What are your most annoying plot holes in films?

Comments

• marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    But weren't the girl with the slit wrists and Mischa Barton aware of the fact that they were dead?

I don't see how Bruce Willis could have possibly got into the house without realising that all was not well.
    It's like the cupboard in front of the door to his study, the massive hole in his back and the fact that no one looked at or spoke to him, he rationalised it all away because he wasn't ready to accept that he was dead so he came up with other explanations for things.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Independence Day, where they upload the virus ..........

The Aliens are obviously using Windows 2000, but Jeff Goldblum - being a Geek - was into Linux ........

(ok ok, but it's still a serious point. You can't just upload "a virus" into a completely unknown alien computer!).
    How do you know?
    How many alien computers have you tried infecting with a virus?:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Independence Day, where they upload the virus ..........

The Aliens are obviously using Windows 2000, but Jeff Goldblum - being a Geek - was into Linux ........

(ok ok, but it's still a serious point. You can't just upload "a virus" into a completely unknown alien computer!).

Durrr.

He was using an Alienware laptop!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Not sure if I dreamt this but I swear I've watched a deleted scene where Biff fades away shortly after returning to the original 2015.

I think that's related to Old Biff clutching at his chest. The change to the time line happen as a 'ripple effect'. They aren't immediate. That's how Marty doesn;t instantly vanish in part one.

ETA, found it on youtube. See here from about 58 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8sr98MUBs
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    That was explained in the movie when the autobots meet at the observatory prior to Megatrons escape from the Hoover Dam.

oh . do you know what was said ?
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh . do you know what was said ?

Jazz:
    "What about Bumblebee? Whe can't just leave him to die! And become some human experiment!"

Optimus Prime:
    He'll die in vain if we don't accomplish our mission. Bumblebee is a brave soldier. This is what he would want.

Ironhide:
    "Why are we fighting to save the humans? They're a primitive, violent race."

Optimus Prime:
    "Were we so different? They are a young species. They have much to learn... but I've seen goodness in them. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings... You all know there's only one way to end this war: We must destroy the Cube. If all else fails, I will unite it with the spark in my chest."

Ratchet:
    "That's suicide. The Cube is raw power it could destroy you both."

Optimus Prime:
    "A necessary sacrifice to bring peace to this planet... We cannot let the humans pay for our mistakes. It's been an honor serving with you all. Autobots, roll out!"

Jazz:
    "We rollin'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Jazz:
    "What about Bumblebee? Whe can't just leave him to die! And become some human experiment!"

Optimus Prime:
    He'll die in vain if we don't accomplish our mission. Bumblebee is a brave soldier. This is what he would want.

Ironhide:
    "Why are we fighting to save the humans? They're a primitive, violent race."

Optimus Prime:
    "Were we so different? They are a young species. They have much to learn... but I've seen goodness in them. Freedom is the right of all sentient beings... You all know there's only one way to end this war: We must destroy the Cube. If all else fails, I will unite it with the spark in my chest."

Ratchet:
    "That's suicide. The Cube is raw power it could destroy you both."

Optimus Prime:
    "A necessary sacrifice to bring peace to this planet... We cannot let the humans pay for our mistakes. It's been an honor serving with you all. Autobots, roll out!"

Jazz:
    "We rollin'

so ... the autobots knew that the cube would destroy the big bad robot ... ?

well why not just hand it to him sooner and save all the destruction and death that did happen ?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    It's not a cube. It's a rectangular cuboid.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so ... the autobots knew that the cube would destroy the big bad robot ... ?

well why not just hand it to him sooner and save all the destruction and death that did happen ?

You had to stick it in his chest for it to kill him (ie. the "spark" of life in the transformers). He'd be able to hold it in his big, metal hands quite happily (as Bumblebee did earlier).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    In Back To The Future how come Marty Mcfly's parents don't realise that Calvin Klein is a spitting image for their son once he returns to the present day? Presumably George must be wondering who the father is... :D

Who's to say they don't? :)
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not a plot hole but in The Disappearance Of Alice Creed the ransom money is delivered to / obtained by the kidnappers with unlikely ease, in fact, no difficulty is reported, this is almost impossible.

In real life and in fiction, the handover of the ransom money is the most intractible of problems, to come up up with a failsafe system of cash collection WITHOUT being caught is a bit tricky.

