Matt Cardle - When We Collide

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the final songs were both terrible choices last night.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suniil wrote: »
    Matt is not a manufactured pop artist, hence he deserves no. 1. Also he don't need any help from instrumentalist to do an unplugged / acoustic version, which is very very rare in XF history.

What? Matt came from X-Factor, hence he's a manufactured pop artist. He sold out any credibility he had the minute he left his band to go on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy with the winner and winners song this year, hence why i bought the single. Last year i was in the rage against the XFactor camapign but Matt is an actual artist and now he has his break.

His own songs are pretty good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijSQRkXXx8&feature=related
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    To the general public this song will most likely not be familiar and will be thought of as an original, those who know it are less likely to be the people who would get involved with the X Factor.

Meanwhile, Syco have passed off a cover song as a more edgy single than ever before!

Biffy allowed it for the easy money. Perhaps the song's name change is a way to keep a distance from the X Factor's version of the track.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Why change the title? I'm surprised Biffy Clyro/their record company allowed it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

To be honest it's really irked me that they've changed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Winterland wrote: »
    To the general public this song will most likely not be familiar and will be thought of as an original, those who know it are less likely to be the people who would get involved with the X Factor.

Meanwhile, Syco have passed off a cover song as a more edgy single than ever before!

Biffy allowed it for the easy money. Perhaps the song's name change is a way to keep a distance from the X Factor's version of the track.

Biffy never allowed anything. There's no requirement in the UK to ask anyone to make a cover song. You just have to be sure that the royalties are paid. This is why so many songs are destroyed when covered because the acts who done the original have little say.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised they chose this song for Matt - because like 'Hallelujah' in 2008 it's bringing out the 'musical snobbery' in some people.
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised they chose this song for Matt - because like 'Hallelujah' in 2008 it's bringing out the 'musical snobbery' in some people.

This is exactly why Matt will flop. They'll try to target him to the wrong audience, as usual. He needs to be a "mum's artist" because it's likely they are the ones who voted for him (demographics, I believe, were over 35s with Joe for example).

What Matt wants is to be a credible act and write his own stuff. However, he has the massive "X-Factor" label which he is never going to shake off and they're apparently rushing his album to get it released earlier than they usually would.

Steve Brookstein was dropped because he wanted more artistic control (and Steve sold over 250,000 albums).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Song's alright but it'll be funny to see people with there "I hate this cover because the orginal is so much better" pretentiousness and hypocrisy when in fact the guy sings it very well.

Anyway what an odd song to cover as an xfactors winner song. I genuinely hope he goes down the singer/songwriter or folky sort of route and not the traditional pile of crap that have came out previously.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mvood wrote: »
    Song's alright, it'll be funny to see people with there "I hate this cover because the orginal is so much better" pretentiousness and hypocrisy when in fact the guy sings it very well.

That's the problem right there - people think it's only ever about the vocals :rolleyes:

Some of us actually prefer the Biffy version not because of the vocals, but because the instrumentation is better. More intricate use of dynamics, more prominent guitar, no shitty key change...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    That's the problem right there - people think it's only ever about the vocals :rolleyes:

Some of us actually prefer the Biffy version not because of the vocals, but because the instrumentation is better. More intricate use of dynamics, more prominent guitar, no shitty key change...

Are you really going to go down that route?

the Original is good, the song is pretty mediocre - as a cover it's decently done/sung.
    No the instrumentation isn't better no it's not as dynamic no there's not as much guitar and yes there's shitty key changes but guess what? HE'S NOT A BAND.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    The song itself isn't one of Biffy's best, so I'm a bit confused as to why people are getting so angry about this (not just on here). I'm a big Biffy fan, but tbh, it doesn't really bother me. Matt sings it pretty well, although I obviously prefer Simon's vocals. Either way, it'll be a nice little earner, and profile boost for Biffy. I'm sure they're not too fussed.
    Forum Member
    Are you really going to go down that route?

the Original is good, the song is pretty mediocre - as a cover it's decently done/sung.
    No the instrumentation isn't better no it's not as dynamic no there's not as much guitar and yes there's shitty key changes but guess what? HE'S NOT A BAND.

Why does someone have to be a band to have a decent instrumental track?!?! :confused:
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the name change was a good idea tbh seeming as it only actually says "many of horror" like twice throughout the song aha

I think it's quite insulting that X Factor thinks its viewers need to hear the title of the song in the chorus to enjoy it.

Are people that stupid they need this?

It's called Many of Horror, whether it's sung 5000 times in the song, or not at all, that is the name the writer chose.

Let's rename Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows "The A Then And Is" because they are the most used words in the book.
    Forum Member
    Tbh, I imagine they called it When We Collide to differentiate between the two, and to make it more 'Matt's song' than just a cover. We all know what they're like.
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Tbh, I imagine they called it When We Collide to differentiate between the two, and to make it more 'Matt's song' than just a cover. We all know what they're like.

It also stops people knowing it's a cover. If they search for it on iTunes (or whatever) they won't get both songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does someone have to be a band to have a decent instrumental track?!?! :confused:

I didn't mean it like that. I was just trying to highlight how peoples comparisons with instrumentation etc are stupid seeing as it's a band versus a singer.

Pretensiousness aside the cover is good.

Also I'm not an Xfactor fan I couldn't have cared less who won :cool:
    Forum Member
    I didn't mean it like that. I was just trying to highlight how peoples comparisons with instrumentation etc are stupid seeing as it's a band versus a singer.

Pretensiousness aside the cover is good.

The music market, especially them more acclaimed and credible side, is always pretentious. This is part of the reason that I believe Matt will flop if they try to attempt to market him towards that scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Matt's version. He's incredible. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music market, especially them more acclaimed and credible side, is always pretentious. This is part of the reason that I believe Matt will flop if they try to attempt to market him towards that scene.

That's a good point but i do believe he would suit the singer/songwriter label rather than some manufactured indie/pop route I can see Simon taking him.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find it amusing that so many folk are defending the artistic integrity of a group who took the Cowell shilling and coincidentally are quoted today as sticking up for the show and Cowell.

Clearly Biffy whatstheir name don't give a flying eff, so why should anyone else?
    Forum Member
    That's a good point but i do believe he would suit the singer/songwriter label rather than some manufactured indie/pop route I can see Simon taking him.

From an early stage in the competition I always said he'd fit in with the likes of James Blunt, but I'm not sure that "scene" is even still popular. James Blunt sold something like 2.4 million copies of his debut album, around 700,000 of his second album but the album he released in 2010 only sold 100,000 in the UK.
    Forum Member
    He's definitely talented, and probably the winner who is most suited to my own tastes, but I'll reserve judgement until his first proper single.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suniil wrote: »
    Matt is not a manufactured pop artist, hence he deserves no. 1

That's a very presumptiuos, slightly illogical statement to make.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not always but I can see where you are coming from.There is always the rare exception that actually deserves the credibility.Success in the pop field usually has little to do with credibility.Like it or not Matt is a pop star / is going to be aimed at the single buying market - that is what $yco does.He is signed to $yco (this last sentence does seem to be stating the obvious but many of you seem to forget what this actually means).The pop market is very pretentious - it is based on hype.Pop artist hardly get any where near matching the hype they get.It is going to difficult to hype Matt up however - how exactly are they going to pitch that hype.