions she cannot even see it. Her scene with Charlie is good to watch as he is the one man in the ED who can get through to her and she lets her guard down for. Their scene outside on the staircase was good and some continuity there with a reference to Megan but what about Mrs Hope?

Iain and Dixie, where are they going with this?

The woman who wanted the baby, what an interfering cow. I hate these people who interfere to the point of micromanaging everything. My mother is like that with do this, get that etc. So pleased that the biological mother kept her child

It is not nice to be bullied and it is even worse with people posting on social media. The best way to beat them is not retaliating using violence but being more successful than the bullies. I can understand why the victim of bullying did that and don't help when the school did nothing
    Forum Member
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    Zoe looked so lovely in that evening dress and Max was so handsome. I really hope that they get married.
    They're too happy at the moment and knowing Casualty, happy endings rarely exist in the show. Wouldn't surprise me if someone dies at Zoe and Max's wedding day ;)
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot about Zoe and Max.

Zoe looked stunning in that dress.

Why do I have a feeling something will happen?
  • ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Connie is one of the best ever characters. So complex and she does have a good heart. Love her! Very good acting performances from the actress who plays Connie

Aww love Zoe and Max :)

Hope Dylan gets more screentime.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where was Dylan for most of this episode? He's present for a two minute chat with Zoe but absent elsewhere. Even when Ethan calls for his help dealing with the teacher (the definite teacher, not the only the spoilers said was a teacher but the episode doesn't make it clear), he doesn't turn up.
    Forum Member
    ALowsley wrote: »
    Connie is one of the best ever characters. So complex and she does have a good heart. Love her! Very good acting performances from the actress who plays Connie

Aww love Zoe and Max :)

Hope Dylan gets more screentime.
    Same, I love the character of Connie Beauchamp. She's a very interesting character and I'm loving that she is a dominant female character and she is getting lots of big storylines.

Zoe and Max don't interest me but I'm glad Zoe has happiness. I did like Zoe and Nick Jordan before.
This discussion has been closed.