Florence and the Machine - awful, awful, awful

13»

Comments

• DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was brilliant last night. The people slaggimg her off couldn't be more wrong, and this thread is as wrong 6 years ago as it is now. All three of her albums are consistently good. No she's not everyone's cup of tea but some people on here exaggerate why they don't like her. Can't wait to see her in September. And the Kate Bush comparisons are as lazy as they are tedious. They sound nothing alike - it's as if people just read it in an NME article and just keep parroting it since like sheep, just like with Radiohead and Muse comparisons (one which hasn't been relevant since 2001).
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't ever expect Foo Fighter fans would be won over by Flo Welch, so she had a big problem there before she even started. Having said that I didn't think Flo was at her best last night. She'd been singing really well at recent gigs, particularly at Coachella 2 months ago, where she did a great set and won over the Yanks big time I thought she had put her vocal problems (bellowing and shouting her way through songs) behind her. But it seems she's back to her old ways again which was a disappointment for me. Still, The Telegraph, Independent, Guardian and NME reviews were very positive.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence live is about the atmosphere and energy she creates, she can stand still and sing note perfect if required,

But at her best she is a festival performer who brings the crowd in, it is why last night the crowd loved her. In fact Glastobury in general loves her.

Not about being note perfect but about the overall performance. She is the best festival act around by a long distance,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    The trouble with Florence & the Machine is that they promise so much, but they only have 4 or 5 good songs.

Whereas Foo Fighters are a rank average band, but they shit out catchy tunes despite themselves.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble with Florence & the Machine is that they promise so much, but they only have 4 or 5 good songs.

Whereas Foo Fighters are a rank average band, but they shit out catchy tunes despite themselves.

I'd disagree I've followed them since the beginning and thus far they have created three albums worth of solid material. Ceremonials is still a fantastic album one of the best of this decade.

But of course it is all personal preference, as a whole they are marmite :).
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recent album was good but not great. I was surprised by how tame the arrangements and production were for such a supposedly big band.

Still, we're in the midst of a middle class takeover so no surprise she's a hit.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to steer clear of Florence, every time I hear her "sing" it sounds like a thousand cats mating and my eardrums just can't take it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her own arrangement of Sweet nothing was a lot better than the racket Calvin harris did. I thought it was a dreadful song by him and Flo. But when stripped down with better production, you actually hear and understand the lyrics better.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Kanye West, I'll never call another artist awful again. He has redefined the word, anyone else now appears quite reasonable in comparison.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence and the Machine is basically a female friendly Hawkwind without Lemmy and the naked dancing
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I think Florence is amazing, the notes she hits are incredible.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Imo she is too wreckless live, cannot believe she was the number 1 album in America, the music makes my ears bleed
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    In terms of looks a little bit, but muscially no. Unlike Kate, Flo actually produces fantastic music and not shitty lyrics like I use mouthwash, sometimes i floss, i got a family and i drink cups of tea. I mean oh my god. What dreadful lyrics. What has her having a family got to with her using mouthwash.
    It rhymed with floss :D Actually I quite liked Kate at that point .. there was something endearing about her on that album and it was quite tongue in cheek but with a sting. Haven't liked her stuff much since though.

Flo is superb .. she's a little bit bonkers and other wordly which is all to the good. Love 'Build This Ship To Wreck' and compared to Kanye .. she's a genius! :cool:
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I think Florence is amazing, the notes she hits are incredible.
    Some of the notes she hits could make a dog whimper.

Was all that running across stage a search for the right key?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I try to steer clear of Florence, every time I hear her "sing" it sounds like a thousand cats mating and my eardrums just can't take it.

^^ This :D:D:D
    And I can listen to most things, but that is just painful and too much
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Singing in tune has never been her strong point!

But than I'd rather watch Flo than that complete d*ck called Kanye West.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flo is bae
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,997
    Forum Member
    She is an acquired taste, certainly.

I didn't like her voice for a long time but I liked the songs. It took a while for me.

Having her headline Glastonbury was always going to divide opinion.
    musicdude wrote: »
    I can't get over how much i love Flo

She is the odd one out next to Ladyhawke in my music collection. Halo is stunning from her.

Are there any Flo and the machine appreciation thread created?

Yes
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence will always split the crowd. She really did emerge as a festivals artist and her performances live reflect that. She isn't and never will be a stand there and sing it.performer. She can do that, but her live performances are all about energy and atmosphere.

You're either going to buy into it or not. But she's a huge act now so clearly millions and millions have bought into it.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her set at Glastonbury was pure madness, I enjoyed it immensely. What a wonderfully crazy woman.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it!

Without singling out any performances, I'd suggest that the promoters of such events know that they can get away with any old shite. So much so that the worst offenders tend to have an on-stage air about them as if to say; "I'm good, ain't I?"

There are so many people willing to fork out silly money, just to be able to say to their friends, "I was there."

It proves that it's possible for many people to have a good time, regardless of the quality of some of the performances.

But it ain't Woodstock.
  • creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member

But it ain't Woodstock.

Been to both have you? How on earth are they even comparable?

Or have you just watched the BBC coverage (which you've slagged off since they began covering it)

Glastonbury isn't just what the BBC show you