Options

Could Take That beat Oasis' record?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Its also worth remembering that albums cost at least a fiver more back in 1997 than they do now.

But also these days selling 30,000 can land you a top 3 record, so selling almost a quarter of a million in 1 day is impressive at the moment.

I don't like Take That... but I'm just saying :p
  • Options
    mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. Oasis are actually talented, whereas Take that, Gary Barlow apart, are overhyped rubbish for little girls.

Those little girls are grown up now.

Plus Gary Barlow is a talented songwriter. I'm surprised people are still disputing this, even if they don't find his stuff to their tastes.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. Oasis are actually talented, whereas Take that, Gary Barlow apart, are overhyped rubbish for little girls.

And some of us are actually music fans, whereas you are talking like a bitter snob.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a fact that more talented people are involved in the new Take That album, Progress, than were involved with Be Here Now! It's better produced too, Be Here Now is a real mess of a production, a huge mash of distortion and strings that Noel is pretty embarrassed about now. Maybe it'll get remixed or at least remastered one day...

Both very different bands but both very important to British music as a whole.
  • Options
    BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    What's with all these pretentious music fans moaning about Take That's fans? Will you people never be happy with any such popular acts selling a lot of records? Get off your high horses.

These days Take That are as popular for the music as anything else. Of course they have a large fanbase and that's helped the sales, but it's the same with any popular mainstream act. Why on earth do some people have a problem with this? It's just how it is. What are they meant to do about it? Many 'real' music fans love Take That's music anyway.

It's not as if they've churned out the same bland rubbish time and time again purely because they know it will sell to their fanbase - like Westlife have always done. Take That are as passionate about their music as anyone, and they've made a superb, bold album which has been well-received and is as deserving of success as most albums this year. Yes it was always going to sell well because they are popular, but like I said - what are they supposed to do about it?

Couldn't agree more with this post, totally amazed with these sales figures especially as album sales in general have been so low this year. Expect another sales surge on Saturday as Take That have the prime time slot on Children In Need, although I dont think they will have best first week sales ever, I expect 500k+ by Sunday.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a fact that more talented people are involved in the new Take That album, Progress, than were involved with Be Here Now! It's better produced too, Be Here Now is a real mess of a production, a huge mash of distortion and strings that Noel is pretty embarrassed about now. Maybe it'll get remixed or at least remastered one day...

Both very different bands but both very important to British music as a whole.

Be Here Now is the dogs danglies.

If Take That manage say 750k in the first week compared to Oasis' 700k in 3 days then they still shouldn't get the record.

Unfair imo.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be Here Now is one of the most legendary Rock n Roll albums of all time.

Everything turned up to 11 not giving a ****. True Rock n roll. 40 odd tracks of guitar. A wall of noise. Everything overly flamboyant and loud.

It is a true legendary album and contains great songs that get overlooked just because it's cool to hate.

Take That's album on the other hand is a safe typical top 40's pop album. Meh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundburst wrote: »

I do like Oasis, big fan, saw them live and all that, but I'd have to question if you've heard Take That record if you make that statement?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Everything turned up to 11 not giving a ****. True Rock n roll. 40 odd tracks of guitar. A wall of noise. Everything overly flamboyant and loud.

It is a true legendary album and contains great songs that get overlooked just because it's cool to hate.

You clearly haven't heard the new album. I am listening to it at the moment for the first time, and it is unlike anything I have ever heard from Take That before and I am a massive fan.

TBH as yet, I'm not keen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does it really matter? its only pop trivia, i think total sales over a long period of time means more.

My mum doesn't like Take That and certainly wouldn't like this album. I am 27 and one of the core fanbase, I had originallly planned to let my husband buy it for either our anniversary or Xmas but after seeing the documentary and then their performance, I couldn't wait!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not a little girl, the bulk of their fanbase are in their 20's - 30's now and probably married with kids. This album is their best ever and will hopefully get some awards!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it is already in the top 25 best selling albums of the year after 1 day! Astonishing.

