Options

It's Paul Burling

Comments

• Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I liked the show and thought he was very good.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I am usually pretty hard to please, but I thoroughly enjoyed his show. His impressions were spot on, and he is a very likeable personality. :)

The Comedy Annual on now is DIRE!

Hosted by that gurning idiot Schofield, and the first "comedian" on is the vile Jason Manford, who is about as funny as piles! :eek:
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paul Burling show just wasn't quite good enough in my opinion. As others have mentioned it was hampered by a cheap production and repetetive sketches, as well as at times poor impressions (Simon Cowell, Roy and Hayley, Dannii Minogue and pretty much everything the second male impressionist did...)

There were funny moments, but overall it lacked any laugh out loud moments and unfortunately I have a feeling that that show may have been the beginning and end of Mr Burling's TV career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half an hour fine
    An hour too long
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Half an hour fine
    An hour too long

I agree, but I think ITV thought: well we can fill in one hour and destroy his career in the process...:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, it wasn't the best but it was better then I expected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I only lasted half an hour, then I went upstairs. The impressions I saw were bad, there was possibly two by Paul himself that I thought was OK - meaning I could guess who he was impersonating straight away - but even his better impressions were not top marks, his Graham Norton had a hint of Lloyd Grossman in which kept on throwing me.

The other impersonators were not fantastic either - only the one who did Stacey Soloman was good, the other woman was poor in all her impressions, and the two other blokes were rubbish.

That Ann Widdecombe sketch was terrible and none of my family understood who they were suppose to be until they said Ann and Anton in the actual sketch. We are not fans of Strictly but I know who both the people are and they sounded nothing like them.

I think the mistakes were to higher the other impersonators and that the sketches themselves (never mind the impressions) were not funny, which meant you spent half the sketch trying to work out who they are meant to be and then you sit there waiting for the funny bit to appear and it never came to fruition.

I agree with other posters, I wish the guy well but he really needed to join an impression show rather than create his own, so he could concentrate on the ones he can do well and practice the other ones.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Liked the stand up but think he's a one trick pony. Too much Wayne Rooney/Simon Cowell stuff. Nowt like them.
    That guy who did paul o grady and robbie williams. I mean, he didnt even try did he!
    His Graham Norton and Harry Hill were spot on. Why does everyone have a go at Dannii's face, I cant see whats wrong. Moves every time i see her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Rooney....awful and I didn't need to seem it in 3 sketchs to no that.

You can tell he has been doing Pontins etc for years as how dated was the stand up......Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, the Mitchells ? I was waiting for the Frank Spencer and Mavis.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Hit & miss. Still better than Jon "I can only do Russell Crowe" Culshaw though.
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watched the first little bit then thought I'd find something else to do. His Marcus Bentley just sounded like a man with a Newcastle accent and the whole "day xxx in the job centre" has been done by tons of comedians already in comedy clubs. His Graham Norton seemed okay but didn't seem to go anywhere.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i only watched the first half hr as well, it started ok but by half way i was bored and turned over
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    His first joke appeared to be about somebody who'd lost his job with the punchline being he'd had his house repossessed :confused: and the audience were rolling in the aisles :(
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the show overall, but his Roy Cropper was extremely poor! Nothing like him at all, and I agree with the poster who said it was more John Stape than Roy, that went through my mind as I watched as well!

Loved his Graham Norton and most of the others were ok, but the lady at the end just wasn't ugly enough to pull off Gillian McKeith well!
  • Options
    silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    It wasnt bad but there was far too much X-Factor related stuff [ Simon Cowell, Cole, Danni Minogue] repeated.
    I thought the female impressionist was great! Her Stacey Solomon was spot on.
    Give HER her own tv show!
  • Options
    StripeysoxStripeysox Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Only caught the last 10 mins or so when the Paul O'Grady bit was on. Didn't miss much by the sounds of it. Didn't laugh once, the Harry Hill voice was good but not funny. Never heard of him before, probably wont again.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Very good, I thought the female impressionist was excellent especially ''Okay luv, the last wee while has been the best dayz of me life but I've had to make a decisun an Yu're thru to ma final three. I'll see yu at the confessions round''. The main critcism I would give is I thought it would have worked better for half an hour and maybe if they had made it a bit more structured as well, maybe they could have done sketches of the main events of the year and done it in monthly order as that's basically what most of the sketches were about and whilst I know that's the point of a sketch show it still did feel a bit too random at times.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! :eek:

I only watched a minute of this pile of vile. My eyes and ears couldn't take anymore than that.

I only really saw the "Gary Barlow" and "Robbie Williams" sketch (if you can call it that). What a load of rubbish. It looked like something a group of GCSE students would do for an end of term talent show (believe me, I've been there and done it!).

Gary was OK at best and whoever was trying to be Robbie was just dire. If I were him, I'd be expecting my P45 any day now...
  • Options
    daffy1daffy1 Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    the show was funny in parts but the woman doing stacy soloman made me laugh. I thik if it had been a half hour show it would have been better. I thought the bit at the end, when they did 'Im a celeb ' with Shaun, Stacy and Gillian was funny.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    It was his first show and was entertaining - some of the impressions were a bit off, but some were spot on.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am gutted I want this guy to do well and I was a huge fan of him when he was on BGT but I feel that didn't show off his talents that he showed on BGT at all... Hopefully it gets more positive reviews then negative reviews though and I hope he can have a series and then I can truely judge him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    awful show. not funny at all. his impressions are generally bad (apart from Harry Hill and a couple of others). Some of John Culshaw's impressions are bad, but Burling beats him by a mile. It's a shame that Rory Bremner went so political, as he's the best impressionist we've got by a mile.
  • Options
    sugapunksugapunk Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was quite possibly the worst show I've seen on ITV in a long time. And that's saying something.
  • Options
    FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought a few of his impressions were spot on, but I didn't actually think they were very funny. That Ann Widdecombe & Anton Du Beke sketch was pretty horrendous!

Was the show a one-off, or is there a full series?
  • Options
    80sQueen80sQueen Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman doing Stacey Solomon.. is she the same lady that does Claudia when Debra whatsname is doing Davina on The Impressions Show?