The kidnapper's position is untenable, chances are they will be caught ( if the police are doing their job that is ),

However, I can't remember if, in the film, Alice's father has involved the police, if not, all of the above is incorrect. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    OK, I'm not sure if many people have seen this film, funnily enough called The Hole, but I watched it on Film4 the other day.. it was full of plot holes, but this was the one that stuck out.
    1. The premise of the film is that 4 teenagers get locked in a disused war bunker, and Thora Birch tries to frame this geeky guy, Martin, by saying he locked them in from the outside. She says he waited for 17 days or whatever, until three of them were dead, then unlocked the door letting her out.

2. So Thora Birch gets out of the bunker, goes to the cops, who then arrests the geek, who was on holiday in the Bahamas with his parents. At no point throughout the entire film do any of the police question Birch's version of events and they spend all of the film convinced it was him.

PLOT HOLE: If he was on holiday in the Bahamas, who the frig unlocked the door to let Birch out of the bunker?? They even arrested him at the airport! How stupid are the police?
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hush

It's a great film but...

- What & why are the baddies doing with the women?

- How is the woman who pretends to be a escapee captive involved with the other two guys and how are they linked?

I'm sure there's more...
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re The Hole.

delete
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

One of the biggest and most augued in recent times...

At the begining of Alien 3, where did that little egg on the Sulaco come from? How did it get in such a hidden place? The Queen couldn't have put it there, she was only on the ship for a few minutes and spent that time trying to grab Newt and then fighting Ripley. No way of producing the egg, let alone going around trying to find somewhere to hide it before returning to the hiding place for the big reveal where she grabs Bishop and rips him in two halves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

One of the biggest and most augues in recent times...

At the begining of Alien 3, where did that little egg on the Sulaco come from? How did it get in such a hidden place? The Queen couldn't have put it there, she was only on the ship for a few minutes and spent that time trying to grab Newt and then fighting Ripley. No way of producing the egg, let alone going around trying to find somewhere to hide it before returning to the hiding place for the big reveal where she grabs Bishop and rips him in two halves.

I would assume she laid it in the landing gear area of the drop ship where she was hiding . however - rather stupid of them not to check before going to sleep !

• pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would assume she laid it in the landing gear area of the drop ship where she was hiding . however - rather stupid of them not to check before going to sleep!
    The shot of the egg shows it in a corridor somewhere on the ship, presumably near the sleeping quarters, so it wasn't in the landing area, but was in an area that she could never have got to in the time given, or even fitted through the doors for that matter. And seeing as she detached herself from her egg making sack, how did she make the egg anyway to leave behind?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shot of the egg shows it in a corridor somewhere on the ship, presumably near the sleeping quarters, so it wasn't in the landing area, but was in an area that she could never have got to in the time given, or even fitted through the doors for that matter. And seeing as she detached herself from her egg making sack, how did she make the egg anyway to leave behind?

who's to say it was that queen who laid an egg on the spaceship though? Newt could've easily been impregnated (is that the right word for it? :confused:) when she was captured and it couldve been her alien that was a queen and laid the egg thingy for ripley's and kyle reese's. but then that leaves the question where did those aliens go? :confused: i dunno lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Jurassic Park.

Putting the electricity mains switch in a room on the other side of the raptor paddock. Designer ought to have been shot.

what about the T Rex tiptoeing into the main building and no one noticing
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jurassic Park II - How did the great big dinosaur eat people at the end of very small ships corridors?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member

One of the biggest and most augued in recent times...

Agreed - the whole start of that film was utter rubbish; I think they were relying on people not remembering what happedned at teh end of Aliens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    crazymonk wrote: »
    Hush

It's a great film but...

- What & why are the baddies doing with the women?

- How is the woman who pretends to be a escapee captive involved with the other two guys and how are they linked?

I'm sure there's more...

People/sex trafficking.

The girl who pretends to help him is obviosuly one of the captured women who has been told to get rid of him or she will be killed. She was acting under duress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    But weren't the girl with the slit wrists and Mischa Barton aware of the fact that they were dead?

I don't see how Bruce Willis could have possibly got into the house without realising that all was not well.

Thats a good point
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    The Hangover - at the beginning they show a shot of the hotel trying to get a mattress down from the roof where the groom had put it to signal for help. Surely if this was the case, he would have been rescued immediately therefore rendering the entire movie pointless!

I thoroughly enjoyed the film but that one scene (which didn't add anything) ruined the entire thing for me