Options

Rock bands with female lead singers.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Power metal band Evenmore has quite a singer in Melissa Bonny as well.

Here she is singing Epica https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y7BhCHDOLQ

And Hozier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlEGIQGEfc
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tezaura is another one - they call themselves neo gothic rock/melodic metal. Whatever they are, I do like the singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkiXd99dXTA
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Letter to cleo
    Belly
    Drugstore
    God's Girlfriend
    Breeders

Much as I love Drugstore, I don't think Isabelle's voice could be described as a 'rock voice', or that she could be described as a great singer
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I don't want the Blondie fans to come after me, but I find them overrated. To me, Debbie Harry is very much a fashion and cultural icon but overrated musically. Parallel Lines is amazing but the albums they've made since they got back together are kind of hit and miss. And yes, I agree the times I've seen her perform recently her voice hasn't been so good.
    Hm! I don't think Blondie were overrated at all. Nearly all their hit singles were highly original, melodic and withstand the test of time. And Debbie Harry had an instantly recognisable voice as well as a great image. I still think Rapture is possibly their greatest song as well as being the first commercial rap hit to top the charts, and one which Debbie Harry co-wrote. Still sounds brilliant today and I'm not generally a fan of rap.. Blondie were of the best post-punk bands, who thoroughly deserved their success
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want the Blondie fans to come after me, but I find them overrated. To me, Debbie Harry is very much a fashion and cultural icon but overrated musically. Parallel Lines is amazing but the albums they've made since they got back together are kind of hit and miss. And yes, I agree the times I've seen her perform recently her voice hasn't been so good.

I won't come after you! I see why you said that though...music fans can be downright deranged sometimes. :o
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some great bands mentioned above, I'll add Genitorturers.
  • Options
    SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitten
    Best Coast
    Florence & The Machine
    Hole
    VersaEmerge
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ Harvey
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're pop not rock.

I saw The Like and they could certainly rock live :)
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I disagree, I think the first three albums, Blondie, Plastic Letters, and Parallel Lines, are superb. For me Plastic Letters will always be their best album.
  • Options
    golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I love singer/songwriter/guitarist Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders.

♡♡♡
    Incredible voice !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, I think the first three albums, Blondie, Plastic Letters, and Parallel Lines, are superb. For me Plastic Letters will always be their best album.
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that and Debbie Harry is an amazing lyricist. Outside their heyday, my favourite track is Golden Rod, off the Curse Of Blondie album. Now that really does rock.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't necessarily like the phrase female fronted but Alt-Rock has supplied many great bands like this, some have already been mentioned but others include:

Altered Images
    L7
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Sugarcubes
    The Passions
    The Cocteau Twins
    Strawberry Switchblade
    Bikini Kill
    Babes in Toyland
    Daisy Chainsaw
    Slowdive
    Lush
  • Options
    golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Courtney Love is another female musician I enjoy listening too -

Her style with the band Hole is grunge but after their break up has recorded some great solo tracks.

Letter to God is very emotional
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    golden ray wrote: »
    Courtney Love is another female musician I enjoy listening too -

Her style with the band Hole is grunge but after their break up has recorded some great solo tracks.
    Letter to God is very emotional
    l agree! Huge Courtney Love and Hole fan. But I wouldn't say all of Hole's music is grunge. Their last album Celebrity Skin is more of a pop/rock album with even some Fleetwood Mac influences.
    Malibu is my favorite Hole track.
    Courtney kind of disowned her solo album America's Sweetheart, but it has some good songs. I really like Uncool and Almost Golden.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babymetal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitten
    Best Coast
    Florence & The Machine
    Hole
    VersaEmerge

Great choices. I really like the new Best Coast album California Nights. I'm not familiar with VersaEmerge. Will have to check them out.
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cay.Very underrated UK answer too hole the lead singer past away in 2011.

Best Coast
    Courtney Barrnet
    Gateway Crosier
    Eric Trip-Underrated Canadian band both Female and Male vocals.
    NY Loose.
    Lush
    The Cranes.

Austra. Canadian electronic band worth a listen.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    PJ Harvey
    I was wondering if anyone was going to mention her, although she never really fronted a name band as such (apart from the PJ Harvey band early in her career). It's mainly been her using various backing musicians over the years. She hasn't performed live or cut a new album for ages now, and I thought she may have quietly retired. Now I read she's recording a new album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird though it might sound, I think PJ Harvey was actually the name of the band, whereas she is known as Polly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone was going to mention her, although she never really fronted a name band as such (apart from the PJ Harvey band early in her career). It's mainly been her using various backing musicians over the years. She hasn't performed live or cut a new album for ages now, and I thought she may have quietly retired. Now I read she's recording a new album

Her last album Let England Shake was released in 2011. I'm not sure that qualifies as "ages", given how long people like Kate Bush or George Michael take between albums. But she's kind of moved away from rock. Let England Shake had more of a folk sound and her album before that White Chalk was piano based. Her last truly rock album Uh Huh Her was in 2004. She has talked about wanting to experiment more so I don't see her making another conventional guitar based rock album again. So although she was a rock artist in the past, I wouldn't classify her as a rock artist now.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Throwing Muses

The Duke Spirit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleater Kinney

And a new group EX Hex, both of which are all female bands.