Dressed Crab recipes and Ideas

minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive bought a tin of dressed Crab...havent cooked with it before..anybody got any ideas of what to serve it with..or any recipes youve put it in.thanks.:)

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Does that mean it has the brown meat in as well?

I've got a tin of white crab meat in the cupboard and when I open it I will be having half with linguine, chilli, lemon (pretty standard) and thai crab cake with the rest (another standard).

I think you can add the brown meat to both. Adding the brown meat to the sauce of the pasta and adding a little to the crab cake. You may have to put more binding in because it may be sloppier. Or just make a dressing with it.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore crab its gorgeous actually I think better than lobster, I always remember buying fresh crab in Newlyn (Cornwall) expensive but it was lovely mixed with prawns for a prawn cocktail.

I mainly use crab when I cook a gumbo....Maryland crab cakes are gorgeous, havent cooked em for a while now, I have a *Old Bay* (proper seasoning for this type of stuff) little cook book .
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brown meat is nice mixed with a little mayo
    And chopped up boiled egg.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for your ideas..they all sound delicious and i intend to try them all.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever tried Crab in peaches? It is one of my favourite starters. Allow one peach half per person!!!

I tin dressed crab (or just the white meat from a fresh crab)
    1 tin of peach halves in juice
    An iceberg lettuce leaf for each of the peach halves
    Mayonnaise
    Double cream
    Dash Worcester sauce
    Lemon juice to taste
    Freshly ground Black pepper
    Paprika to decorate

Drain any excess moisture from crab meat.
    The amount of cream/mayonnaise will vary according to your taste so start with a dessert spoonful and add more as required ..... add to crab meat
    Season with black pepper and lemon juice
    Carefully seperate leaves from iceberg lettuce, wash leaves and pat dry with kitchen towel
    Drain peaches and lay each peach half in a whole leaf
    Add the mixture in heaped mound to peach half
    Sprinkle with paprika or cayenne pepper to taste

Eat getting a bit of each taste and texture in every mouthful using either with cutlery or the leaf to wrap around the peach and crab.

p.s. I'm not normally a fan of combined savoury and sweet tastes and wrinkled my nose when first offered one of these by an Australian friend. They are delicious and everybody I have served them to has been favourably impressed.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you CoffeeLover i actually dont eat Sweet food unless its combined with savoury so that sounds wonderful..will try that out at the weekend definitely.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    Thank you CoffeeLover i actually dont eat Sweet food unless its combined with savoury so that sounds wonderful..will try that out at the weekend definitely.:)

My daughter says forget the mayonnaise (another senior moment from me!).

Do hope that you enjoy it.