Options

The Spice Girls

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Yes, they were slightly naff and cheesy, but they released some great pop songs. I think their ballads have aged very well, especially Viva Forever, Goodbye and 2 Become 1. Stop and Who Do You Think You Are are their best upbeat songs.

What are your favourite songs?

Comments

• Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I was a huge fan of theirs at the time, God I was obsessed lol. Judging now however I'd probably say my favourite song of theirs is Say you'll be there
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a MASSIVE fan as a kid since they came out with Wannabe when I was 5. I had all the albums, VHS's, posters, calendars, you name it. I'm still a fan but I struggle to listen to their songs now, mostly the album tracks from 'Spice' as they hold too many happy memories and makes me wanna cry. I cant listen to 'Love Thing' at all because that was my favourite song when I was a kid and now it makes me wanna cry and wish I could turn back the clock

That said, I hope they do one more tour next year and come to Scotland to kinda relive my childhood even if it does make me cry lol
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I used to be a MASSIVE fan as a kid since they came out with Wannabe when I was 5. I had all the albums, VHS's, posters, calendars, you name it. I'm still a fan but I struggle to listen to their songs now, mostly the album tracks from 'Spice' as they hold too many happy memories and makes me wanna cry. I cant listen to 'Love Thing' at all because that was my favourite song when I was a kid and now it makes me wanna cry and wish I could turn back the clock

That said, I hope they do one more tour next year and come to Scotland to kinda relive my childhood even if it does make me cry lol

I love to listen to old songs because of the happy memories.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I love to listen to old songs because of the happy memories.

I wish I could but I cant. I think its because a lot of personal stuff has happened to me since then that it makes me wanna rewind my life back to the time when I was a kid and my life was perfect and carefree.

I do wish I could listen in particular 'Love Thing' which was my favourite song as a kid
    but, and it sounds ridiculas, just singing it in my head makes me wanna well up. it sounds stupid but it just how it makes me feel
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked their first album that much, apart from Say You'll Be There. Spiceworld, however, I think is a brilliant album full of catchy songs. I love just about every track on that album. The less said about their abysmal third album the better, imo! Fave single, probably Spice Up Your Life or Viva Forever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I listen to them on my iPod frequently. Never get bored of them.
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wannabe is my fave. ❤
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have and always will be a huge fan of the spice girls, I don't care that I am 23 and in a professional job I will always love them!

I really did enjoy their first two albums but my favourite was their last without Geri. (probably an unpopular opinion lol) My favourite songs would be 'Let Love Lead The Way', '2 Become 1' and 'Goodbye'. I cried like a baby when Goodbye was released.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walk of Life, Say You'll Be There, Something Kind Funny, My Strongest Suit, Time Goes By, Wasting My Time

Spice Girls are still an obsession of mine lol.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I'm not a huge Spice Girls fan but I love Say You'll Be There and Stop.
  • Options
    BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Viva Forever is beautiful.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore them, have been a massive fan since i very first saw them performing on GMTV, which at first i thought Geri was Gina G with a bunch of back up singers and dancers!

I cant decided out of the first two albums which one i prefer, as it switches from time to time depending on what mood im in, but i do agree Forever was a good album and reflected what was in the charts at the time.

As far as solo albums go, i bought every single one, all differ in terms of quality. my favorites are Free Me, The Sea, Schizophonic, Passion & Hot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Holler is one of my fave Spice songs
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    I listen to them on my iPod frequently. Never get bored of them.

I keep it on the low - but I like good pop music. The Spice Girls certainly produced that
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop is easily their best track for me. It just represents everything that was so good and that I miss about 90s pop. Reach by S Club 7 give me the same feeling.

My fave non single track is definetly Naked. I think its such a slick edgy tune that would be seen as so credible by another band if not by the Spice Girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    Walk of Life, Say You'll Be There, Something Kind Funny, My Strongest Suit, Time Goes By, Wasting My Time

I think that is by far the worst Spice Girls track. Its just so "empty". Its faceless and contrived.

But that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    In terms of the singles, I can listen to them all (inc. "Headlines") except "Mama", which I find vomit-worthy; and "Holler", which is simply an album track, not a single (and not a particularly good album track) - a better single would have been "Oxygen".
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy to say that Spice Girls are a guilty pleasure, especially Wannabe and Spice up your life
  • Options
    FoamFoam Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I love all their songs but Too Much has been my favourite for a while now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Stop is easily their best track for me. It just represents everything that was so good and that I miss about 90s pop. Reach by S Club 7 give me the same feeling.

My fave non single track is definetly Naked. I think its such a slick edgy tune that would be seen as so credible by another band if not by the Spice Girls.

Lots of Spice is quite urban/pop and seen as good if by say All Saints.....Last Time Lover, Something Kinda Funny (my fave) and B-side Baby Come Round
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viva, Too Much and Goodbye are the only three that stand up today for me. But I loved Say You'll Be There, Stop, Spice Up Your Life.

For so few songs they sure got big, shame they didn't do more music during their time.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often find Let Love Lead The Way is massively overlooked as one of their best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    I often find Let Love Lead The Way is massively overlooked as one of their best.

Its a nice tune but I couldn't believe how half arsed it made it appear when I realised they just recycled the chorus from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE9yuvHyXog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of Spice is quite urban/pop and seen as good if by say All Saints.....Last Time Lover, Something Kinda Funny (my fave) and B-side Baby Come Round

What I like about the RnB influenced tracks on the debut is they still have a distinct spiciness and unique feeling about them unlike their later Rodney Jerkins produced stuff that was just them copying the sound of that moment in time.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All Saints! What an underrated group, especially Pure Shores