It has already reached 38 for fastest selling album of all time! The Circus is at 3 with a total of 432490, which I think they will surpass this week.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? You must have a different version to the over-indulgent drugged up one I've got.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Take That have obviously gone the route of Westlife in recent albums with releasing them near Christmas as a lot of people will get their mothers a soppy awl take that album for christmas so that will help sales.

Not to be pedantic, but this album is faaaar from soppy :)

I listened to the album in full for the first time last night. IMO, I thought it was phenomenal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Oasis decided to milk the cash cow like Take That, they could have sold far more than they ended up doing. Instead they gave fans value for many, putting out b side after b side that were worthy of being hit singles.

If this album

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplan-Oasis/dp/B00004RJLE

was released as a proper LP, it would have sold 10m plus worldwide at least. And they continued doing it for their whole career. THAT is what seperates Oasis from money grabbing Take That.

Really? You must have a different version to the over-indulgent drugged up one I've got.

Some people think it's okay, some hate it, some think it's the best album Oasis have released.

each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Take Tha are currently outselling Rihanna 6-1.......I suspect them will at least beat the first week sales for The Circus!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    If Oasis decided to milk the cash cow like Take That, they could have sold far more than they ended up doing. Instead they gave fans value for many, putting out b side after b side that were worthy of being hit singles.

If this album

was released as a proper LP, it would have sold 10m plus worldwide at least. And they continued doing it for their whole career. THAT is what seperates Oasis from money grabbing Take That.

Some people think it's okay, some hate it, some think it's the best album Oasis have released.

each to their own.

If Take That were the money grabbers you claim, why did they not release a typical album expected of them instead changing their whole style instead?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Typical top 40's pop albums have certainly changed then if progress is anything to go by! Unless of course you've not actually heard the album which from that comment I imagine you haven't.

I love how some fm are saying take that are for 50+ mums yet others are saying it's for little girls :D So going by their ticket sales, 1 million 50+ mums will be seeing take that night year! Or is that 1 million little girls :confused:
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »

If this album

each to their own.

The Masterplan was released as an LP wasn't it? What do you mean by 'proper'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a newly converted Take That fan! 18 years old male :) and i GODDAMN LOOOVE PROGRESS!!!! Stuart Price gives fantastic production and the guys are AMAZING, just a quality album!

Oasis are good too though :)

I think that Take That will (hopefully) beat the first week sales of The Circus, it's truely their finest work of their career!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I am a newly converted Take That fan! 18 years old male :) and i GODDAMN LOOOVE PROGRESS!!!! Stuart Price gives fantastic production and the guys are AMAZING, just a quality album!

Oasis are good too though :)

I think that Take That will (hopefully) beat the first week sales of The Circus, it's truely their finest work of their career!

:) The more fans, the merrier! Have you got any of their other stuff?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Maria~ wrote: »
    :) The more fans, the merrier! Have you got any of their other stuff?

well i loved their 90's stuff and since then i was just lost! so the greatest hits from 1996 i have and that's all i wanted really lol.

but so glad Progress realy had a syle i can connect to much more than Beautiful World and The Circus, which are too mid tempo and ballad'y' for me :(

Progress is very synthy and edgy and i love it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Masterplan was released as an LP wasn't it? What do you mean by 'proper'?

It was a b side album released with no promotion after the backlash of be here now.

Only sold 2 million but could have sold so much more. The great songs on there and other b sides that weren't included are now doomed to obscurity. Everyone just remember's Oasis as Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger and Champagne Supernova, which is a shame because they are so much more than that.
    I was reading something the other day where somebody was saying how strange it is the listen to Oasis' b side material up to as far as 2002, because even when you are enjoying the music you can't help but think that it is such a waste, when worse songs make the actual albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't sell a ton in the first week.

Most of the people who bought in the first day were probably dying for the album - and core fanbase.

Take That have obviously gone the route of Westlife in recent albums with releasing them near Christmas as a lot of people will get their mothers a soppy awl take that album for christmas so that will help sales.

But stores like hmv are doing like first week release discounts to encourage album sales to increase.
  • Options
    BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    305,500 sales as of the midweek chart update about 11am this morn