Options

Is BT vision actually making any money ? Your thoughts

My daughter has Vision - basically she wanted a cheap freeview box when she moved into her flat and had a good experience with BT broadband at uni. What with the usual BT installation cock ups and tirades from me she got the box for one month's full subscription so no bad deal there.
A friend was a Life on Mars addict so they watched that during the paid period but since then she has used it just for BBC/C4 on demand - that's stopped now it's paid for.

Does anyone actually use the on demand service ? Technically it's pretty impressive (she has full 8Mb broadband where she lives - 100 yds from the exchange) but the content is generally the stuff you can live without and a visit to the DVD rental store gives more choice than downloading a film for the night - and you get to buy popcorn apparently :-)

BTVision seems a very good idea but (as I find with TopUp TV and judging by the offerings from Sky ) the problem is basically a lack of compelling content ANYWHERE !

Your views please.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live by the ondemand stuff. I have wasted many a weekend watching series of shows back to back...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Judging by the amount of people that I visit that use the VOD I would be amazed if they havent started to make money by now.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yannyjnr wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of people that I visit that use the VOD I would be amazed if they havent started to make money by now.

I doubt if BT will make any money out of Vision for Years. Nothing wrong with it at all. I seem to remember seeing that Sky did not make anything out of Digital or Sky+ until, they had millions of customers. Just to cover the infrastructure, set up and initial giveaways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I have the TV value pack (admittedily after renewing my contract and getting a discount on it). If you have a young family then it is really good value for money. The Kids shows are worth it for themselves (don't forget kids will watch same program over and over again without getting bored with it - that alone would cost alot eother buying the DVD, renting from a shop or paying per 24hour rental on VOD).

As for making any money - berhthesherb is right; the mission for the first few years of these type of services is not to make money but to build a customer base and introduce services to them that will be profitable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if they are making money or not, but the On Demand content is fantastic. There's so much choice. And just noticed that Warner TV is repeating their content every 3 months aswell as adding new content too.

BT would get their money back quicker if they had a better marketing company and had a better What's On guide either online or listings magazine. If people realised exactly what and how much content there is they would get many more people joining up. And they need to get this sorted before more suppliers offer a similar service.

But for me. I love it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Probably not, but surely the main aim of BT Vision is to retain existing Broadband customers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I think BT Vision is a well kept secret.

The on demand content is amazing and more is added all the time.

I personally love it and think it's better than Sky.

I have just watched 6 episodes of Porridge Series 3 over 2 days, all free in my pack - bargain!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    madteza wrote: »
    I think BT Vision is a well kept secret.

New CEO Ian Livingston said recently that BT Vision put on more viewers than Sky and Virgin combined last quarter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    i live in a shared house with two others. in the year or so that we have had BTV i can honestly count the times we have used on-demand on my fingers, must be 7-8 times at most in a year. and most of those are when kids come to visit (cartoons on demand etc).
    BUT...
    what we do use all day, every day is the hard drive for time shifting and recording. it has totally changed the way we watch TV. Can't even remember the last adverts i had to sit through, we just zap them every time.
    series recording is a blessing, we all have our favourites set-up and hardly ever watch 'live' TV any more - would guess 90% of our viewing is time shifted to suit us rather than the networks.
    So even though we dont use (or pay!) for our BTV we really do love it.
    :)