One direction to disband in March

Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ONE Direction will disband in March, The Sun can reveal.

Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan have mutually agreed to an extended hiatus of at least a year to pursue solo projects.

The lads made the decision not to tour again at a meeting in London last weekend.

The world’s most successful band will NOT launch a tour to support their fifth album, a move likely to devastate their millions of fans around the world.

That means their last full concert will be at Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on October 31.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6603566/1D-set-to-disband-after-crunch-talks.html

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    Shock horror. Good for them, they've done well and interest in them is still high enough to pull back for a reunion when they fail In solo endeavours.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Hallelujah.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most boybands like One direction normally have a five year shelf life.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite boring when groups go on hiatus and don't reunite, I wish they would just split in style
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quelle surprise.

The writing was on the wall after Zayn left, they've had a good run for a boyband but I think this is the right time to end it here so there is still interest in their solo material. The boys have had a massive 5 years, touring not stop etc, they deserve a break.

I am surprised they are not doing a 'farewell tour' like the Spice Girls, I thought they would milk it for all they could.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised considering how well they are doing. It's better for them to go out "on top", as it were, but I'm still surprised. Most people would make the mistake of going on and on and losing popularity...

Good luck to them. Hopefully they won't all become as intolerable as Zayn.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Twitter imploded and a special helpline made for councilling like what happened when take that broke up?
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news for those who like real music and those who aren't hard of hearing.

Over-rated, hyped-up pile of pap. I for one won't miss them.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and that's what makes them beautiful.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's cheered up a dull birthday for me.:cool:
    Cowell will be cynically using the new XF series to assemble his next 'supergroup' though.>:(
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    That's cheered up a dull birthday for me.:cool:
    Cowell will be cynically using the new XF series to assemble his next 'supergroup' though.>:(

Ah. Happy Birthday, better late than never:cool:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An "extended hiatus" will probably be an easier way of breaking it to the fans that they'll be splitting for good. They'll likely re-form in 2 or 3 years to do one final tour and that'll be that.

But then good for them. They've ridden the wave while it was at it's highest and hopefully made a good chunk of money out of it.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An "extended hiatus" will probably be an easier way of breaking it to the fans that they'll be splitting for good. They'll likely re-form in 2 or 3 years to do one final tour and that'll be that.

But then good for them. They've ridden the wave while it was at it's highest and hopefully made a good chunk of money out of it.

They will comeback for a greatest hits
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The Sun's 'expert' on such vital matters Dan Wooton says they've made £25 million each,not that I'm jealous or owt.:(>:(
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more One Direction, there'll now be 4 Directions :D

Devastation will ensue.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reem2011 wrote: »
    They will comeback for a greatest hits

Almost certainly. There'll be a couple of new songs tagged on to the end of the album as well. Whether or not they'll do a full world tour or not remains to be seen (not that i personally care :)), but there'll certainly be something.
    The Sun's 'expert' on such vital matters Dan Wooton says they've made £25 million each,not that I'm jealous or owt.:(>:(

As i say, good for them. Even though they're really the pinnacle of mass market music, there's a modicum of talent there with them all being able to sing relatively well. And considering their lives have probably been micro-managed to the N'th degree over the past few years as well, it'll probably be a welcome relief to not have to live and die by the collective schedule.

And i'm wondering why i care so much .. haha :)
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be permanent.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    I'd disagree they can all sing relatively well. Have you heard Louis sing? He makes Cheryl sound like the lovechild of Mariah and Whitney.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Not bad for a band who came third in the X factor and got beaten on the public vote by Tesco Mary most weeks.

Right place right time - lucky them!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »

You beat me to it :D
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone with half a brain knew this was coming. The only ones I can see being successful are Harry and Zayn, Louis and Liam should stick to songwriting and Niall should, I don't know, riverdance?
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix next please:D
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's right they quit on top as it means they will be remembered more fondly than if the ship had already sunk so to speak. It's what Take That did and they were fondly remembered for years afterwards because of it.

The fact is they have done what no other British or Irish boyband have achieved and that's sustained global success and recognition which however unlike the others also included the USA.

I agree it's annoying when a band says 'hiatus' as all that does is keep the fans guessing like NSYNC did. They might as well say they have split and then in time come back unless it is just 2-3 years away.

I think they will be remembered like the Spice Girls a hugely successful fad that took the World by storm but in ten years time won't be remembered for songs but more success.

I'm not sure this is how they would have wanted to tell their fans second hand and with such a long time till March. Surely a Take That press conference or video release would have been better and avoided confusion for their fans.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, its unfair when the others reveal this when it should come from a band. They probably wanted to reveal that after the album campaign. The real indicator will be if it really turns out that they wont tour with it. Thats a bit abrupt though, a proper goodbye would have been better.